Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Update on my little self-induced fiasco with Sidearmor; I was able to contact them in time and they were able to cancel my order before they had shipped it.

I went right over to Comp-Tac and ordered a left side CTAC. I just got it today. This is my first time carrying, so I'm still experimenting with different cant angles and carry positions on my body. So far, the holster appears to be of excellent quality.

I find that forward cant is more comfortable for carrying but I find it much harder to draw the pistol.

Does anybody have any advice on cant angles and body positioning to make the pistol comfortable to wear and sit down in without it digging into my body, while retaining a quick-draw?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cant angle -- it's more a personal preference issue, you're doing the right thing of trying different angles and positions. I carry mine in Fist IWB kydex at an extreme forward cant angle, the base plate of the magazine and the tip of the barrel are on the same vertical line. YMMV Carrying IWB is always a trade off. Keep experimenting, good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi!

When I tried my C-TAC on, as it was shipped, with the forward cand, it was sitting low and causing real discomfort, poking into my side. I was about to send it back and called them to ask for advise. After talking to a very friendly person, I begun experimenting. What I found out - the higher the pistol was the better I feel. For me, I used the lower holes on the belt clips and was able to lift the pistol at least 1.5 inches above by WB. It did miracles for the overall comfort. I can sit, stand and do things. It would be a lie to say I forget about the gun. I always feel it on my side. But the clever design of the holster let you experiment and try. And you still have those 3o days to change your mind. I still wonder if a leather holster felt better. I think the only way to know is to get it and compare

Val

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DoctorV,
Lol, I guess people are right...different strokes for different folks. I found it to be most comfortable when I used the highest mount points on both of the double holed clips so that it positioned the weapon lower on my hip. I have it set to a slight forward cant and I carry it so that the barrel is just ahead of my hipbone, at around 9:30 (I'm a lefty
).

After playing around with it and getting it the way that I liked, I'd say its fairly comfortable. I walked around my apartment with it on last night. When I took it off before bed, I was suprised to find that I felt very strange. I felt lighter and thinner and generally not right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am still experimenting with the clip configuration on mine, but I find my C-TAC to be the most comfortable at about 3:30.  You might try 8:30 in your LH case.

Also, get a good gun belt.  That helps a lot.  I use an 1-1/4" reinforced Aker dress belt I bought from Galls.  It was about $47 shipped with both nickel and gold hardware.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now, my only belt is made of that woven leather stuff, so it not only flexes along the flat axis but also along the vertical one. It tends to sag with the weight of the pistol. I am thinking about getting a thicker single piece leather belt for carry purposes. I am curious about these gunbelts, but I am wondering what is different about a gunbelt versus a regular dress belt?

I will try out the 8:30 position later and let you know what I think
Thanks very much for your reply!

·
Registered
36 Posts
A gun belt is more stiff, usually thicker, and often has an internal polymer insert, all of which help to support the weight of a weapon.  For concealed carry, don't mess around with anything but a true gun belt.  They help distribute the weight of the gun around your entire waistband instead of concentrating it all in one spot.  I researched them quite a bit and the Aker was the best bang for the buck for a dress gun belt.  I wear it with jeans or with my coat and tie (which I wear 5 days a week  
 ).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I carry a P7 in a CTAC most of the time. After several different angles, I reverted back to the original settings.

I generally wear jeans and a loose work shirt. This combination along with the "C" clips and you have a hard time finding the gun.

I bought a CTAC for the P99 but I seldom carry the P99. It doesn't seem to conceal quite as well.

I really like the CTAC but I find the Milt Sparks VMII more comfortable -- it just doesn't tuck like the CTAC.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
txjeep,
  Thanks very much for the suggestion to try wearing the rig at the 8:30 position.  I have found it to be the most comfortable all around.  It is the most comfortable position I have tried yet for walking around, sitting, kneeling, bending over, etc.  The only place it is slightly uncomfortable is while driving.  The rear of the weapon hits the seat and brings it in towards my body.  Other than that, I think this carry position is great.  It does not really compromise my ability to access the weapon and its pretty comfortable.

I will definitely look at gunbelts.  I see how a stiffer belt would be better for me.  My woven leather belt just sags.  I'm going to a gunshow in Roanoke this weekend.  Perhaps they will have some.

Going to Walmart tomorrow to get some non-permanent Loc-Tite to secure the retention screws where I have them set.  I am also thinking of mounting a chamois or other soft and thin material on the exterior side of the holster that contacts my body for comfort purposes.  Are there any reasons I shouldn't do this?

Thanks very much for the great help everybody has given!
-Yoshi

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yoshi .... Not sure whether do you need a dress belt type of gunbelt, if you are, PWL (England) is a fine quality choice. It's double layers, lined, come with different widths.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
airfix,
  I did a search and found the sight for PWL leather products.  The belts do look nice, but I unfortunately cannot afford a $70 - $80 belt right now.  I'll keep looking around, especially this weekend at the gunshow and see what I can find.

It is interesting to me that gunbelts have a polymer insert.  I bet this would make it nice and stiff and unable to sag, which is exactly what I need.  
  I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks!

edit; I just checked out Gall's and I found a basic Akers leather gunbelt with polymer insert 1 1/2" wide for $30.99. Shipping would bring it to about $40. I'm definitely considering one from them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ni3Frontier @ Mar. 17 2004,11:41)]txjeep,
  Thanks very much for the suggestion to try wearing the rig at the 8:30 position.  I have found it to be the most comfortable all around.
Glad to help. By the way, Galls will charge you sales tax even if you are not in their state. That will add a few extra dollars to their price.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
txjeep,
It is unfortunate that Gall's charges sales tax for internet orders. I am a firm believer in free internet commerce and exchange, so I will be looking elsewhere for this belt. I was actually shocked when I saw this. This is the first time I have seen an internet retailer charging sales tax for out of state buyers.
I do hope to get one soon though. Just have to find a place to buy from!

·
Registered
36 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ni3Frontier @ Mar. 18 2004,6:12)]txjeep,
  It is unfortunate that Gall's charges sales tax for internet orders.  I am a firm believer in free internet commerce and exchange, so I will be looking elsewhere for this belt.
I generally don't recommend Gall's for that reason alone, but there are not too many places that sell these belts. I think you can get them from Aker directly (www.akerleather.com) for $41.50. I am not sure on their shipping and tax policies. I too have heard good things about the Wilderness mentioned above.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ordered 2 1 1/2 Aker dress gun belts (black and tan) from Galls the other day. They should arrive on Monday. I didn't even notice the tax thing. $31 for a good gun belt should be a great deal. I was attracted in particular by their return policy. If I don't like 'em, I return 'em. You cannot just 'try' with any of 'big league' leather makers. They charge $70-100 (and you wait 2-3 months to get it) and if you were wrong with measurments or just plain dislike the belt - tough luck. You are stuck with it. I am sure that a $100 belt from Milt Sparks or Mitch Rosen is a work of art, but I am still trying something more reasonable (and returnable
) at this time.

BTW, I bought a Milt Sparks Versa Max II on e-bay as well. It was an eventfull day, the Thursday

Val

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have two Akers belts, one black and one brown. After a few years of wear, they do not sag as other belts do. Got them from Galls and saved on the shipping by getting them on the same order. Don't rercall any taxes? Highly recommend them. Hope this helps.
Bill

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to a gunshow in Roanoke today. I didn'y really find much. I only picked up a pair of .308 bore brushes for the M1A and a stripper clip to keep the bolt from charging while cleaning.

They did have one set of gunbelts but they were selling for $80, so I didn't really look at them. I will look online this week and see if i can find a good place to buy an Akers belt from.

However, the more I think about it, I think the sagging might have something to do with my attachment method. I opted for J-hooks on my CTAC because I wanted something that can be easily removed. After looking at it, I noticed that the belt really doesn't take any load unless you draw the weapon. Then you tug up on the holster and the J-hook pulls on the bottom of the belt. The part that supports most of the weight is the top of my pants.

I am wondering if it would be wise to get C-clips or belt loops. Comp-tac's belt loops look like they do not require you to thread the belt through each loop before wearing it. It looks like the clip spreads open so you can insert the belt into the loop. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks!
-Yoshi

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yoshi,

You are right about the J-hooks, ditch those things. If you call Gregg at Comp-Tac and tell him you don't like them, he may offer you some kind of a return. I have standard clips and C-clips. I prefer the standard clips. They are very easy to put on and take off. Also, make sure to get the 1-1/4" clips if you plan use a 1-1/4" belt. Get the 1-1/2" clips if you plan to use a 1.5" belt.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'll second the use of the wilderness belt. Very nice belt, especially for use on the range. I use mine in IDPA matches. It is stiffer than my leather belts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts