Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My very first post (so go easy on me :))....I just ordered a new P99 compact in .40SW and it should arrive later this week. My dealer has a 9mm in stock but because I reload .40 like the extra "oomph" of the .40, that's what I decided to go with. I just want to make sure there are no "issues" with the .40 (haven't heard any) and the odds are in my favor for getting a reliable weapon. Much thanks.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The 9mm P99c is pretty snappy for a 9mm. Some do like their P99c in 40 cal, but I have read quite a few posts over the years from people who couldn't handle it and ended up selling it.

Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just want to make sure there are no "issues" with the .40 (haven't heard any) and the odds are in my favor for getting a reliable weapon. Much thanks.
Haven't heard of any so you should be good to go. Like Shipwreck said let us know what you think...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am primarily concerned about any reliability, i.e., feed issues. Since I reload I can power my rounds up, down, and in the middle. I tend to load them just enough to cycle the slide and provide good accuracy. I don't think the snappiness will be an issue. I already have a Glock 27 and never found it to be unmanageable with factory rounds. Is the P99 compact 40 more of a handful than the Glock 27? As a matter of fact, I converted my Glock 27 to .357 SIG and I don't have a problem with that caliber either as far as recoil and the ability to get back on target quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
kraigster... I'm very curious... does the P99C feel as soft as the M&P 40C when shooting? How does it feel compared to your Glock 23?

Personally, I only shoot 180 gr. in my forties because I subscribe to the "heavy-for-caliber" school of thought in defense ammo choices and, fortunately, find 180 gr. in forty to be quite comfortable to shoot (not "snappy")... much nicer than most 165's which I find to be a bit unpleasantly snappy.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kraigster... I'm very curious... does the P99C feel as soft as the M&P 40C when shooting? How does it feel compared to your Glock 23?

Personally, I only shoot 180 gr. in my forties because I subscribe to the "heavy-for-caliber" school of thought in defense ammo choices and, fortunately, find 180 gr. in forty to be quite comfortable to shoot (not "snappy")... much nicer than most 165's which I find to be a bit unpleasantly snappy.
Don, felt recoil is subjective but in my opinion, I find the comfort level to be comparable between the Walter and the M&P. I have fired both 165 and 180 grain bullets out of the Walther - reloads and factory and find both to be manageable. Again, subjective but I find the Walther feels a bit more solid but I guess the thing that really impresses me, is the "synergy" between the various parts: The mag release has what I consider to be ideal tension although its placement takes some getting used to. All in all, this is a gun that has been around for a while, was critically tested before introduction, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no systemic/repetitive issues with any one part or parts.

Compared to the Glock 27, the P99 compact has far better ergonomics (I have the small grip panel installed) and the DA/SA AS trigger does (all things being equal) add an extra element of safety though I am a firm believer that you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Nevertheless as we all know, "stuff" happens.

I like the P99c so much, I am seriously thinking of getting a full size now in 9mm.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Don, you were asking for a comparison between the P99c and the G23 not the G27 (I have both). Keep in mind the P99c is a bit smaller in size vs. the G23. A fairer comparison would be between the full size P99 and the G23 but to answer your question, I do not notice a whole lot of difference between the P99c (compact) and my G23. Not enough anyway to say, "Wow!" What a difference!"

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 9mm P99c is pretty snappy for a 9mm. Some do like their P99c in 40 cal, but I have read quite a few posts over the years from people who couldn't handle it and ended up selling it.

Let us know what you think.
actually i think the p99 .40 is pretty snappy as well. One of the reasons I believe the P99 didn't get as popular as other walthers was because it didn't have have that crisp firm recoil. It's not that the pistol has a strong recoil, but more of a rubbery unnatural feel for a pistol.

One of the reasons probably is it is very light and small, and has easy moving parts. It is not a hard recoil like you feel from shooting a bigger caliber, but it seems perhaps the slide action may be a tad longer than usual, the subsequent follow up shots end up seemingly longer than other pistols of it's class.

Don't get me wrong I like the P99 and am still acquiring the different models for collection, it's just has a different recoil feel. The owner would have to decide whether they like to get used to it or not. Me personally I did because I like the P99 for what it is.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually i think the p99 .40 is pretty snappy as well. One of the reasons I believe the P99 didn't get as popular as other walthers was because it didn't have have that crisp firm recoil. It's not that the pistol has a strong recoil, but more of a rubbery unnatural feel for a pistol.

One of the reasons probably is it is very light and small, and has easy moving parts. It is not a hard recoil like you feel from shooting a bigger caliber, but it seems perhaps the slide action may be a tad longer than usual, the subsequent follow up shots end up seemingly longer than other pistols of it's class.

Don't get me wrong I like the P99 and am still acquiring the different models for collection, it's just has a different recoil feel. The owner would have to decide whether they like to get used to it or not. Me personally I did because I like the P99 for what it is.
I think the degree of felt "snappiness" is somewhat subjective. Some feel it more than others and I guess because I tend to shoot light reloads (of my making), I don't find it objectionable at all. Then again, the .40SW is a snappy round all things being equal. In my case, even with factory .40SW rounds, I do not have a problem and my follow-up shots are quick. Keep in mind too with practice comes proficiency and all things are relative. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the degree of felt "snappiness" is somewhat subjective. :)
you're definitely right about that, but for some reason there still is something i feel different about the recoil of the p99 series compared to other pistols of the same size either because of it being very light and sleek to the hand in combination with the mechanicals being somewhat different. I wasn't referring to the .40 round being snappy but the P99 itself as he mentioned the 9mm felt snappy I think they both do. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you're definitely right about that, but for some reason there still is something i feel different about the recoil of the p99 series compared to other pistols of the same size either because of it being very light and sleek to the hand in combination with the mechanicals being somewhat different. I wasn't referring to the .40 round being snappy but the P99 itself as he mentioned the 9mm felt snappy I think they both do. :)
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts between the Glock 27 and the Walther P99c in .40. Now there is a case where I do feel a substantive difference in felt recoil, the Glock being the heavier kicker. But what do I know, I think all my senses have been dulled over the years. ;) I go for the strongest cigars and the spiciest food. My taste buds along with the my body parts must be beaten beyond repair to the point where I don't feel "nuttin" anymore. I think it has something to do with the '60s. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I go for the strongest cigars and the spiciest food. My taste buds along with the my body parts must be beaten beyond repair to the point where I don't feel "nuttin" anymore. I think it has something to do with the '60s. :D
we are both two kinds alike. I had to quit both though as the body can't take it as much as it could before.

In response to what I think between the G27 and the P99C again i think the glock feels more solid with same umph (loud bang and force), while the P99 seems to have something that attempts to supress recoil and giving it that rubbery feeling. Almost like shooting those video arcade shooting games that have a spring recoil to make it feel real, only this one has a real bang and an actual kick.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the nice things about reloading is that you can tailor your loads to bring out the best in your weapon. I load my rounds light - just enough to ensure cycling and good accuracy. I highly recommend reloading for anyone who likes to shoot a lot and enjoys a bit of safe experimentation. If you shoot a couple hundred rounds a week, your press/components will pay for itself before you know it. I use inexpensive Rainier copper coated 165 grain bullets and Hercules Blue Dot powder. It cost me a fraction of what it would to shoot factory - even cheap Blazer.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am one of those folks who believe a slip on grip is a last resort but I have found in the case of the P99c .40 that the Lone Wolf (small size) does make a difference in controlling the weapon. Folks might want to try it out. It's price certainly won't break the bank. You can order directly from the LW website.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reloading is a must for me too! Especially in .40. Nothing better than being able to tailor make your loads. In forty I like the 180 gr. Xtreme copper plated bullet over 6.9 gr. of PowerPistol for practice. I also use 6.9 gr. of PP with 180 gr. Gold Dots - for defense use.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reloading is a must for me too! Especially in .40. Nothing better than being able to tailor make your loads. In forty I like the 180 gr. Xtreme copper plated bullet over 6.9 gr. of PowerPistol for practice. I also use 6.9 gr. of PP with 180 gr. Gold Dots - for defense use.
Right Don. Reloaders are always a little surprised when they read/hear complaints about the snappiness and recoil of the .40 SW because they can load a perfect practice round with accuracy and low recoil interspersed with firing factory rounds, the latter keeps you proficient in a worst case scenario (practice with what you carry).

I have always liked Blue Dot powder for the extreme muzzle flash (fun as hell at the range) and it's inherent accuracy. Plus, it leaves no unburned powder in the gun like some of the Accurate Arms powders. I am also fond of Winchester 231 for .40 SW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you tried Power Pistol? Verrry clean burning and has lower pressure at a given velocity than most other powders. Really great stuff, especially for forty where pressures are bordering on max (with defense loadings) to begin with. And if you like to have flash, you'll get plenty of it with PP.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried Power Pistol? Verrry clean burning and has lower pressure at a given velocity than most other powders. Really great stuff, especially for forty where pressures are bordering on max (with defense loadings) to begin with. And if you like to have flash, you'll get plenty of it with PP.
Don, to be honest with you, I never heard of Power Pistol. Who makes it? I'll look for it at the next gun show. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Power Pistol is a popular powder with autoloader shooters... Google it and you'll see why.
If you say it is, there is no need to go further. Where can I get reloading data for it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts