Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
  This section of the forum has been quite slow.  I'm surprised since the P22 appears to be quite a popular pistol.

I'm thinking of getting a P22 3.4" over the winter.  Something to help me learn faster how to shoot better with my P99.  I also think it'd be a lot of fun to shoot in itself, and very economical.  

I'm wondering what a good price is for a P22 with 3.4" barrel in the standard black finish?  If I buy one, I will probably buy at a gunshow, so I'd like to know what I should expect to pay before I go in.  I went to gunbroker and the prices are all over the place, from $220 to almost $500 (for a black 3.4", no extras...what was the guy thinking?).  I've seen them at my gun shop for around $265, but I know their prices tend to be on the high side.

Also, I am wondering if they come with the magazines with the finger rest extension or the standard baseplate.  Is adding a finger extension just a matter of changing the baseplate or would I have to get a whole new magazine?

Thanks in advance for everybody's help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 5" barrel model. I paid $280 for it.
I saw several 3.4 models around $250. If you can get a 3.4 for under that I'd go for it.
But if its a 5" model that you maybe looking for I honestly wouldn't pay over $300.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, I am wondering if they come with the magazines with the finger rest extension or the standard baseplate. Is adding a finger extension just a matter of changing the baseplate or would I have to get a whole new magazine?
I'm not totally sure about this question. My P-22 came with what I consider as extensions on all mags. But I cant say that I have ever seen any mags that didnt for this pistol.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
$220 is an excellent price for P22 3.4" Blue.
$260 is an excellent price for P22 5" Blue.

Magazines are only available in standard or extended finger rest. They are not convertible (to the best of my knowledge).

$18 is an excellent price for the magazines.

James

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for your replies.

I think I'll purchase one after xmas. My range has one for rental for $10, so I'll try it out before I make a final decision. I'll look for one in the $220 to $250 range at a local Virginia gunshow.

The person that I talked to at the range/store told me that the P22 was designed with a 10,000 round service life in mind. He said that the barrel would begin to show serious wear at the 10K point because it is made of aluminum and wrapped by a sleeve that is weak. He also mentioned that the polymer frame is prone to cracking. Does anybody know if this is true?

I am curious because I do trust him - he actually suggested to me that I go to a gunshow to buy since they would likely offer a much better price than he could for this weapon. He suggested Taurus .22 revolvers which are available for around the same price, but I'm not much of a wheelgun fan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The person that I talked to at the range/store told me that the P22 was designed with a 10,000 round service life in mind.  He said that the barrel would begin to show serious wear at the 10K point because it is made of aluminum and wrapped by a sleeve that is weak.  He also mentioned that the polymer frame is prone to cracking.  Does anybody know if this is true?  
I have no idea one way or the other on that one.
Maybe someone else in these forums would know.
I'm sure with a little research on the net you'll get your answer.

My first spot to look would be here ---> Rimefire Central

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everybody,
Thanks for the past replies. I went to the range after work this past Friday and rented a 5" P22.

It was one finicky pistol. The a few rounds would FTE for the first 4 or 5 magfulls. The round would fire and the slide would pull back, but the extractor did not pull the casing out of the chamber. The slide would load a new round from the magazine and it would jam up against the spent casing in the chamber. Closing the slide and attempting to extract would not work. I ended up having to hold the pistol up and tap it against my palm to get to work the casing slowly out of the chamber enough that I could pick it out with my finger.

I also had quite a few ight strikes during this period as well. Some of these could be attributed to the safety lever working its way out of the full "F" position from recoil forces. After this "warm up" period, it seemed to work fine. The last several magfulls I experienced no failures of any kind.

The people at my range said that most of the rental pistols needed to be cleaned badly and that some of the problems I experienced were probably attributed to this. They didn't even charge me for the rental because I was a customer who was considering buying a pistol and they thought it meritable that I had the sense to rent one first.

I went to a gunshow in Bealeton, VA on Saturday and saw a P22 NIB for $205.00. The great price almost tempted me to buy it, but then I recalled my experiences at the range and thought better of it.

I did get to see a 1943 Walther PPK 7.62mm selling for $475. The finish was a little beat up, but otherwise it looked great. I also handled a PPK/S imported by Interarms. It had the blued finish...what a beautiful weapon! It fit my hand perfectly (I have smaller sized hands) and the weight and feel was wonderful. I think I've been bitten by the PPK bug. I'm glad I held off on the P22, because now I've got my sights set on a PPK/S, perhaps after I get my income tax refund.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You should have bought it for $205, that is a great price. You can't judge a pistol by your experiences with a dirty range gun!

My P22 had problems initially in the first 50 - 100 rounds, but they have since cleared up and it functions flawlessly. AND it functions flawlessly with a suppressor now also!

Many of the problems people have had were cleared up by replaced magazines, break-in of 100-200 rounds and using higher quality or velocity ammo.

The P22 is a great pistol - FOR THE MONEY. Yes, you can spend more, but hey, it's a Walther.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
extremist,
Yes, it was a really good price. But even if I had a positive experience with the pistol at the range I don't think I would have bought it anyway. When I first shot a P22 (way back over the summer before I ever owned a handgun) it was much more exciting than it was last weekend. I guess I've gotten used to the larger 9mm of my P99. Thats not to say that the P22 is useless or anything. I just felt like I would get bored of it more quickly than it was worth.

Who knows...maybe one of these days I will end up getting one. Just not right now
Besides, I've got other things I need to save up my earnings for - like a 2004 Nissan 350Z, hopefully in late summer/early fall of this coming year

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had a P22 for a year and have found it to be very reliable............after a break-in period. At first, I did have some failures to extract on occasion, but no more. I always clean the weapon as soon as I'm back from the range. Normally, I use Velocitors in it, but lately I've been using WalMart bulk pack .22s. The last time out I probably shot 200 rounds without any type of feeding or extracting problems. My P22 has a 5" barrel, and I have had problems at times with the bushing that screws on to the barrel coming loose. I just have to really tighten it down with the wrench that comes with the pistol. Otherwise, it's a very reliable and enjoyable .22 pistol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts