Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.......

I heard of the demise of P99 production and decided it was time to get one.

Being the pretentious hipster d-bag that I am, I bought a first generation through GB'r.

Now........ I heard sometime ago that the first gens were fragile in some respect (can't remember what). Is that the case, or can I shoot the daylights out of this thing like I want?

I'll post pics when I get it!

· Registered
3,902 Posts
The places that have them listed but out of stock are listing for $711 to $759
I've noticed many retailers lower the prices on items NLA (no longer available) or NLIS (no longer in stock), only to up the price once the items become available.

This is a tactic to get consumers to return to their website due to the perceived 'great prices'.

I experienced this while searching for a few months in my attempt to purchase my AR-10 (POF Mod #01221). The MSRP set by POF was around $2.6k.

While there was NO shortage of retailers showing a purchase price under $2k, there WAS a 100% shortage of the Mod.01221 rifle at these retailers. I dug in deeper (via several contacts at a few local FFLs, and an owner who had recently purchased one), and discovered that at least two of these retailers had sold the last few Mod.01221s near FULL RETAIL PRICE.

Two elephants for a nickel is a good deal.
If you need two elephants, have a nickel, AND they're 'in stock'. 😁

With NIB 2022 production P99ASs selling in the $700~$750 range, I would be amazed if nearly all of 'Final Edition' P99s don't sell in the $825~$900 range.

One thing's for sure, a P99AS FE will be purchased, cleaned/oiled, and dropped in my safe without getting fired by me.

Do it for the children.....and grandchildren. 😄

· Registered
220 Posts
I've noticed many retailers lower the prices on items NLA (no longer available) or NLIS (no longer in stock), only to up the price once the items become available.

This is a tactic to get consumers to return to their website due to the perceived 'great prices'.
I'm sure they do that. There is no honor in retail anymore, and definitely not in online retail.

· Registered
30 Posts
Is it a German thing...... discontinuing the best stuff. Im a BMW nut, and will not buy a Bimmer newer than 2010..... They have stopped doing the things that make them great and distinct. Now I spend lots of $$ to keeping the old ones like new. Now walther will be dropping the P99, the only gun with the AS trigger...... Noooooo.

· Registered
3,902 Posts
Is it a German thing...... discontinuing the best stuff. Im a BMW nut, and will not buy a Bimmer newer than 2010..... They have stopped doing the things that make them great and distinct. Now I spend lots of $$ to keeping the old ones like new. Now walther will be dropping the P99, the only gun with the AS trigger...... Noooooo.
👍
Same here. I keep a pair of mid 2000s running good.
The '03 X5 V8 sport pkg has over 220k miles.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

I spent six hour doing an interior detail on it a few weeks ago.
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Car seat cover

· Registered
7,530 Posts
Now........ I heard sometime ago that the first gens were fragile in some respect (can't remember what). Is that the case, or can I shoot the daylights out of this thing like I want?
I wouldn't call the 1st gen pistols "fragile", but be careful with reassembly.

When inserting the slide back onto the frame, it is possible to impact the back of the slide into the sear housing above the trigger bar. In the 1st gen pistols, the sear housing with the squared-off corner could get impacted enough to cause a crack on the side of the pin that goes through the sear housing and determines how high or low the trigger bar sits. A crack there would cause the pin to fall out, and then the pistol would no longer function in DA mode (it would still function in AS and SA trigger modes).

The issue above was never widespread, but it wasn't exactly unheard of either. I carried and shot my 1st gen P99 for years without knowing about this issue, and I'm sure I impacted this section of the sear housing multiple times, being that I was shooting somewhere around 600 rounds a month back then, mostly through the P99. The later sear housing design has a tapered edge there to help guide the slide off to the side if impacted, and Walther replaced the pin system to an adjustable trigger bar design that used a screw there instead.

Other than that, shoot as many rounds as possible through the pistol. If the sear housing breaks, the newer design can be used to replace it. I've interacted with multiple 99-series armorers who worked on pistols with tens of thousands of rounds through them. Mostly SW99 pistols, but I've never heard any of them call the design "fragile".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts