Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Remington Bullets 22LR for several years and have had good success with them in several guns. On par with CCI Mini Mags. Almost all have come from the 525 round (or smaller) box. I have received two buckets of GB’s as gifts and finally got around to shooting some. Took my Walther PPK/S to the range and first finished off a partial box of CCI Stingers then started on the GB’s. All went ok but seems they were a bit more smokey than others I’ve used. After about 5-6 magazines worth the gun started giving me the finger in that FTE, Stove pipes, fail to go into battery.

My question is: are the bucket bullets a lower grade than the small box or 525 box? Any helpful feedback Appreciated.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
This is interesting. I have heard such things in various circles. I tend to avoid Big Green's ammo as it ALL seems to be dirty shooting ammo. Even the Golden Bullets, they have a flaky coating on the pill that sheds off rather easily and is a residue on my hands. Plus their Core Lokt rounds leave a copper green residue in the tube of every rifle I have put them through. I had an old British Enfield that I rebuilt for a hobby, and Remmy had the cheapest .303 British ammo on the market for a while, and I found out why. They were cheaper than Prvi Partizan at the time. But after running solvent and patches through the bore post-range session, ALL the patches came out sickly green.

I had such bad luck with Thunderbolts in .22lr that, like I said, I avoid Big Green unless it is the ONLY thing available. I have to imagine that even though all those rounds are probably made on the same line, there has to be SOMETHING different about them that they are put in bulk and sold at a really competitive price like they are.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference. I doubt they have a different line for buckets vs boxed. I shot an entire bucket at one sitting not long ago and every round fired although a couple of times the chamber was getting a bit dirty and almost causing a stoppage. I did not stop to clean the chamber and fired the last 50 as fast as I could. When the chamber gets dirty a round might not fully seat and unless it is fully seated the round "gives" as the firing pin hits it. The round will usually fire on the second strike. I had a few of those but it wasn't an ammo problem, it was a dirty chamber problem. Sometimes as I shoot the chamber begins to get dirty and then gets cleaner as I go along. You would not think the RGB's are as good as CCI and I don't think they are. I don't like the loose fitment of the lead at the case, seems moisture would get in there.....but, one thing the RGB's do is pop out of the short barrel pistol creating what feel to me like the exact same amount of blowback energy CCI Mini Mags create. This is essential for proper cycling of the slide.

I've cleaned a P22, loaded and fired up to 3,000 rounds without any stoppage on the pistol's part several times. No cleaning or lubing allowed and no stoppage that can be attributed to the mag or pistols. Dud rounds don't count against the pistol. In some of the 535 RGB boxes I might run into 1 to 4 duds. Or none.

If someone offered me 100,000 free RGB or Mini Mags......Mini Mags all the way. They are cleaner. My two cents....I've shot a lot of both through P22s. 1917

Photo of such a sit down and firing 3,000 rounds...this one was with a 5" pistol and Federal. They ran fine this time...but some old boxes where the wax was non existent, dried out or hardened, might lead up the barrel and cause keyholing. Plated rounds resist this much better. I have had the thought that Mini Mags would run 5,000 or 10,000 rounds without a pistol caused stoppage. And no cleaning or lubing. I used dry, powdered moly and no oil.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve always had good results with GB’s which is why the latest outting was such a surprise. I‘ll given another go next week.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yes do tell us how you make out with that. 1917, that was an impressive photo! That to me would be a place of much zen. The outdoor range I frequent has seen me do something similar. Had a case of Aguila and Norma 22’s, went through both cases that day, Thought I was going to shoot the barrel out of her. Waxed pills in both cases, and it just ran and ran and ran. I thought the wax was going to cause an issue, but just the opposite in fact.

I have always been nervous about lead sitting loosely in the brass casing, but after having used rounds like that for so many years, I don’t put much more thought to it. Granted, I have a bad habit of NOT stocking up on ammo, especially .22lr. So the rounds I have on hand usually are gone within a week’s time. Itchy trigger finger at the root of the issue, I am sure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Followup. Went to the range yesterday and had similar issues as before but never got to the point where it just stopped. plenty of fail to eject, stove pipes, couple of jams. I also got a healthy dose powder in the face, and several where it sounded like just the primer ignited. Not the GB’s I’ve had good luck with. Maybe I’ll try some from my other bucket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had decent luck with the boxed ones (the plastic box of 100 that they're all stacked nice) much of the problem is that .22 ammo is fragile. ANY bulk packed 22 ammo is going to have loose bullets, misshapen ogives, etc from the fact that it was bulk packed and bounced around into each other.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to the range with the original bucket, as well as 40 rounds from a different bucket. As expected the first bucket ammo performed poorly again. Switched to the second bucket and they ran flawlessly. :unsure:

I also shot from the first bucket, 50 rounds through My Henry. They all went bang although a few sounded like they had gone through a silencer, and still got some incompletely burnt powder in the face.

well I guess I’ll use them up over time.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That is really creepy, man. Sounds like a bucket of squibs. It really does. I'd jot down the lot number and call Remington and ask if they had any issues with said lot. Also inform them of everything happening. They might make it worth your time. Maybe..... Maybe just give you a "Bankruptcy IOU"..... Hahahah

How were you getting powder to the face?? Ejected shells spitting some out? Mighty dangerous, should it ignite in midair or after it lands on you. Powder burns are NO BUENO. Think rope burns, but worse. I have had welding spatter burns that were nothing compared to a powder flash. Pistol powder is "fast burning" and hot as the fires of h e double hockey sticks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did email and they responded the next day. They sent me a FedEx ticket to send the remaining rounds and upon inspection send me a new bucket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts