Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everyone glad they bought their P-22, or after using it for awhile have second thoughts?

TommyR

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
OK then, I'll go first.

We bought a P-22 Target model with the extended barrel in February and have put about 500 rounds through it. Started out by testing it with high-velocity, medium-velocity, and sub-sonic ammo. Sub-sonic has not enough punch to cycle the action properly. High and medium work great.
The gun is accurate to the limits of our own ability to shoot straight.
Cleaning and lubing is as easy as any gun we have except the PP.
Re-assembly can get a bit tricky requiring a plastic guide-rod-re-insertion rod included with the new gun.
I prefer the P-22 safety which does not drop the hammer. I'm always a bit circumspect when using the hammer-drop safeties on my PP and P-38; you just never know....:eek:
All-in-all it is a fine little pistol and we just might spring an extra $110 to get the short-barrel conversion kit just in case the wife wants to carry it.;)

Russell

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love it. I use only CCI velocitors or Stinger. I have found that the cheaper ammo brands either FTF or FTE.

When I have light clothing on, I do use it for CCW.

I know it doesn't have "knock down power" like a 40 or 45 would, but its better than nothing.

Ive put over 500 rounds through mine, and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Love it!

Dont love the stabilizer and wish that I had kept the money I spent on the 5" setup.

I have only about 1500 rounds down the pipe and no failures yet. Mine cycle's excellently on CCI MiniMags and Federal AutoMatch (325 rnd bulk pak) cartridges.

My only second thought is that I wish that I had also bought a black one, or a green one, or now... a desert camo...!

My only regret is that they dont make something similiar in a 9mm or .40SW.

lc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well...I was just being clever, acting like I didnt know there was a p99. I really love the P22.

But...I do wish that the P99 had a hammer. Decockers and hammerless pistols both make me uncomfortable. Now a decocker on a pistol that will still let me ease the hammer down is good. I guess that I just need to modernize myself.

lc

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Being an old cowboy shooter, I was use to a two-gun set up. When I first saw the P22 some years back I said, "ah, heck" and bought two of them. They were early models with a few bugs in them but once I got them taken carry of, I haven't had a bit of a problem with either of them. Both the 3.5 in black, one with hiviz sights the other with a laser. The are not tact drivers but for what they are they are accurate enough for me....they are a blast to shoot and great to break in new shooters. Have no regrets or second thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love it, but

I purchased the p22 5in target. The stabilizer (required for the longer barrel) keeps coming loose. If I had to do it again I would purchase the shorter 3.5 in barrel. Its a fun pistol but I wouldn't count on tight groups. Its still a blast and fun for newbies! Quite Loud for a 22 :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being an old cowboy shooter, I was use to a two-gun set up. When I first saw the P22 some years back I said, "ah, heck" and bought two of them. They were early models with a few bugs in them but once I got them taken carry of, I haven't had a bit of a problem with either of them. Both the 3.5 in black, one with hiviz sights the other with a laser. The are not tact drivers but for what they are they are accurate enough for me....they are a blast to shoot and great to break in new shooters. Have no regrets or second thoughts.
Hi Jake:

What exactly is a hiviz sight? Got a picture / website?

-TommyR

·
Registered
18 Posts
HiViz front sight is a "...light gathering fiber optic LitePipe (TM) placed into a base (CNC precision machined steel base) and overmolded with an optical grade of clear Lexan (TM)." It, "...gives you quick sight acquisition, under bright sun, dense clouds, late evening light and indoor lighting."

It is just a high visability front sight. Just google "hiviz p22" and you will find that they are sold many different places. The following link is just one of the many places that carry these.

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WAWM0099HV

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HiViz front sight is a "...light gathering fiber optic LitePipe (TM) placed into a base (CNC precision machined steel base) and overmolded with an optical grade of clear Lexan (TM)." It, "...gives you quick sight acquisition, under bright sun, dense clouds, late evening light and indoor lighting."

It is just a high visability front sight. Just google "hiviz p22" and you will find that they are sold many different places. The following link is just one of the many places that carry these.

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WAWM0099HV
OK -- will do.

thanks

TommyR

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am !

I bought mine about a year ago with both barrels. put the short one on and never change it. I love the size and feel of it. I use Remington Subsonics with no problem at all! If I shoot to much before cleaning - It stops firing - I claen it and works like brand new again. I killed about 20 sume Raccons and 4 groundhogs with it so far. Mine is all black - I think is extremly fun to shoot. I'd buy another one in a heart beat!:) ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought mine about a year ago with both barrels. put the short one on and never change it. I love the size and feel of it. I use Remington Subsonics with no problem at all! If I shoot to much before cleaning - It stops firing - I claen it and works like brand new again. I killed about 20 sume Raccons and 4 groundhogs with it so far. Mine is all black - I think is extremly fun to shoot. I'd buy another one in a heart beat!:) ;)
Is there a big difference in the report using the Remington Subsonics vs. MiniMag?

-TommyR

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
We will have to try the Remington sub-sonic ammo. The CCI I tried did not cycle well at first, then I had to rack it every shot the second time out. It took quite awhile to use up 100 rounds of the stuff.:(

Russell

·
Registered
80 Posts
just bought a used one to replace one that was stolen out of the car about 6 months ago. (the stolen one was purchased new, came with the factory laser and i had just gotten the threaded barrel adapter earlier that day!) i like them, good plinking gun and also good for a beginner. took my daughter to the range for the first time and let her get started with the p22. now if i can just find an interarms p99 for a good price...

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought our P22 for my wife so we could start shooting together at the club I belong to. She has some physical limitations as far as hand strength and has trouble holding large guns up for very long. The grip size and total weight of the P22 is ideal for her but we both are disappointed with the heavy and very long trigger pull. I was kind of happy at first to find a gun that fit her so well for a good price ($309 with the laser sight) with the legendary Walther name on it. Due to it's size and weight it would make a good get-away carry gun (.22 caliber keeping someone's head down long enough for me to "get-away").

IMHO I feel sorry for the younger shooter for whom the P22 represents a "good gun". Price point wise, we used to get a much better gun for the equivalent amount of money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts