Walther Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The spring made a difference for me. I also noticed a big difference after the whole assembly was cleaned, the trigger was much smoother. If the striker assembly is dirty, a lighter spring is might result in a misfire. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Somewhere here I commented on the trigger feel after I pulled the firing pin assembly and wiped it along with the channel down. No live. Trigger was much smoother. Well worth it for 5-7 minutes worth of work.

-- Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
The $3.25 standard Glock striker spring worked really well in my new PPS M2 RMSC. Trigger is now 5 lbs and smooth as butter - really nice clean break. I can put 4" groups with this at 15 yards - rapid fire. That's all I need for an EDC gun. Thanks to this thread for the great tip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have about 300 rds thru my M2 now with the Glock striker spring. No issues at all. I see no reason to go back to the really heavy trigger created by the overly heavy stock spring. As always YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now anyone know how to remove the extractor? TIA
This vid of a PPQ shows how to remove the extractor. My PPS M2 was held in the same way. Of course, I lost the retainer & spring but was able to find it in the shag rug with a magnet. it did not fly far ( landed next to chair).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Put another 60+ rounds through the PPS earlier this afternoon. As usual, my subsonic target handloads had a mix of WSP and S&B primers. Again, I also shot a small batch primed with the Remington No. 5½ small pistol magnum primer. All 60+ rounds were lit off using the 6 lb. Glock striker spring with no problems. Attached is an image showing a sampling of fired cases sporting the Remington magnum primers. You can see the very positive striker hits on the primers; I'm thinking that dropping down to a 5.5 lb. striker spring will probably still maintain 100% ignition reliability while further improving the trigger pull.

The PPS continues to astound me with its inherent mechanical accuracy. The second attached image shows the best target achieved during this afternoon's range session, shooting from 24 yards standing and offhand. I often have to remind myself that this is a sub-$300 self-defense handgun.
I'm look at the Glock striker springs now. The standard striker spring is 5.5 lb. Which weight would you recommend for 100% reliability?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is interesting. Guess you just happened to stumble upon it. I wonder if when Walther designed it, the only springs readily available were the ones that were too long like the factory ones. But I immediately contradict myself, as you pointed out the Glock ones exist.

I have done something similar to a firing pin spring in a bolt action rifle. It was an older Remington that was showing consistent light primer strikes and failure to ignite cartridge. You could tell the lock time was just dismal and there was no force behind it. I did some searching on the spring in. Measured the one I had, checked specs, and called to ask Remington what to do, do I need to ship it back, etc. They said it would be a long wait on getting a replacement out to me.

Hello McMaster-Carr!!! Thank heavens they have an app on Apple devices. GoodNESS was it much simpler to find a bag of springs with same specs as factory for a few bucks, and added it on to an order for work, and didn’t even pay shipping.

As for Wolff Springs, highly recommend them. I have a Wolff in my 1911.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The stock 5.5 lb. - I've played around with the lighter Wolff Springs in my Glocks when I used to compete in PPC. After a few hundred rds I would eventually get light strikes, even using the softest Federal pistol primers.

My unscientific #2 pencil test: drop a pencil with a good eraser down the barrel of an unloaded (of course) pistol. Dry fire with barrel slightly elevated, a stock Glock will get the pencil out of the barrel (you're good) some will launch it a foot, that's a bonus. My stock PPS launched the pencil about 4 feet!! Houston we have a problem. Never saw that before.

I removed that spring and replaced with a stock Glock striker spring. Still launches a pencil about a foot and no light strikes thru 500 rds. Much improved trigger. Now, if someone donates their stock PPS spring I'll have 2 and I'll be able to do a lift kit on my Ram truck. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The stock 5.5 lb. - I've played around with the lighter Wolff Springs in my Glocks when I used to compete in PPC. After a few hundred rds I would eventually get light strikes, even using the softest Federal pistol primers.

My unscientific #2 pencil test: drop a pencil with a good eraser down the barrel of an unloaded (of course) pistol. Dry fire with barrel slightly elevated, a stock Glock will get the pencil out of the barrel (you're good) some will launch it a foot, that's a bonus. My stock PPS launched the pencil about 4 feet!! Houston we have a problem. Never saw that before.

I removed that spring and replaced with a stock Glock striker spring. Still launches a pencil about a foot and no light strikes thru 500 rds. Much improved trigger. Now, if someone donates their stock PPS spring I'll have 2 and I'll be able to do a lift kit on my Ram truck. :)
Have you found a need to also replace the recoil spring or plunger spring?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The recoil spring is fine as is. I don't recall if I snipped the plunger spring on the Walther. I have done that on a few Glocks and my Kahr PM40 just recently. Taking 1 or 2 coils off the plunger spring makes the tension about the same as the lighter spring that Wolff sells. Helps with the trigger pull a little bit. And the plunger still pops back out with plenty strength to do its job.

I've shot some European 9mm ammo known to have hard primers and never had any light strikes with the Glock striker spring. My carry ammo is Federal HST and Federal is supposed to have the softest primers so I'm not worried at all about reliability.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The recoil spring is fine as is. I don't recall if I snipped the plunger spring on the Walther. I have done that on a few Glocks and my Kahr PM40 just recently. Taking 1 or 2 coils off the plunger spring makes the tension about the same as the lighter spring that Wolff sells. Helps with the trigger pull a little bit. And the plunger still pops back out with plenty strength to do its job.

I've shot some European 9mm ammo known to have hard primers and never had any light strikes with the Glock striker spring. My carry ammo is Federal HST and Federal is supposed to have the softest primers so I'm not worried at all about reliability.
I mostly use Winchester white box for range... will probably use Hornady critical defense for hollow point. Do you think these would be cause for concern? I think I’ll leave plunger spring alone for right now then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know what primers Hornady uses in their ammo but I don't think they make their own. The hardest American made pistol primers are CCI so try some Blazer or Speer FMJ to test your striker spring. S&B (Sellier & Belloit) from Europe are pretty tough to ignite as well. And of course test some of your actual carry ammo to ensure it will feed and function okay.

I only reload 40 cal for most of my pistols. The only 9mm I own is my M2 PPS so these days I buy whatever 9mm ammo I can find at a good price. I even put a few boxes of the steel case Russian Tulammo thru the PPS with no problems. Someday 9mm ammo will be plentiful and cheap again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm look at the Glock striker springs now. The standard striker spring is 5.5 lb. Which weight would you recommend for 100% reliability?
Hmmm... I was under the impression that the standard Glock striker spring was rated at 6 lbs., and that's what has worked with no problems in my PPS thus far. Per my previous post, it was able to touch off magnum primers with complete reliability too.

My recommendation would be to stick with a standard Glock striker spring, whether it be 6 or 5.5 lbs. I can't vouch for whether or not a lighter spring will work since I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

However, if you're going to carry your PPS, you might want to keep it in its factory stock condition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmmm... I was under the impression that the standard Glock striker spring was rated at 6 lbs., and that's what has worked with no problems in my PPS thus far. Per my previous post, it was able to touch off magnum primers with complete reliability too.

My recommendation would be to stick with a standard Glock striker spring, whether it be 6 or 5.5 lbs. I can't vouch for whether or not a lighter spring will work since I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

However, if you're going to carry your PPS, you might want to keep it in its factory stock condition.
well fart. I googled searched and 5.5 is standard. They’re extra powered is the 6. I figured the 5.5 would work. I might swap to the 6 just for peace of mind.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts