Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9MM PPQ and only have purchased regular 9mm FMJ rounds for it for range shooting. However, this is my personal protection gun and CC gun (which I do very little). I am interested in purchasing some rounds specifically for self defense and would like some recommendations with a few caveats.
I am looking for something that is fairly common and easily found local. I don't need anything real exotic or expensive. If it is available at a Walmart, all the bettter but I have some other options with more selection available as well.
THanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
50 Posts
Look up Ammoquest on YouTube. 124gr and 147gr Federal Premium HST in standard (and +P) pressure's did extremely well in those tests, even from a 3-inch barrel. I carry 124 gr HST's in all my 9mm SD guns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought a 20 round pack of the Federal 124g HST rounds. Thanks guys. I will load a magazine with 16 of them and the other 4 will go to the range with me to see how they shoot compared to my range ammo.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just bought a 20 round pack of the Federal 124g HST rounds. Thanks guys. I will load a magazine with 16 of them and the other 4 will go to the range with me to see how they shoot compared to my range ammo.
If you like them I would look into 50-round boxes. They cost about the same as the 20-round "display" boxes.

Apparently Federal is putting pressure on sellers to sell the 50 round boxes, marked "LE", to Law Enforcement only. Some online stores are still selling it to consumers, but that may not last.

I'd want to run more than a few rounds of it (like more than a box) through the gun to confirm there are no issues before calling it good.

I shot almost 500 rounds through my new carry gun without a failure before carrying it, and plenty of those were the actual round (HSTs) I planned to use.

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
A nice local shop that styles itself as 'the officers' store' handles the 50 round boxes of Gold Dots.
I'll have to check availability the next time I'm down there.
Moon

·
Registered
578 Posts
Throwing my hat in for 147gr HSTs. The 147gr American Eagle FMJs perform similarly for plinking and the ballistics of the HST, itself, is just fantastic!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I shoot 147 gr HSTs in my PPQ Q4 Tac when I have my DeadAir can on the front. I shoot 124 Speer Gold Dot +P in my PPQ Q4 for car duty. I do not have a timer, but I believe that I can get back on target for follow-up a little more quickly with the Gold Dot. Additionally, my Q4 is slightly more accurate with the Gold Dots than the 147 HSTs, but that could be due to the specific dynamics of my gun. I performed a 250 round evaluation with each load and the gun functioned flawlessly. Shoot both and pick the one with which you are the most comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are many good choices and the differences between them are mostly either theoretical or a question of reliability and hitting at point of aim in your particular gun. Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger-T and Federal HST are, in my view, the best choices out there. I see no real benefit in +p, but other folks feel differently. Gold Dot 124gr +p is probably the leading police issue 9mm round.

I am frequently playing around with some new wonder-round, but in 9mm, 147 HST is my favorite and preferred in almost all scenarios.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.