Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the trigger pull was fine. But I am low and to the right ( I am a lefty). What am I doing wrong?
Also the magazines are a pain to load, for a lefty.
The gun was was easy to clean. I am quite happy with it overall. I was using Winchester White box. No complaints.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you have a 22, try shooting that first. you may be aniticipating the shot. i've had the same problem, shooting low, but to the left. i'm normal (right handed ;) )

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
No serial #  needed........

on the frame or barrel should be a 2 letter date code.....
all that is needed to date your gun.....

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   K
0   1   2   3   4   5    6   7   8   9
so "AG" would make it '06
also see http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I tried Winchester Clean, CCI Target ( I forget the exact name). and they both worked a lot better than the white box. Shot more accurately and much much cleaner. I think they are worth the extra $2.50 a box.
But I;m still low and to the right ( shooting lefty). Getting better though!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sounds like you're anticipating the shot. Buy some snap caps and have a friend load one or two in your magazine, without you looking, then have him/her watch you. When you get to the snap cap, it will become very apparent wether you are anticipating the shot or not. Even to you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are right ,because the first shot I fired was a bullseye, and right after that I started going off target.
How do I not anticipate the shot?

·
Registered
75 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scphil @ Dec. 19 2006,5:42)]I think you are right ,because the first shot I fired was a bullseye, and right after that I started going off target.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sounds like you're anticipating the shot. Buy some snap caps and have a friend load one or two in your magazine, without you looking, then have him/her watch you. When you get to the snap cap, it will become very apparent wether you are anticipating the shot or not. Even to you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
"How do I not anticipate the shot?"

That's a great question!  The short answer, and, possibly, the best one, is "don't anticipate the shot-let every shot be a little bit of a surprise".  

Dry firing helps, and the other suggestions above make sense to me.  I just want to point out that a good grip helps a lot.  If you shoot two-handed, your offhand (your right) should grip the weapon, not just support it.

There's an excellent article on grip at: http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scphil @ Dec. 19 2006,3:42)]I think you are right ,because the first shot I fired was a bullseye, and right after that I started going off target.
Like I said, go get some snap caps and have someone put them in the magazine with out you looking. When you pull the trigger on the snap cap, it will become very apparent whether or not you are anticipating the shot. In fact it will down right imbarrass you!
This will help train you to pull that trigger nice and easy and not push forward when you are anticipating the shot.

Also, dry firing will help. Pull the trigger nice and slow to start out, so you get to "know" your trigger and train your muscles to pull the trigger correctly. This will help build your muscle memory. As you get better you can start drawing from your holster and dry firing faster.

Also, you could find a reputable trainer and take a class. This will help immensly also.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Dec. 21 2006,8:52)]Also, you could find a reputable trainer and take a class.  This will help immensly also.
I wish there was a list of good trainers.....
Other than the national "shooting stars" that cost you an arm and a leg for a day's class

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a misfire with Magtech. The range just said throw it on the ground. I think I am happy with CCI Brass, it's cheaper than white box and cleaner.
I am getting used to the gun and getting better at 15 yards. Been practicing my dry firing!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, as someone else noted on another website, when you have a round in the chamber and a full magazine, the fit is tight, you have to make sure the magazine is in right or else it just falls out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I was anticipating the shot. Went to the outdoor range and magically got better. A lot better. I was jerking the trigger because IT'S LOUD IN INDOOR RANGES!! :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts