Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I zero my red dot on the 5" P22 that is suppressed I can load one brand of ammo...say, CCI quiet and get 10 rounds in 3/8"to 1/2" group. Then if I load CCI Subsonic hollow points I will again get a good group....an inch away, perhaps down and right. Load some Federals and they group elsewhere. Load some Rem Goldens...same story. They are not hitting the suppressor...Silencerco SS Sparrow. Clean barrel, clean chamber. Red dot is not not moving. If I go back to CCI quiet...they return to the same spot as previously. I can easily zero but that isn't doing much good unless I stick with the same ammo. This is only at 21', offhand and of course at 15 yds or 25M this will be huge. Any ideas. 1917

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Same idea behind different brands/weights of rifle ammunition behaving differently in the same rifle.
I had an old Enfield I rebuilt years ago. Loved 150 grain pills, federal brand. Kept same rag-holed zero test after test. Bought Winnie 150’s, couldn’t hit broad side of a cows butt with a snow shovel.
The minute you introduce different powder, pill composition, primer strength, heck even different brass with different wall thickness and composition.... all of it changes. Lose one constant, it all becomes a variable.

Even in something as miniscule as .22 long rifle. Out at 75 yards, groups might still be tight, but none at same POI.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to take the suppressor off and test again. I don't know that I have ever noticed this before. 21' feet seems a bit short for this kind of change. I also need to get a bag to rest the pistol on so I can make sure it is not my trigger finger. Nah, it's the ammo or something. 1917

1 - 3 of 3 Posts