Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this West German .380 PP at my lgs. The guys said it was factory gold plated 14k gold. I have my doubts, but am no expert. Was most confused not to see any importation marks. Was under the impression all West German guns were imported by Interarms. 1973 appears to be the manufacture date.
Just noticed the faint "pennsauken n.j" engraving near the mag release.

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't believe this is factory. 1. It is not a high polish, it looks more like some sort of bead blast. 2. there appear to be pits or punch marks on the right side of the frame. 3. the lines are not crisp. 4. even the red color in the paint looks off.... (granted, lighting at the time of the picture and color representation on my computer screen could affect that)5. the blasting looks like it was over the importers mark, AND the plating is too, neither of which is possible if the plating was done by Ulm

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Looks like its got some muzzle wear to. Somebody carried that thing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have seen and read about the “Pennsauken NJ” on various surplus guns, including Lugers. It is usually found as part of an importer stamp ECCSA (which maybe under the slightly oversized grip panel?). Some sources ascribe it to an importer named Cross Roads Gun Shop in Pennsauken.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Interesting handles, if they are ivory then the grips are worth more than the pistol.
Nicely fitted and very attractive, but more likely a solid white resin. Some years ago, they were widely available commercially for Walthers and many other brands.

M

·
Registered
863 Posts
Could be nice BBQ gun and fun shooter & crowd gatherer at the range. The sights would be cool to see in another pic. Red bar & dot would be cool on the gold.
'73 is a good Ulm (Manurhin) year.
In .380 and a larger PP, it should be tame enough and fun to shoot.
What is the price?
Can the gold be verified at a jeweler with a tiny scratch/acid test for gold?
I kind of like it even with the dings and such. Character, like it's been through a fight or two.
Price??
More pics?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have seen gold plated guns before, usually engraved luxury models, this does not look like a real gold plating. Gold plating is applied by a galvanic process and does not leave that kind of rough texture, ergo definitely not a factory finish but Bubba's job when he oversampled the moonshine:D.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
There's a voice in the back of my head (happens a lot); have we seen this guy before?
Concur with Viper; if it's not stupid expensive ('Reinhard Heydrich's personal sidearm' or some other lie). :)
Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, I do not have any more pics for those asking. I did not purchase this PP. Saw it at the gun store and had to take a closer look. Never cared for flashy or engraved guns, but was curious as to its origins and authenticity. I believe they were asking $1,500. Same place I got my Interams stainless ppk for $525. Like anywhere, it's hit or miss on what u find.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
$1500????????

Wow. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Some sucker will fall for it though...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well, that price is a real eye opener. There will be a sucker buying it someday. W.C.Fields always said it best about one born every minute.
Maybe $350-$400 tops at the most.
Mike was funny on his gold plating response. Could even be a Krylon spray over pitting.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Well, that price is a real eye opener. There will be a sucker buying it someday. W.C.Fields always said it best about one born every minute.
Maybe $350-$400 tops at the most.
Mike was funny on his gold plating response. Could even be a Krylon spray over pitting.
I strongly suspect a spray on finish, not just looking at the slide serrations but also the teaxture. I would prefer a worn-down-to-heels original gun over such an abomination.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Anyone remember that "pimpin' Walther PP" thread from way back when?
It was a chromed plated AC stamped end of the war last minute put together PP when they didn't heat treat the parts. A GI brought back. Had gold plated trigger, hammer, mag release, safety, etc.
I suckered in on it, but it was only $300 and I got that money back selling it. The buyer knew all this and just wanted an office desk show off James Bond show piece/paper weight. He still has it. Maybe increases his chances of getting laid with his female clients.
Need to find that thread and pictures. Had the end of war weighted grips and even the one mag it came with had a gold flat base and the mag body was chromed.
Damn, need to find that thread and the original GB listing.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm sure it's real gold plating... that part looks totally legit to me. It's everything that was done prior to the plating that is the problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts