Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im new to Walther pistols. I bought a PP in .22lr to day at work (I work in a hunting / shooting supply store), even got the original manual for it.

Since Walthers are new to me I would like to know some more about my gun.
It has serial number 193056 P. Eagles over N on frame above the extractor, Eagle over N on the chamber hood. Left side of slide says Walther in banner. Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Th?r). Walthers Patent Cal 22 Mod PP

I would say 98-99% in bluing.

I plan to shoot with it, is it worth any thing? Should I pamper it and treat it as a safe queen? :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's a lovely gun made early in WWII, and more valuable than those made postwar. If it were mine, I would shoot and enjoy it.

M

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Very nice, great find. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it, just take some precautions such as not letting the hammer snap down when you engage the safety or dry firing a rim fire. The safety is more of a problem with the 90 degree safeties and yours is a 60 degree one, so that is not as critical, but still a good idea because broken part replacements are hard to find and expensive. Per Dieter Marschall's book that PP was produced sometime between 1942 and 1944, probably 1943 because it is in the middle of the serial number range. It also has the short tang which is typical for .22's, they used old stored frames for those and used the newer longer tanged frames for the .32 PP's at that time in the war.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have read the responses you received on the p38 forum. They are different from ours here. They are more into collecting than shooting, but they give very sound advise and I trust what they say. Whatever you do, enjoy your new acquisition.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have read the responses you received on the p38 forum. They are different from ours here. They are more into collecting than shooting, but they give very sound advise and I trust what they say.
Whether it is sound advice or not depends entirely on one's perspective. One can be happy with a Safe Queen only if one views his guns as possessions or investments, worries about their retained value, and gets more pleasure from fondling, caressing and displaying them rather than using them functionally.

A beautiful painting or a sculpture is a feast for the eyes; a violin may be more than that, and delight the ears as well. But a mistress had better be more than just pretty.

M

·
Registered
729 Posts
JohanH: That's a wonderul PP .22 in very good condition. It's quite rare. I can't remember even seeing one anywhere but on Simpson's website and he doens't get them very often.

Manuhrin versions with the box magazine are much more common, but not ones like yours!

I would shoot it occasionally, but I would be very careful not to harm its finish!

Beautiful Walther!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I agree with the others.... you have a nice PP and it has much value... however the values in US $ is that only....
I don't think collectors in Europe are willing to pay these prices and as said these were ment to be shot.
Enjoy the gun and take her out.... she will love to eat a good meal and you will get lots of pleasure with her.... just take good care of her :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
The .22 Walthers are a lot of fun and I doubt you will ever wear it out. I've got a .22 PPK/S that I bought new around 1982. Mine was made in France and it's a little jewel. I've fired it many thousands of rounds and it still looks like new. I don't think you should make a safe queen out of a gun that was made to shoot. The .22's are chambered a little looser than target guns and are extremely reliable. Mine always feeds and fires although it is not as accurate as my Ruger MKII Target and I wouldn't expect it to be.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Congratulations! What a find...definitely a rare and collectable piece. I've owned dozens of WWII Walthers and shot all of them. I'd recommend keeping the box and manual in a safe place because they're actually more rare than the pistol. If you get a chance how about posting a target pix...I'd love to see how she groups. Thanks for sharing your new prize with us. :)

Milspec

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

Thanks for all your answers. I havent decided if I should use it or not. I might leave it in the safe and buy another Walther PP for shooting.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Whatever you decide, throw away the cold blue.

M
+1 to Mike. Cold blue is a disaster-in-a-bottle. You'd be better off shooting it than cold-blueing it -- and I, for one, wouldn't shoot it; yours just seems to be too nice -- too close to like-new -- to take it to the range. (Lots of folks disagree; that's what makes a horse race.) If you feel a hankering to shoot a .22 cailber Walther, get yourself a 2007-model P22 and plink away to your heart's content ... or until the gun's first breakdown. But whatever you do, keep any type of cold-blue product away from your PP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No more cold blue, I promise ;-)

I will keep this one in the safe for now. I will register as a gun collector and
start a small collection. Ill buy a Manhurin PP .22lr that we have at work.
We also have a Walther like mina from Zella Melis but almost all the bluing is gone on that one. Hmm, where did I put that cold bluing... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts