Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm just getting started out and recently picked up a P99 9mm as my first firearm. Very happy with the gun and now looking for your opninions on the type of ammo you use at the range. I've settled on Federal Hydra-Shock for home defense use. I've fired the Fiocci, PMC, Remington, and Winchester 9mm at the range and can't make up my mind.

By the way, thanks for the cleaning articles!!!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
magtech ammo

Add those to your range amm list.... they shoot very clean IMHO..... and come in 115gr or 124 gr

·
Registered
471 Posts
If it goes "Bang!" then it's good range ammo!
Well, almost... I stay away from lead bullets, other peoples reloads and steel cases, other than that, I shoot them all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Winchester White Box from walmart, 11 bucks for 100 rounds? Can life get any better? I submit it cannot

·
Registered
75 Posts
Academy out here in Fort Worth sells a box of 250 Remington for 27 dollars.

I prefer the Winchester from wal-mart because it shoots cleaner, but it is REAL hard to pass up that box of 250 - even if it is a dirtier ammo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
after shooting cci blazer aluminum I'm regularly disgusted by WWB. I put 300 rounds of blazer through my P99 and it stays clean. I put 50 WWB through it and the end of the gun gets covered in soot. I've noticed that blazer brass is a lower quality product than blazer aluminum though. Incidentally, the aluminum cases would be reloadable if they were boxer instead of berdan primed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In .40 S&W, WWB 180 is really really dirty, covering the slide in soot within the 1st magazine. Switched over to UMC 180 .. and it's still a little dirty. Finally switched over to CCI Blazer Brass 165 for a cleaner gun. Personally will not go back to WWB.

I was interested in trying out solid copper hallow points. (Wouldn't want a perp to die from lead poisoning.) So I tried the Magtech Solid Copper Hallow Points 130 with nickel coated shells (not the Clean Range that Uncut recommended) ... talk about flash. Sheesh. I could see the muzzle flash and my friend commented that it shot flash up to a foot out of the barrel. Lit the whole room up (indoor range). Not sure if that will make a good night time defensive round unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I'm still experimenting with different ammo. Will try the Magtech Clean Range if I can find some.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Archangel99, That is precisely how you determine what you and your gun likes for range ammo!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
this is what I been using

I didn't try the range ammo yet.... I just noticed across the board that magtech was clean ammo.....

·
Registered
539 Posts
I found both Sellier and Belot and Armscore (sp?) to be very mild ammo. Much less recoil than Winchester white box and other brands. I suppose you could argue both ways if that's good or bad. Mild ammo is pleasant to shoot so you can fire more rounds but at the same time there's something to be said for training as you would in real life (ie. full recoil). I guess it's nice to have a choice. I bought a whole box of different ammo types a while back with the intent of publishing it on my ammotracker website but sort of lost interest in it. Maybe after my move I'll pick it up again. I guess it would be helpful for others to know who shoots what ammo with which gun etc.

PS this related to 40 caliber, not 9mm, sorry

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also like the CCI blazer aluminium. Its cheap works fine in my 99c and it doesnt weigh as much in the range bag.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CCI blazer aluminum, buy the case (double meaning intended), 9mm 115gr, 40sw 180gr, works great in all 3 of my p99s. It outshoots most of the people at the range.

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts