1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Got it today in German language. Seems to be Mr. Dallhammer's enlarged dissertation.
Not a book for everyone, but for me it's great! Could be a long 'Pfingsten'-weekend to me...

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
So how would you guys describe the book? Is it a history of gun design book? An illustrated coffee table book? An academic book with the good Doctor sharing his thoughts on the topic?

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
So how would you guys describe the book?
Because it is based on Dallhammer's own academic thesis as Martin has already stated, reading and understanding it could be a bit demanding, at least for my modest knowledge. But I read that the book even addresses questions about the marketing of handguns. That makes it really very interesting for ordinary mortals I think. Haven't we all asked ourselves too often why manufacturers do one thing and leave the other? Maybe we have a chance to find out.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Interestingly, the German version of the book is available via Amazon but the English version is not.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
So how would you guys describe the book?
I don't have my copy in front of me right now but I did read it in its entirety when it came out. As I recall, the first two-thirds of the book discusses the various manufacturing processes with an emphasis on MIM. He uses the Walther PPS for a lot of his examples and illustrations. I believe there were also some pictures from inside the factory in Ulm.

The last third of the book is case studies of different modern pistols and the solutions their makers used to give them their desired features and performance.

There's no mention of revolvers or rifles. He doesn't discuss what alloys or polymer formulas are used or when one would be more beneficial than another. He doesn't discuss the how's or why's of springs. It's not really a textbook.

I suppose that I do have a higher degree of mechanical aptitude than most people but I'm not an engineer and I was disappointed that this book wasn't more technical in nature.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I don't have my copy in front of me right now but I did read it in its entirety when it came out. As I recall, the first two-thirds of the book discusses the various manufacturing processes with an emphasis on MIM. He uses the Walther PPS for a lot of his examples and illustrations. I believe there were also some pictures from inside the factory in Ulm.

The last third of the book is case studies of different modern pistols and the solutions their makers used to give them their desired features and performance.

There's no mention of revolvers or rifles. He doesn't discuss what alloys or polymer formulas are used or when one would be more beneficial than another. He doesn't discuss the how's or why's of springs. It's not really a textbook.

I suppose that I do have a higher degree of mechanical aptitude than most people but I'm not an engineer and I was disappointed that this book wasn't more technical in nature.
Thanks for the review redcat!

As I've become a Walther fan I'll pick up a copy when I can obtain the English version.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I went ahead and purchased a copy. Looking forward to the read.

As a Walther fan and, it will be very interesting to read the good Doctor's insights.

If nothing else, it will look good on my coffee table.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts