Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm obviously no photographer because the pics and lighting are terrible.  I'll try again later.  
I love the outcome.  The serrations are exactly as I requested and the chrome is very nice.  I haven't been able to put it down for some time.  I didn't expect to be able to see the serial number and markings on the slide through the chrome.  The decocker doesn't appear to be coated and the cut slide stop seems to have only been dipped in cobra coat.  I was very excited when I first received it, but upon closer inspection, my OCD started to kick in.  There are various nicks and dings in the finish that were not there before.  I was more concerned with the outcome of the serrations though.  The extractor would have looked better in black, but it serves a purpose.  I'm anxious to see how the finish wears over time.  The pistol shoots and functions perfectly and the slide locks open when empty.  As planned, I have to pull the slide and release after reloading.  I  can't help but think I need a 9mm with the same treatment.  Are all P99s going to have the new mag release eventually?  If so, I might have to grab one before they do.

http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gun041medium7yr.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gun043medium1ho.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
OMG that looks cool... I love it....sweet

Did you have the slide release handle milled off

So you are forced to pull the slide back to release it after changing mags? Or was it due to pushing the slide release handle up while shooting?

Coll ideas.... wow.... I think some of mine are due to hardchrome soon

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dremeled off the slide stop/release lever to the length I wanted and had Tripp put a flush and smooth cut to it before applying cobra coat.
Yes, the slide locks back when empty and after inserting a new mag you have to pull the slide back to release the stop.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Interesting concept! Looks nice and clean I'll admit that... The slide stop does not bother me, in fact I like dropping the slide with my thumb after I load it, but if I didn't, I'd consider doing what you did. It looks good!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hal, with the removal of the ramp under the lever of the older models, I felt it was begging to get cut.  I'm 6-6, 230lbs and have big hands.  My thumb tends to ride high while shooting, but that was not the main reason for it.  Other than looks, I like the removal of any snagging hazards, even though it had never been a problem yet.  Removing the lever releases tension on the slide stop.  So, there is side to side play now, but there is still plenty left to consistently stop the slide.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Is the decocker button cobra coated? I can't tell in the pic. That's what I did to mine.

Be aware that some of the surface texture was there before - U just notice it more w/ the chrome. Any flaws in the surface will still be visible unless it is just a simple scratch on the original surface.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shipwreck, It doesn't look like the decocker has been coated and if it has, I can't tell. That's not what I was after. I wouldn't be able to tell that the slide stop had been coated except for the coverage on the cut metal. I'll try to post closer, more detailed photos later. I believe the flaws in the finish are after the fact. My pistol was mint when sent in. I'm not terribly concerned with it as it is my carry pistol now. Can you see the markings and serial # through your chrome? It doesn't bother me, I just didn't expect it.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The serial number and proof mark is laser etched, so they disappeared after the hard chroming on my 2 guns. But, the Walther name and import info still shows up.

I had my extractors and decocker buttons covered, and I can tell the difference. Sorry U had some issues. Although, Tripp screwed up a $1200 Springfield TRP 1911 I sent to him. I shipped it back a 2nd time, and it came back in worse condition and missing 1 part. I finally just got rid of the gun.

So, I understand your feelings about it. He did a great job on my other two slides, however, and I suppose I will take a chance and send off my Walther slide. But, I will definetly send it back if there are any problems.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I hesitated to comment on your modifications [ because I don't like pissing people off ]..........but I too have OCD..........when it comes to safety issues.

As long as you are aware the removal of the slide release [ and more importantly the SLIDE LOCK-BACK ] is a safety issue.

Let me give you one real world example and then I will shut up and keep my OCD to myself -smile-

Your are at the firing line shooting........the command is made to stop, clear, and make weapons safe. That means remove the magazine -First, clear the round in the chamber-second and third lock open your action for the range officer to see.

For you to complete this task -- correct me if I am wrong -- it would require you to insert an empty magazine into the weapon to get the slide to lock back. If I was a range officer and saw you "inserting" another magazine after the command to stop firing was given there would be serious words !

Frankly, you would not be allowed to shoot that gun around the ranges that I attend ........... they are pretty carefull about these types of home remedies during the required "Safety inspection" of every weapon before it is allowed on the Range.

I never hand a weapon to a person where the cylinder is not opened or the slide LOCKED BACK.......but with your modification I would always need an empty Mag handy.

Please don't feel I am taking a shot at you.....it's your gun and I am certain you know what you are doing. Be safe.

JF.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sniper, I have no problem with your comments. I'm actually surprised that there wasn't more negative feedback. I knew some would love it and some would hate it. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome. I was well aware of all safety issues associated with a modifictation like this. I've never been to a range where you must pay or is monitored by someone. We're fairly primitive up here in Alaska. At my local range everyone yells all clear. Everyone must acknowledge and put their weapons down. It's a judgment call for everyone. Over time I'm sure we'll end up with a range officer. Hopefully not because of an incident. However, I hardly use the range unless sighting in a rifle. I agree, if I saw someone do as you described, I wouldn't like it either. You do have to insert an empty magazine or manipulate it with both hands to lock it open. In someone elses hands it would definately be a safety issue. I had planned for this mod for some time. So, it was a natural transition for me. It is a perfect carry gun for ME. I had a good debate with friends about it. I welcome all complaints and criticism.

Shipwreck, my laser etched proof mark and serial # are visible through the chrome. I will include detailed pics later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts