Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am geting ready to complete a trade and obtain an all German made P99 in 9mm. I have a question. The picture I got showed this gun to have what looks to be a titanuim or stainless frame. Do any of the all German P99's have that as an option? I cant see the right side of the slide to look for the "eagle over N" but the left side shows: Walther and P99 which is NOT laser engraved.

Just curious if I can get some advice! Thanks!!!

Patrick

·
Registered
19 Posts
All P99 9mm pistols are German made. Anybody telling you otherwise and acting like the pistol they're selling is special is pulling your chain. Some of the early P99 .40 S&W pistols were partially made with S&W parts (slide and barrel I think) and assembled in the U.S.

No P99's have been made with stainless steel or titanium frames. All of the frames are polymer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AH! I meant the SLIDE looks to be titanium...not the frame...sorry.
But that sounds right, then? P99 9mm german made and the slide is titanium?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have any thoughts on Walthers Customer Service? Is there a seperate service office? Like is there sperate service overseas and in the US? Just curious.

As you can tell not too terribley familiar with Walthers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thats a P99 QA Titanium - only the QA trigger option is availible in Titanium I belive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Patrick,

Customer service for the Walther is through Smith & Wesson. You'll also have Smith & Wesson stamped on the right side of your slide, due to importing laws. As far as I can tell, S&W's customer service with the Walther line has been stellar.

Oh, and be prepared...once you get a P99 you're hooked for life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok I picked it up. The slide is marked on the right with "Interarms Alexandria, VA". It does not say Smith & Wesson. Is this bad? The serial number is 0172XX. It is in the Walther Box with manual and extra mag plus a yellow pin tool, 3 extra front sights it seems, and a tiny L-shaped pin tool or something.

The slide looks like it is titanium coated but it does not say that. The left side of the slide shows "Walther" & "P99" but it is not laser etched. I was trying to figure how to post a pic.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
go to www.photobucket.com

it is free, you download your pic there, and when you post here you put the address shown under your thumbnail picture on photobucket. I think there will be three addresses under your picture, use the bottom one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I gave it back...it had a cracked frame. The guy is going to go thru Walther to see about a replacement so the trade is on hold until then...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, you gave it back, but I should've been more clear earlier.

Interarms was the first importer for the Walther, I believe. Early models would be stamped with their name. After that, there was a fairly short period where they were stamped with "Walther USA". Nowadays, they're stamped with S&W markings.

The Interarms/Walther USA stamped models tend to be a little more valued within the community, but only because there seem to be a lot of folks who don't want S&W markings. The gun is still all German.

Also, if your friend contacts S&W about that cracked frame, they'll likely take care of it (probably free of charge.) I've heard stories of people who actually sent checks, only to get their check PLUS new/repaired P99 back in the mail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, I could also tell from the trigger that it was an earlier model from some research I did. Well, I am by no means turned off to the P99 and once this guy is done with S&W well plan to continue our deal. Hopefully it will be for a new gun or atleast well replaced.

I appreciate everyones advice!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jpa1701 @ Dec. 12 2005,22:29)]well I gave it back...it had a cracked frame. The guy is going to go thru Walther to see about a replacement so the trade is on hold until then...
I'd like to thank you for posting this. It kept me from making the mistake of trading my nice Franchi shotgun for this exact same pistol. As it turned out the pistol (which was advertised as being LNIB with less than 100rds fired) has apparently had the hell shot out of it. It has a crack in the frame beneath the guide rod. The folks at Walther (S&W) stated to me that that is either an indication of a manufacturing flaw or a lot of use, and that if it is the latter they typically end up repairing the fire control system along with the frame repair.

I find it particularly damning that after you informed him of the crack, the seller still tried to pass off the pistol as LNIB, and made no effort to inform me of the true condition. Fortunately I stumbled upon your post. Previous to that I was raring to go for this trade.

This is one of the values of these bulletin boards. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BlakeTyner @ Dec. 12 2005,23:22)]Well, you gave it back, but I should've been more clear earlier.

Interarms was the first importer for the Walther, I believe. Early models would be stamped with their name. After that, there was a fairly short period where they were stamped with "Walther USA". Nowadays, they're stamped with S&W markings.

The Interarms/Walther USA stamped models tend to be a little more valued within the community, but only because there seem to be a lot of folks who don't want S&W markings. The gun is still all German.

Also, if your friend contacts S&W about that cracked frame, they'll likely take care of it (probably free of charge.) I've heard stories of people who actually sent checks, only to get their check PLUS new/repaired P99 back in the mail.
So even if the slide has the Smith & Wesson markings on it, it is still 100% german made? (ie. frame, slide, everything) If so, then S&W is just an importer?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes Sir, that is what we are saying.

James

·
Registered
30 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (extremist @ Jan. 08 2006,07:18)]Yes Sir, that is what we are saying.

James
Phew! I practically froze when i saw the close-up pics of the 2004 P99 9mm shown on this forum with the dreaded S&W markings on it!

Thanks for clearing that up once and for all.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's right hobbes. Look for an Eagle over N proof marking on the slide, barrel and frame. These are German proof marks. By Federal law, any gun imported into the country has to have the improters markings on it. The only official importers of Walthers into this country as far as I know are S&W and Earls Repair Service. Earls guns are marked with a very obscure ERS I belive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts