Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pre-owned, 100% 2004 P99QA in .40 S&W at a local shop for $450 with all the accessories and papers, and could not pass it up.

This is probably the 25th handgun I've owned over the years, but it my first Walther. As far as polymer pistols go, I owned a Glock 22 and an HK USP Tactical for a while. Both were utterly reliable and very well made, though I could not shoot them nearly as well as any of the comparable metal-framed pistols I own (1911's, SigSauers, CZ's, S&W's, etc.). My suspicion is that because neither fit my particular medium-sized hand well, consistent grip must have been a problem. I don't think the triggers have much to do with it, because I can shoot DA revolvers pretty well, and the Glock is very different than the HK, and the HK is similar to the Sigs and S&W.

Hopefully this one will work out. It feels great with the mid-sized backstrap, but I plan to check out how it feels with the other sizes after a few trips to the range.

If I can shoot it well, I'd like to add a light, like the Springfield XML or the Surefire/Insight M-5 and/or night sights just for the fun of it. It would make a good nightstand or campsite pistol in this way.

Hmmm, two more hours of work, then off to the range for a 250 round shakedown!

Kevin

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's sad to hear that you just got your first Walther. I've had my first one for 41 years. I also have 16 others that I've acquired since. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have just purchased a P99 (as) new for $585. It will probably be a week to 2 before my NY permit gets amended so i can pick it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Going down tomorrow (I hope) to pick up my brand new Walther P99 QA 40 SW. Got 1,000 rounds of ammo online for a hundred and change so I'm hoping to spend my Saturday at the range with my new Walther!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got out to the range this morning to try it out. It shot great, had less felt recoil than my old Glock 22, and fit my hand much better. However, the strangest thing happened--the magazine floor plates on both magazines broke!

The first one happened in the first 10 rounds or so. In between shots, I noticed that the floorplate was dangling. Luckily, enough of it remained on the magazine so as to keep everything together.

I was not so lucky the second time. After round 129 ejected and round 130 was being fed, the magazine floorplate went AWOL, sending the magazine spring and the follower flying across the range. That was the end of the day for the P99.

The good news is that I called Walther USA right after to notify them, and without even asking, they offered to send me replacement parts.

My overall impression is that the P99QA is a fine pistol, with great handling qualities, decent sights, and above average accuracy. The magazine thing concerns me, though. I bought this as a personal protection pistol, but now I don't have much confidence in the Mec-Gar magazines Walther uses. I guess I'll see what happens with the new baseplates. If they show no signs of cracking after 500 rounds each, I'll probably feel OK.

What do you guys think about all this? Should I use this as a hole puncher and leave protection up to something with all metal magazines? Am I over-reacting? Let me know.

Kevin

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have heard , even the replacements are breaking. A guy at my local shop has been through 13 of them. Walther is buying the gun back.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My originals and the first set of replacements broke too. They send floorplates for the SW99 the third time and these seem to be holding...

I'm using Promags for carry though

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree the floor plates that ship on these mags are junk. My first trip to the range I managed 12 rounds before the mag dumped it's guts in the snow. I had previously registered the warranty online, so I emailed them. After about a month and a half or two months I emailed them again by forwarding the original complaint/request for a new mag base. This time I finally got a new mag base in the mail. But, I'm not convinced it will be any better than the one's that came with the pistol after reading some of these postings. This is a serious problem and Walther needs to address it. I've owned Walthers in the past, and still have a wartime P.38 (60 year old mag still functions fine), but if I were new to Walthers this would leave a very flawed first impression. Your first trip to the range with your shiny new $600 P99 shouldn't end with your scrounging around on the ground picking up it's little shattered plastic and metal parts after it just fell apart in your hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. It's embarassing, too. We'll see what happens with the new baseplates.

FWIW, the customer service guy said they might have had a bad bunch of plastic, and did not appear surprised by my problem. He shipped out the parts I needed, no questions asked. Unfortunately, the first baseplates they sent were for the SW99, and were slightly different that the Walther's; they would not fit.

Does anyone know if the magazines for the SW99 are any different? I may buy a couple of those for "business." Please let me know. Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have the "old" style P99, and the S&W floorplates work fine (for now anyway). I'd imagine that the mags should be the same unless they changed them during the P99 revision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts