Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't already done so, you might want to take a look at the block of P1s and P38s that are posted on the Simpson's Ltd. website. The folks there apparently imported a number of both types in what they describe as 96+% condition. Amazingly, the prices are only $195 for the P1s and $225 for the P38s. Some folks on the P38 Walther forum are crowing about the great condition and the good deal -- certainly worth a look for those who want to add to their collection or pick up an inexpensive shooter.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
one needs to mention how tiny the import marks are on these.... I wonder how they manged that as I think they are not per BATF reg...
My .22lr PP is from them and the import mark is inside the magwell :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did they already sell them all, or there a separate section?

All the ones I found were about $499+

:confused:

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked with the folks at Simpson's Ltd. earlier today (about shipping for the one I ordered). A salesman named Floyd told me that they are going out the door fast, but there are still some excellent guns remaining. If you look on the first page of the Simpson's website at the very bottom, you'll see them listed there; don't go to their Walther site. Or call the phone number listed in the Contact Us section and ask for either Floyd or Bob L. Either one can help you out. Ask them to pick you an extra nice one; both of these guys are helpful. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These guns are worth a look, though they are by no means in the 96+% range that is advertised, IMHO. I just got a P38 as a shooter, dated 12/58; it arrived at my FFL shop on Saturday. The finish is parkerized, which is OK, the slide and frame do not come close to matching, and the magazine is dated 1963. The grips are scratched on both sides -- something else that wouldn't put it in the 96% range. On the other hand, it seems tight and looks -- with a little lube and a spotcheck here and there -- about ready to fire. The price is tough to beat, especially if all you want is a fun time at the range with a classic design, but I'd still rate this one at something less than 96%, to be sure. As the sign says, Caveat emptor -- or at least let the buyer be cautious.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NRA: Please report back on what you hear and/or determine. For what it's worth, I sent an e-mail to Simpson's last week -- asking about their ratings and how they were determined, along with the quality of the P1s that they are offering -- and have yet to hear back. That might be good or bad, or perhaps it means nothing, but it's surely a long time to wait for a response. I'm not unhappy with the P38 that I got from them, by any means. But I sure wouldn't rate it as highly as they did.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tried contacting them today. Left a message as there was a meeting or something. No call back. Will try again tomorrow.

Searcher 451:
You make me think it might be worth paying more and know what I am getting - after reading your post..

Another experiece today wtih another vendor..
Was looking at PD trade ins. Asked for pictures of the internals as the externals were not super, but was told - they were too busy selling guns to take pictures. I was looking to buy a couple of the same items they had (And told them so) , but hey what's 1K to them when Business is good..

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simpson's is maddening sometimes; I've had the same thing happen to me, where you wait a day for a return phone call while they are confabbing or whatever. And I'm still waiting for a reply to my e-mail of last week. On the other hand, I'll say it again: There's nothing wrong with the P38 I received. It's in better-than-decent shape and will make a good range plinker once I change out the springs. I also bought a nice P4 from them awhile back and am extremely happy with that one; it was everything that was advertised.

If you are looking for a better-than-average P1, check out Dan's Sporting Goods:

http://www.dansammo.com/p38.asp

He has a handful of what he describes as "minty" condition P1s for $299 plus shipping. It might be worth a look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's my next call.

I had a nice P38 WWII Nazi Markings - refinished by the Soviet Union (Or whatever they are called) and imported through Navy Arms of NJ Years Ago.

I traded it a year ago (For a whopping $ 300.00) - and now miss it..

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
these USSR P38's are called "dipped"

as to Dan's.... I have seen only very good (and I mean very good) P38's come out of his shot

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on P1s

For what it's worth, I ordered one of the self-described "minty" model's from Dan's Sporting Goods a few days back:

http://www.dansammo.com/p38.asp

By all means check out this site. The gun arrived today and is likely better than "minty," coming with what appears to be a never-issued holster and a German police cleaning kit. The P1 even has the original wrapping around the barrel. It is without question the best one of these models that I've come across -- nothing at all like the beat-up junkers that you often see advertised for even more money (guns in this condition are sold for $299 plus shipping). If you are looking for a clean P1, either to put aside for a collection or to shoot, by all means take a look here. (I'm not set up to do pictures, but the website does show a photo that will give you a good idea of what Dan is offering.)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I know that Simpson's goes to alot of gun shows and events. When they're traveling, there may not be anyone there who can answer your questions. They're a rather small operation.

Remember that P38's are a blast to shoot at the range! It's always funny to have the brass eject to the left and hit other shooters who aren't expecting it!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For what it's worth, the P1s that are being advertised at Dan's Ammo (www.dansammo.com -- see previous post above) are even better than originally thought. I've had some time to closely examine the "minty" offering that I received and am convinced that it's new and unfired except for the test rounds. The thing is pristine, in fact -- absolutely immaculate.

If you've ever wanted one of these bad boys for a Walther collection, you simply can't beat the price or condition. If you've considered getting one as a shooter, you owe it to yourself to take a look (I just ordered up a second P1 to use at the range). I don't know Dan and don't have stock in his operation, but I do recognize a good deal when I see one. This is a good deal, and Dan seems to be a nice guy as viewed through the lens of a couple of telephone conversations and some e-mail exchanges.

As a last aside here, a local attorney and knowledgable firearms owner was in the gun shop on the day that my "minty" P1 arrived. As we opened the box and took a look, he casually strolled over and asked, after a few minutes, if he could take a look. He later placed an order for 10 of the new P1s, electing to give one each to his associates at the law firm. Not a bad place to work, I guess -- what with the boss buying guns for you on a whim (yeah yeah, I know; lawyers) -- but it's a better testament, I think, to the quality of these P1s. Happy hunting. :)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Most post war P38's have a alloy frame....
there is some post war steel frames but they are not cheap and they are all commercial
no C&R for postwar P1 or P38

·
Registered
729 Posts
Deputy: I had a steel frame P-38/P1 post war 9mm. It was an Interarms marked import. I actually qualified and carred it for awhile off duty. But the left side slide release really dug into my hip (it sticks way out). Another qualifier of higher rank than I told me to shoot from the position to his right when we were on the firing line together. He didn't want to get hit in the head with brass. He laughed because he figured the brass from his Sig would be hitting me.

Little did he know that the Walther is one of very few guns that ejects its brass to the LEFT! With a bit of stance adjustment, I was able to hit his noggin' with every expended shell I shot!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts