Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried this in their PPS? This is a 9mm +P load but looks like it has the same energy as a standard load from a 3.5" barrel rather than a 5" barrel. Also, any suggestions for range ammo with similar ballistics? Not necessarily interested in shooting+P all the time but for carry seems like a good choice.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
124gr and 147gr NON- +P HST ammo beat the gold dots every time out of shorty barrels in the ShootingtheBull410 comparisons which I think are among the most comprehensive and best done on the internet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
124gr and 147gr NON- +P HST ammo beat the gold dots every time out of shorty barrels in the ShootingtheBull410 comparisons which I think are among the most comprehensive and best done on the internet.
Yeah, this ^^^

Winchester 147g Defend also performed extremely well in short barrels in his and other tests. That's what I carry in my PPS. I have 124g HST in my CZ P-07 because the Defend didn't always cycle quite right.

If you're coming into this without an existing ammo reserve, I'd go with HST.

115g Critical Defense doesn't penetrate as far as others in those tests, but it also seems to have consistency on its side. Many JHPs (HST included) will turn into FMJs when people run informal tests through many layers of denim, or a piece of jacket, etc. I don't know whether anyone has tried that with Critical Defense but in theory that plugged cavity may make it more likely to still expand well through extra clothing barriers.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't think that it makes that much REAL difference in the shorter barrels. I mean, if you hit the target with a GD 124, or an HST, or a Win Defender or a Hornady CD...as long as you have a good BJHP and your gun runs it well, and you can hit what you point the pistol at, you're good to go. I use HST 124 gr right now cause I got a real good deal on it at www.bonefroggunclub.com, and because I have run a bunch of it through my carry pistols and it is reliable. I just don't get wrapped around the axle on which if of the premium rounds is best. The differences are actually quite minute. I care more about reliable function in the gun. And of course, the price. Gold Dots, Fed HST, Hornady CD, or XTP, Underwood BJHP, it's all good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That comparison chart is interesting. The one piece of information that it lacks is accuracy numbers. Granted, you are generally looking at close ranges, but the best penetration and expansion is useless if you can't consistently hit your target. In my limited experience with the PPS I have seen dramatic differences in accuracy of different ammo.

Also, any recommendations on matching range ammo to carry ammo? I only looked at the Speer webpage but they don't give a specific match so you can practice with the cheaper ball and save the expensive rounds for carry.

Always learning so thank you for all of the info.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Two things that often get overlooked.....

Self defense shootings happen at arms length most often. But if you should miss, what will that round hit and do if it doesn’t hit the bad guy or passes clean through. You are still on the hook for that one.

I think over penetration is an important factor to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts