Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I will pick up my new PPK /S. I'll be taking it to my local range to get used to the gun, and learn to shoot it. This will be on paper targets, outdoors, at either 15 or 25 yards.

I haven't yet ordered any ammunition for it - would like to know which ammo works well in the gun.

I'm NOT asking about defensive shooting, only target shooting. I know it's not a Bullseye gun, but when I'm at my range, that's what people do.

I've read in the forums that the PPK /S prefers quality ammunition, and can jam on inexpensive ammo. I assume I'll be buying good ammo, not the cheapest stuff I can find.

It seems reasonable to me that I start with FMJ ammo, as there's no need for expansion. The cost of the ammo is secondary to its suitability for this purpose.

Given those criteria, can some of you make suggestions on appropriate ammo for the purpose I described above? If you know a good source, please post that as well.

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've had good experiences with PMC. I have no experience with the new Fort Smith pistols, but all Walther PPK or PPK/S pistols will generally devour
round nose FMJ. However, expect less reliability with flat nose FMJ. I would also stick with only brass cartridges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a new US made PPK/S. So far it has run PPU and Fiocci ammo reliably.

I’m a lefty, and the only malfunctions I have had are the result of my thumb being too close to the ejection port and causing a jam while the pistol is cycling (in other words a user issue not the pistol).

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with round-nosed FMJ from any of the big three: Federal, Remington or Winchester. Others may be equally good, or not, but those are reliable.

The only caveat is that the pistol might be hard-sprung for high-velocity defensive ammo, in which case you may get "short recoil" stoppages. Using HV ammo for target use is not a pleasant solution, so the logical remedy then is a reduced-power spring from Wolff's.

M

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..........so the logical remedy then is a reduced-power spring from Wolff's........
Which Wolff spring do you suggest?

Recoil Springs. - Recoil Springs are available with load-rated specifications to tailor the recoil function to individual needs. Each load-rated recoil spring pak includes an extra power firing pin spring.

Reduced Power...: 14, 15, 16 & 17 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 20 Lb.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Which Wolff spring do you suggest?

Recoil Springs. - Recoil Springs are available with load-rated specifications to tailor the recoil function to individual needs. Each load-rated recoil spring pak includes an extra power firing pin spring.

Reduced Power...: 14, 15, 16 & 17 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 20 Lb.
In my S&W version PPK I have tried the 17lb spring, which makes racking the slide much easier. I would not go any lower primarily cause I have to assume there is a good reason the original is a 20. I’m now using the stock spring.

Regarding ammo, I have had good service out of CCI Blazer Brass.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a new US made PPK/S. So far it has run PPU and Fiocci ammo reliably.

I’m a lefty, and the only malfunctions I have had are the result of my thumb being too close to the ejection port and causing a jam while the pistol is cycling (in other words a user issue not the pistol).
My first outing with my 2019 PPK/S involved whatever the LGS wanted to sell me, which was Sellier & Bellot. (In part I wanted to be sure it wasn’t a finicky eater). No issues, but not my favorite; lots of cleaning needed after.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My new production (2019) PPK/S likes Remington UMC and CCI Blazer, both 95GR round nose FMJ. Remington Golden Saber (JHP) also seem to work fine.

Ammo I've found to be basically unusable even for plinking include: Sig Sauer 100Gr flat nose and GECO 95Gr FMJ (round nose). Additionally, though CCI Blazer (brass) works, it runs dirtier than most and so you can only expect to get through the first box before you have to clean it.

On that note, it is a direct blowback gun and so gets filthy in a hurry. I've given up on trying to shoot more than 100 rounds in a session. That second box of 50 starts getting very sketchy towards the end with all the feeding issues.

Mine does have an issue with the slide lock spring which I need to have fixed by Walther. So I will be sending it back to them sometime in the next couple weeks to get that sorted. May see if they can do anything about the ammo pickiness too but that might just be the way it's designed. Either way, very fun gun even if a bit unreliable by modern standards.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My new production (2019) PPK/S likes Remington UMC and CCI Blazer, both 95GR round nose FMJ. Remington Golden Saber (JHP) also seem to work fine....................it is a direct blowback gun and so gets filthy in a hurry. I've given up on trying to shoot more than 100 rounds in a session. That second box of 50 starts getting very sketchy towards the end with all the feeding issues........
That's good to know, both the good part and the frequent cleaning. I started searching for good practice (FMJ) ammo last night, and after an hour or two, the Remington UMC sounded the most promising - I now have 500 rounds on order from Brownell's.

Is the new Walther-made PPK/S identical to the S&W version? I was looking for new grips, and found that wood grips are different for the S&W PPK/S. I'm not sure what's different, but many of the websites specify whether or not their grips will fit on the S&W model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's good to know, both the good part and the frequent cleaning. I started searching for good practice (FMJ) ammo last night, and after an hour or two, the Remington UMC sounded the most promising - I now have 500 rounds on order from Brownell's.

Is the new Walther-made PPK/S identical to the S&W version? I was looking for new grips, and found that wood grips are different for the S&W PPK/S. I'm not sure what's different, but many of the websites specify whether or not their grips will fit on the S&W model.
I have Winchester white box on the way; will send updates when there’s something to tell.

My model came with cocobolo grips so I’m not shopping for any. Might be best if you verify they’ll fit S&W models before ordering yours; an actual phone call may be needed?

As for cleaning I’m permanently assuming these need plenty of clean and oil like every other steel frame-and-slide arm I’ve owned, but you know that process.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dunno, my CZ-75B will go 300-400 rounds no problem without cleaning (never tried more). My PPK/S gets unhappy after around 70-90, depending on brand. Regardless, I just ran a box of 50 PMC Bronze through it, zero issues. The gun felt happy too when shooting it. I know that's an odd thing to say, but it just seemed to like it. Will definitely be buying more of that.

I also have some flat nose Winchester white box coming in the mail, will let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My pistols never go into the safe without an initial field strip cleaning consisting of wiping clean the inside of the slide and breech face, wiping clean the rails, pushing a clean rag through the magazine well and a first pass on the bore with a bore brush soaked in ballistol followed by a patch or two. Then, within a day or two, I'll do a more detailed cleaning and oiling. My compulsion for cleaning weapons, after any amount of firing, comes from the Army (infantry.)

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
"White gloves" was never the deal with us in basic in '70; lube was more important.

If clean makes ya' happy, go for it. But more guns worn out by cleaning than shooting...and clean guns don't get shot. That would make them dirty, fer pity's sake! ;)
MHO, but any gun that needs a cleaning after less than 100 rounds is suspect for anything serious.
If I'm going to carry it, it will be clean and oiled...otherwise, not so much.
Moon

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
592 Posts
Halfmoonclip - I always enjoy (and respect) your posts, but I would wager shooting a dirty firearm wears it more than cleaning it. That said, steel cleaning rods probably did ruin the crown's of many muzzles. Never saw any white gloves . . .

·
Registered
71 Posts
"White gloves" was never the deal with us in basic in '70; lube was more important.

If clean makes ya' happy, go for it. But more guns worn out by cleaning than shooting...and clean guns don't get shot. That would make them dirty, fer pity's sake! ;)
MHO, but any gun that needs a cleaning after less than 100 rounds is suspect for anything serious.
If I'm going to carry it, it will be clean and oiled...otherwise, not so much.
Moon
You win one (1) Internet Point for finding a point to quibble about, less one-half (0.5) Internet Point for discussing something I never said.

:)

Anyway it is my regular practice to clean arms after use to leave them in readiness; and like a break-in period on an engine cylinder, both use and cleaning (including lubrication) are in my experience good for metal parts.

Again, not a materials engineer; the polymer firearms in my experience seem to require less break-in. You can argue whether that's design, tolerance, materials, or whatever all day. I thought this was the "good target shooting ammo for PPK/S .380" thread, though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I almost always clean my guns between trips to the range. Sometimes more thoroughly than others, but they at least get a quick wipe down with an oily rag/patch and a quick bore wiping. If you clean a gun properly, it will not add any wear or tear. If anything, it should reduce it. But the only gun I've ever worn out was a Walther P22 and it took around 20-30k rounds to finally kill it. It was on the third barrel when I finally gave up on the thing. I still have it, it needs a new slide though and so will never shoot again. :p

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Guys, not meaning to argue (for your newbs, we don't do much of that here; we're a mellow bunch), but our threads do wander.
As regards over-cleaning, I'll stand by that, but it's also just me. If squeaky clean before putting away makes ya' happy, go for it. DE, concur about steel cleaning rods. Use a brass bore guide for revolvers.
As regards ammo, make sure a given brand works before committing to a ton of it.

Hearing Mike suggest a weaker recoil spring almost gave me the vapors, but with lighter loaded ammo, it might work. These Walthers can just be cranky.

Moon

·
Registered
592 Posts
new to the forum but not to firearms. I did take the bait, couldn't pass on your assertion that "more guns worn out by cleaning than shooting."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All the other information is great, but yeah, I originally wanted to find some light target shooting ammo. Haven't found any yet. I know my gun ran through 50 rounds of Fiocchi with no problems, and has started on a box of Magtech, and I have some Remington on order - Remington and Winchester are up near the top of my list.

Regarding cleaning, I'll clean mine before I put it away, and probably after several trips to the range. I thought the light spring made sense, but if I can't find any light shooting target ammo, I guess the stock spring is going to stay. I'm still very much a "newbie" here, as I've now shot only a total of 70 rounds.

I'd love to find some Cocobolo grips as mentioned above, but they need to be for the S&W version of the gun, and most of the grips I find that I like say they're NOT for my gun. I found Hogue grips, but they're "flat", not rounded, so they're out. I think I posted a photo of my gun with the wood grips on it - I think they look too fancy, but they're plenty comfortable. I have a feeling they're going to stay on the gun. In case I didn't, I'll post it again......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts