Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to go to the range tonight with my new QA .40. I am probably preaching to the choir on this. My buddy brought his Glock 22 .40. I know there is a glock owner who may read this and disagree.

My Impressions
The trigger on the 99 seems a bit heavier, similar to a military type trigger (like there is a little play before the hard pull). The Glock does not feel this way. Get past that and the 99 still seems smoother. Tie
Shooting or pulling the glock trigger rubs my trigger finger bad. The P99 is solid and doesn't jump around. Winner = P99
The 99 fits like a glove. The G22 has to much of an aggressive slant to the grip and I can't wrap my hand around it( I seem to have to hold the gun away from my palm for a good grip). Winner = P99
Slide lock on the 22 is terrible. Small and hard to operate as far as chambering a round. The P99 is big and easy to work. Winner = P99
Take down slide release is much nicer on the P99 especially since it can be decocked and you don't have to hold the trigger down to release the slide. Also the G22 take down button is too small. Winner = P99
Magazine release on the P99 is great. A little different than most guns, but use your trigger finger and it works like a charm. The glock has a small button and is not as smooth. Winner = P99
Grouping using same ammo was good on both guns. Tie
I like the Glock sights. P99 is good and I am more used to these type, but I tend to have a harder time centering the front sight between the rear. Need more practice. My buddy actually liked the P99 sights better and shot better. I say its a tie, until I get more practice......Any Hints???
Looks goes to the P99. The Glock looks like a lego block. P99 has smooth lines. Winner = P99

Overall, I think the P99 wins. I have a lot of practice to get efficient with the gun. The fit and finish of both guns is pretty good, but the P99 just feels better. I am so happy I bought this gun. I am sorry for going on and on. Walther should really try to do a better job of promoting this gun.

Last. That friend of mine with the glock, well I think he may be selling it soon. P99 wins the heart of another Glock Jock!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Does your buddy have a 3.5 pound disconnect in his trigger group? In all honesty I bought a G22 back in the day when I wanted a beater gun. It still serves its purpose just fine, and takes several trips to the river. Although if you look at what causes a Glock(or any pistol) KB you will see why I like the Walther over the Glock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is too technical for this rookie! You might have to explain better for me if you would..Trigger group, KB???

·
Registered
39 Posts
While I'm no "Glock hater" I had a Glock 22 and a Glock 35 with the 3.5 disconnect - accurate and reliable guns but uncomfortable to shoot for long periods - I dislike the blocky grip and the way the trigger face translates slap to the finger - minor annoyances but one's I've never experienced with my Sigs, nor the Walthers I've tested....mostly just personal preference I guess.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Non-fully supported chamber on the Glock...unless they changed it....
Even in the P99 my .40 ammo seems to bulge a little at the bottom after shooting. I haven't actually checked to see how far the round goes in but it seems there is at least some room for the round to expand near the rim. Anyone else see this?

I think one of the practical things the P99 has over any Glock is that the slide isn't square. It's tapered. Anyone who's tried to hide a pistol on their body knows the benefit of that. Even if the thickness is the same (not sure about that one) the tapered slide takes up less room and hides better. Oh and while the magazines are more expensive they are thinner for the same number of rounds because of the sheet steel construction.

Nothing against Glocks but the P99 clearly benefited from a few more years of development and consequent refinement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with either gun. But I went the 9mm route. I decided on a Walther P99, but when starting out on my search I was leaning towards the Glock 19. I'm sure glad I found the P99.

Yesterday I rented a Glock 19 and put 100 round through it and my Walther. While both were good, I preferred the Walther for its easy of use, stability, action, and looks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Let me add that a major advantage of the Glock is that it's the Volks-gun. Every holster is available for Glocks. A larger selection of aftermarket sights and other parts etc. I want a set of tritium-fiber optic sights and you can't get them for the P99. So if you're into accessorizing your guns, Glock is the kind to get.

·
Registered
162 Posts
24/7 Tritium Sights

Nocturnal

You might want to look at XS sight systems. They do have the 24/7 Big Dot Express Set for S&W 99 & Walther P99. I think the stock # is SW-0009A-5.

I have them on my P99c 9MM. I'm very happy with them. They came on a gun I purchased from a private party and I'm thinking of puting on my P99 DA/SA 40 S&W.

WWW.XSSIGHTS.COM

·
Registered
539 Posts
Martini13,

thanks for that tip. I had heard of these sights but didn't think they were available for the P99. They sure are spendy compared to some other night sights but that big front sight may be just the ticket for IDPA matches and 'real life' shootouts.

Mods and Fire717, sorry for taking the thread of course. I will start a new thread on this subject if I have any other questions.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Look up Glock KB for details its the unsupported chamber issue as stated above.

HK and even SIG get that bulge. It just doesn't seem to be as bad as the Glock in my ohh so humble opinion. At least the few 40s (and the P99 G22 I own) I have taken a look at.

As for the Volks-gun, I agree but the issue is you can get a bag of useless shit for the Glock and turn it into a peacemeal 1911 in about 5 minutes. It would be nice to see Walther do a better job and market things, then get more stuff out. On that note alot of stuff is out for the walther but you have to contact companies directly, pay more, or look for SW99

·
Registered
169 Posts
i just bought a glock27 until the PPS .40 comes out.anyone have any input on this handgun?anything i should know,advice?thnx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts