Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my HiViz fiber optic sight and went to install it. What a surprise. You have to have a Glock Front Sight Tool/wrench to tighten the screw. So now I have to buy one of those. I am not happy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (32ndgeorgia @ Jan. 14 2006,12:19)]Got my HiViz fiber optic sight and went to install it.  What a surprise.  You have to have a Glock Front Sight Tool/wrench to tighten the screw.   So now I have to buy one of those.  I am not happy.
I had the same thing happen when I bought a Trijicon front sight. I have a friend who owns a Glock 23 so I borrow what appeared to be the 'Glock tool'. Come to find out, that's not it. I ended up taking the gun to a gunsmith. Paid $5.00 which is a whole lot less than buying the tool.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was able to use a small ratchett from my set...it was tight but it worked.

Make sure you use the Loctite (I used blue). I didn't the first time around and the sight came off about about 20 rounds. Since the Loctite, it's been 1000+ with no problems.

Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's a small hex-headed bolt that barely fits into the space recessed into the slide. Definitely a bad design...I don't know why they didn't use the same type of allen screw set up the factory Walther sights use.

Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
The tenon for the sight doesn't use the same split system as the original...so it takes the hex bolt to hold it in place. Believe me, I tried! You're stuck with the system that HiViz provides.

I will also say that there's a bit of a problem with the size of the front dot compared to the rear sight. I use the smallest light pipe they offer and it's still mis-sized for the rear sight notch. I'm taking my wife's new P99C to the range tomorrow and if I shoot it well, I may change the front sight on my P99 back to the factory original. As easy as the HiViz is to acquire, I've noticed that my groups and placement aren't as good as they used to be. I think it's a sight issue. Here's a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about:

It definitely takes more "work" to align the HiViz dot consistently. I'll let you know what I decide after my range session tomorrow.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts