Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after lusting for this over a year - I finally got a PS90 today - In black too (I didn't want one in green). I finally sold my telescope about a month ago, but I didn't get a chance to shoot one until last weekend. Then, I knew I had to have it (I wanted to try it before spending that much $)

Unfortunately, my mounting rails still haven't come in the mail yet. So, I can't mount my Eotech and other stuff yet. I guess I'll wait until next weekend to shoot it. If I go tomorrow, I'll just have to go again next week to sight in the eotech. So, I'll wait.

Its really kewl. Cleaned it already, and got an extra mag for it as well

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the P99 note, I did see a new P99 A/S fullsize for $535 at the show - sold by Bachman Gun and Pawn. Not a mark on the slide - 2006 frame.

·
Patron
211 Posts
Impressivce............I'm a tad jealous!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. The PS90 is a fun plinker rifle. I got to shoot one that belongs to a friend. He's going to SBR it. -I wish it came with the short barrel without the NFA hoops...

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally got to try my new gun this morning. It misted a little while - I was afraid I would be foiled by the rain - but it worked out.

I had previously bore sighted my Eotech before I got to the range, so when I started to shoot, I was on the paper at least. But, I had to make some minor adjustments. It took me 50 shots before I was satisfied with my Eotech sighting. I take asthma medicine and allergy medicine, and it sometimes causes my hands to shake a bit. I had that issue today, so I think some of my adjustments kinda went back and forth, and it may have been me and not the sight.

Anyway, the pic below shows a 50 yard target. U'll see 2 shots on each side of the bullseye. I made 1 final ajustment AFTER this target, and finally got the center. But, this shows that the gun groups pretty well.

---------------

Shot a lot of shots at 25 yards. It shoots about 2 inches low at 25 yards.

Here is another pic of 25 yards (I aimed a little higher on this target - sits not quite two inches lower):

Finally, I sighted in my laser at about 10 yards. That is nice to have it hit right where I wanted it to.

The gun worked flawlessly, with no issues. I prev shot a PS90, so I knew what to expect. Much lower recoil and noice than other rifles.

Luckily, I had the range to myself for the 1st hour. I kept walking up and down the 50 yard range after every 2-3 shots to make fine adjustments. The next time I go shoot will be more fun, as I won't have to be messing with sight adjustments...

I shot 100 rounds today...

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I also got my strap in this evening. Too bad I didn't have it this morning...

Now, I'm all set
- I might buy the larger cocking handle knobs - but otherwise, I am set

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That's pretty cool!

Does that caliber really do that much damage? I think I read somewhere that the FBI was using these guns, but I never really understood this caliber, especially with all the debate about the .223 being a not very effective round.

I'm just asking to educate myself. I don't want to start a flame war.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ya know. I don't know how effective the bullet is. The people who run CMMG have taken PS90s hunting and killed various animals - supposedly even a deer or two. I also heard that 1 of the dear was killed w/ a shot from a 5.7 pistol.

Its the same width of the .556 basically, but the round is a little shorter than the AR round.

I like having a 50 round mag. And, I think I read that the bullets travel somewhere around 2300 FPS or maybe faster (when shot from the PS90). I think its gotta be as effective as a 9mm at the least.

People ask about the bullet on other sites, and it always ends up in a war on the threads. I try to stay outta that. Whats the point when its the same guys who pop up on every one of these threads and rip it down, yet they don't even own one.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with it. That's how I feel :)

I took a pic w/ it this weekend with the rest of my gun family :p

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean about the wars that go on about the different calibers. I'm just curious. I watched a Stargate episode where they were showing how much better the P90 was compared to the laser weapons.

I too like 50 round magazines. That's definately some firepower.

Nice picture!

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice...and yes the black does look better. Wish you well with that baby.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to going shoot it at the range again this weekend. But unfortunately, they are talking about rain, and maybe snow soon. Uggg...

I took it last time to an indoor range to sight in my laser at a close distance. But its more fun to shoot at 50 yards + outdoors... When I sighted in the eotech outdoors, it was fun :p

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's pretty cool!

Does that caliber really do that much damage? I think I read somewhere that the FBI was using these guns, but I never really understood this caliber, especially with all the debate about the .223 being a not very effective round.

Ask any victim of the DC sniper attacks if the .223 round is ineffective. Those two POS's used a Bushmaster M4gery, and even with the shorter barrel profile did incredible damage.

I think the 'myth' of the .223 rounds ineffectiveness is that in Afghanistan, the Marines were issued the wrong ammo type for the shorter barrel, which is what caused the problem.

I'm sure there's much more information on other forums, but that's what comes to mind.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does that caliber really do that much damage? I think I read somewhere that the FBI was using these guns, but I never really understood this caliber
I do not believe the FBI uses them. But I know that the secret service ueses the full auto version. I've seen news photos of them. 2x also, I've seen pics of secret service officers arresting people who jump the white house fence. One of these arresting officers is carrying a P90.

W/ the short barrel, its almost a replacement for a pistol, because the rifle is so short.

I could short barrel it, but by the time I buy the barrel, a new flash hider, pay the ATF fee, and have someone install it for me, I'm looking at $500-$600. I'd also loose 200 fps on the ammo. I have the ATF paperwork, and thought about doing it while I was waiting to by it.

Now that I have the gun - its already so short. I don't think its worth the money. Plus, where U take the gun is limited to some degree, as is the fact that U are restrained in ever selling it unless someone else wants to pay that $200 fee. I'm just gonna leave it stock.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I sure hope it shoots much better than it looks!

I think that's one of the ugliest firearms I've ever seen! :eek:

I see several people like the way it looks. Good for them! :cool:

To each his own!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts

&

Yeah, I know what you mean about the wars that go on about the different calibers. I'm just curious. I watched a Stargate episode where they were showing how much better the P90 was compared to the laser weapons.
First let me say, if you see or hear something in a work of fiction that is purporting to be fact, be skeptical. "Stargate" has the enemy running around with energy staff weapons that the series' protagonists chide for being a weapon of intimidation and not one of effectiveness. If the writers want to give the super-advanced aliens bad high-tech weapons so cunning "Earthlings" can kick alien butt, I'm not going to take it too seriously.

Let me try to explain the 5.7x28 caliber's purpose (without trying to start a flame war)...

Due to the proliferation of body armor, NATO was looking for a gun and round to replace submachine guns. As you know, SMG's fire handgun rounds which generally are not super effective against body armor. NATO wanted something for those who did not need (or could not carry) an assault rifle but still needed a firearm that would be able to punch through a vest. This class of people is wide. It encompasses rear echelon / support troops, vehicle and weapon crews, and others.

FN developed the P90 and the 5.7x28 round. The 5.7x28 is not a replacement for the 5.56 / .223 rounds. It is supposed to be a replacement for the 9mm round since it does better against body armor. -Think of it (the P90) as a gun designed for CQB. The P90 has a short overall length and small profile that makes it easy to handle. It has select fire and shoots ammo designed to punch body armor.

The PS90 is the civilian model. It has a much longer barrel, no select-fire capability, and shoots different ammo (albeit in the same caliber). The ammo that is available to the Military and LE is different than what is generally available to civilians. That is not to say there isn't some Military / LE ammo out there in private hands, but it is not made generally available to the public.

I think the sampling size of people who have been shot by these rounds is relatively small when compared to ubiquitous calibers like 9mm, .45 ACP, .223, 7.62x39, .308, etc. However, make no mistake; there are people who have been shot by this caliber who have been killed by it. As with anything else, proper placement is the surest way to get the desired result.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sure hope it shoots much better than it looks!

I think that's one of the ugliest firearms I've ever seen! :eek:

I see several people like the way it looks. Good for them! :cool:

To each his own!
Yes, to each his own. I think it looks kewl :p

Also, it is super ergonomic compared to traditional rifle designs.

Anyway, we all buy what we like :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice rifle (PDW?) Shipwreck. I love the design of the new FNs. The P90 replaces the MP-5 in my "mental armory."

My favorite is the F2000. Similar ergonomics as P90, but is a 5.56 ambi bullpup. Much smaller than M-16 means less fumbling around in a vehicle packed with guys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts