Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got astigmatism. I want to add a dot sight to my PPQ Q5 <poly> Match, but I have been told I will probably do much better using a green rather than the more common red dot. They are probably correct. I had an ultradot on a rifle and the red "dot" was more like a long squiggle. I have only found one sight that I believe will work in my price range: Holosun 407-green. Holosun makes at least one more green dot, but it's outside my budget of less than $300.

Anyone know of another green dot for the PPQ Q5 under $300? Also, I have heard that Holosun uses the Trijicon sight base included with the PPQ Q5; anyone confirm that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holosun does use the RMR footprint. They are really good optics for the price. Unfortunately I can’t speak for your astigmatism vs mine because they very so much (at least my doc says) but I’ve seen an improvement using the green dot vs red dot. Thankfully my contacts clear it up enough I still use red. I did use a green dot at a range day on I rifle and it was much better for me without my contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
As far as red vs green, my M&P has a Trijicon RMR06 with a 3.25MOA red dot. Don't have any issues with it despite my astigmatism. I have a Vortex Strikefire on one of my ARs. It does red and green. The green stands out better in bright light but it's too bright, even turn the brightness down, in dim light.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holosun does use the RMR footprint. They are really good optics for the price. Unfortunately I can’t speak for your astigmatism vs mine because they very so much (at least my doc says) but I’ve seen an improvement using the green dot vs red dot. Thankfully my contacts clear it up enough I still use red. I did use a green dot at a range day on I rifle and it was much better for me without my contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply J. Good to get confirmation about the Holosum/RMR-Trijicon match. I believe I will end up trying the Holosun green dot. I have not used a "red dot" sight on a pistol since the long ago Optima; remember those? I had on on a Sig 220. Worked pretty good, but it make the pistol a bit cumbersome for carry, so I sold that pistol. Wish I still had it. Back then my astigmatism wasn't a factor. When I got my first AR-15 about 12 years ago I tried the EoTech 512 and its reticle looked awful to me, so I switched to the excellent Vortex Spitfire. That reticle is crystal clear to me. Wish there will a prism sight available for handguns, but apparently the electronic preclude that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as red vs green, my M&P has a Trijicon RMR06 with a 3.25MOA red dot. Don't have any issues with it despite my astigmatism. I have a Vortex Strikefire on one of my ARs. It does red and green. The green stands out better in bright light but it's too bright, even turn the brightness down, in dim light.
Thanks for that, good information. My older 1x Vortex Spitfire has a green or red reticle, but then it's a prism sight. I really like that sight on my AR rifle, very quick and easy to see. I rarely turn on its power outside, as I can see the reticle without power. Lovely little sight for that application. I don't think I've tried the green vs red "dot" except when it was new, but since it's not really a "dot" sight, but a prism sight, I have not messed with it much. I rarely shoot the AR anymore. Just about totally switched over to handguns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts