Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting these images up without comment, except to state that they are genuine PPQs - no toys, soft-air, blank-firing etc. and no photoshopping.

Balor

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Just terrible.

We've had discussions on this forum about coloring pistols before. I seem to be in the minority that not only doesn't like coloring firearms, but sees it as being a danger.

But do they suppose Walther colored this pistol which does not fire live ammunition blue for a reason?:

Or how about why Walther colored this training pistol which also does not fire live ammunition, red?:

Why do you suppose that Walther colored these pistols?

This is not a laughing matter as far as I'm concerned. These are firearms. They are meant to be dangerous, and they are meant to be taken seriously. I question what is going through the mind of people who see them as anything other than that. I wouldn't paint a pistol anymore than I'd paint a screwdriver. I treat the screwdriver as a screwdriver. It doesn't need to look good in my toolbox. It is nothing more than a screwdriver. If you need a "Hello Kitty" design on your pistol in order to carry it, then I suggest you rethink your priorities as to why you carry a pistol.

There are times when just pulling out a firearm can stop a defensive encounter and get the bad guy to change his mind. Do you know how many times this happens? Do you really want to put any doubt in his or her mind that what you just pulled out is a real gun? Do you know how much it costs to defend yourself in court after a deadly shooting, even if it wasn't your fault?

·
Registered
160 Posts
WHY!?!? Just....Why!?
Both of those things look hideous, especially that green one.

I have to agree with Balance. At least, to some degree. If it was something like a .22 rifle that I was going to go out plinking with, or give to a kid for their first gun, I can see it. (Not like THAT tho!) Case in point, I own a two-tone tungsten Ruger SR22.
But yeah...that's just NOT right. And owning or carrying a pistol should NOT be about it being "Fashionable." Or "Color Coordinated" And above all else, a firearm should Not be made to look like a TOY!
It's bad enough that we Do have Toy guns that can literally pass off as the real McCoy, unless you take a good look at the barrel.

Honestly...horrible idea IMO. Execution is horrible too, on those two examples.

OBTW- Balor, it's air soft, not soft air ;)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It's bad enough that we Do have Toy guns that can literally pass off as the real McCoy, unless you take a good look at the barrel.
It is also bad that Police have told me that the they are trained to treat all "guns" as real, because people choose to paint real guns in toy colors. I have been told that children have gotten shot, at least in part, because of this.

I'm going to paint the muzzle device on my black rifle, orange, because it looks cool.

:cool:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Honestly, they look like training guns for hand to hand. I like ranger green, earth brown, black, etc because those colors blend well for CC. Handgun vanity colors are a clear signal of a newbie range rat with little profesional training. I have seen too much of it on the Glock side of it and it looks like too much focus is placed on the wrong priorities of gun ownership. Firearm manufactures love these special colors as its a great marketing technique for a certain demographic. If different colors of sights help you shoot better then its a valuable upgrade. My own personal opinion is that bright colored firearms look bush league.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just terrible.
These are firearms. They are meant to be dangerous, and they are meant to be taken seriously.
There is always the distinct possibility that a would-be assailant could be reduced to fits of uncontrollable laughter on seeing a pistol like this pointed at him - thus effectively being disarmed without a shot being fired.

Balor

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Those are ugly as a gun or as a toy. In fact, they look like neither to me, any toy gun or airsoft gun I have seen has always been black.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
I was watching TV yesterday. News clip showing the cops using a shotgun to lob bean bags at some @sswipe. THE SHOTGUN WAS GREEN. This is NO chit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Those look absolutely hideous to me. I think that the types that like such colored pistols are newbies and morons who really don't know how to shoot, or have very little firearms safety in their consciousness. I would NEVER own something as gross as those colored pistols.................yuk!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Good Lord...:eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
To be honest, I'm actually kinda surprised that they tried this out with the PPQ. With the trend of subcompacts available in a collection of two-tones, I'd have thought they'd have tried this with the smaller, less expensive PPS.
BTW did you know you can get a call from the ATF if you're collecting some of those cheap guns too fast? They make sure you aren't reselling them illegally!

Anyway, back on subject. As Balance noted, yes LE has to treat every weapon they see as a potential threat, and respond accordingly. Many times with authorized deadly force.

OldFart - that's just hideous. But it sounds to me like a sole purpose weapon. I however, would have chosen a different method to differentiate it as such!

Balor - I can't discount that as a possibility! Some people actually DO have that reaction. "You're gonna shoot me with THAT!?" Not the brightest, but hey, it does happen, LOL.

Between those two comments, I had an idea. For these god-awful things, lets invent a "confetti round". Very low powered round that fires bits of cut up paper and tiny rolls of streamers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
:eek: I honestly can imagine that it wouldn't be that difficult to actually make. Especially in a shotgun load. LOL that might be fun to try to play around with making IF I could talk my brother into letting me try it with his blackpowder rifle.
Ok, so since somebody beat us to that, for these clownish looking pistol how about a working "Bang" Bugs Bunny flag?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was watching TV yesterday. News clip showing the cops using a shotgun to lob bean bags at some @sswipe. THE SHOTGUN WAS GREEN. This is NO chit.
The shotgun is green because it's loaded with bean bags. The color lets the officer positively and quickly identify which shotgun is loaded with lethal buckshot/slugs and which is loaded with less lethal beanbags.

I've always felt it was ridiculous to require toy guns to be brightly colored or be equipped with an orange muzzles. What's to keep somebody from painting up a real firearm the same way?

The real problem isn't the paint job. The real problem is irresponsible and criminal behavior; and reacting out of fear and ignorance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The shotgun is green because it's loaded with bean bags. The color lets the officer positively and quickly identify which shotgun is loaded with lethal buckshot/slugs and which is loaded with less lethal beanbags.

I've always felt it was ridiculous to require toy guns to be brightly colored or be equipped with an orange muzzles. What's to keep somebody from painting up a real firearm the same way?

The real problem isn't the paint job. The real problem is irresponsible and criminal behavior; and reacting out of fear and ignorance.
I THINK that I'm agreeing with what you're saying here, but I don't understand WHO'S fear and ignorance you're talking about. Please clarify.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does it have to be a particular who? Reacting out of ignorance and fear does not do anyone any good.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Personally, I like the green one.

As for it being a "toy", why in the hell would a 41 year old heterosexual, white, married, father of 4, (me), be carrying a toy gun? :D

I wonder what the finish is made of? How well will it hold up?

These are more important than the other 15 or so comments following the original post. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts