Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used P99 (Military) from a local individual. Got it for $400, with three mags, box, etc. A good buy, I thought, as the gun is like new, fired about 50 rounds. But the guy had lost the extra front sights that originally came with the gun. I wanted to have everything that came with the gun, even though I may or maybe use them. I contacted Walther customer service (Smith & Wesson) via e-mail and asked if the sights were available for purchase. They returned my e-mail within 24 hours and said they would ship me the sights, no charge. Nice service!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
They seem to be very nice people over a phone. However, follow your order and always record a name of a guy you are talking with. Some time ago I wrote on this board about a recoil rod that chipped after one of the shooting sessions. I called them and they were extremely polite and nice and agreed to ship a new one (no cost!) to me. I would say at least 3 weeks passed by and finally I decided to give them a call. A new person on the phone couldn't find any traces of my order in their computer. I didn't take a name of the first rep, neither I had an order number. I was doomed. This new guy was as nice and helpful as the first one, though. He is sending the rod to me, and this time I jotted down any needful info. I am positive it was a simple mistake and no bad intentions on their part. Things happen.
Just a small advise!

·
Registered
187 Posts
one year warranty, includes the P22.
I had a positive experience with warranty work by Walrep, S&W, with my P22. Never had a problem with the P99, 9mm.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Before anyone starts complaining about the customers service in the US, I tought I might share my experiences with you. As a European (Belgian) citizen, owing and shooting a German made P99 Military, I have to admit that I'm better off with American companies if it comes to after sales service.

When I wanted to order the wooden backstrap for my P99, my local dealer (where I bought the gun) refused stating that the wooden backstrap only was available for 'La Chasse' owners (?). No big deal, I ordered (and got) it through Earl's.

Next thing was ordering a HiViz front sight. The people of the local gun shops looked to me like if I was speaking Chinese. Also ordered and got this item through Earl's.

When asking for the Sprinco recoil reducer (or any other available make that fitted my P99), same story and I had to order it at the Italian dealer of Sprinco USA (which I did).

Also wanted a Fobus holster for my P99. Couldn't find any dealer in Europe who wanted to sell to civilians and ended up ordering it through S&W. Very nice guys (and girls) indeed. I had to wait about 4 weeks before it passed through Belgian customs and I paid about the same amount of money for import taxes, custom charges etc. as I did pay to S&W (not blaming S&W though !!).

Finally I contacted Walther Germany to express my concern regarding the battered locking block of my gun. They answered my mail stating that the locking block didn't need any replacement (how could they judge that without seeing the gun ?) and they referred to the Belgian distributor for any questions left. Upon contacting him (by phone and later by fax) the guy didn't speak a word of Dutch (one of the three official languages here in Belgium, spoken by 60 % of the population). OK, I switched to French (which I happen to speak very good) but the guy seemed not very interested to help a civilian. They ended up sending me an e-mail stating they did not deal with individuals and they referred to my local gun shop (of which the guy knows nothing about gun smithing as he's merely a sales guy). So I ordered the new locking block at Earl's (thank you again Earl's !!!) and replaced the locking block myself, considering myself lucky that I'm handy and that I'm managing an engine repair shop with the proper tools and equipment (hydraulic press). Costs of the operation : 55 US$ for the locking block (including shipping), which I feel should have been taken care of by Walther.

Although only the last item was 'warranty related', it took a lot of searching and other efforts from my side in order to obtain what I wanted.

I think next time I consider buying a European gun, I'll move to the U.S. because gun manufacturers (not government or LE related) customer service in Europe really sucks.

Have a nice day, good shooting and keep it safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts