Walther Forums banner

Is the Eagle N, Just a Nitro Proof or also a Military Acceptance Mark In WW2 Germany?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I just acquired a Walther Model PP in 7.65 cal. The only proof marks I have found are on the barrel and slide both are Eagle over N (Nitro Proof). From what I understand this gun was most likely made wartime production between 1940-1945 as a commercial Model PP. Serial Number is 326424P. All matching and in 99% condition. After filed stripping, still had grease throughout the inside of the gun even behind the grips..... No Army Waffenamt visible.

OK here are my questions

Is the "Eagle N" a military acceptance marking? As stated on Page 2150 of 38th edition Blue Book of Gun Values? (No weapons were exported during the war}

What year was the gun actually made?

I am attaching pictures of both sides of the gun

Thanks in advance:

Attachments

Premium Member
Is the "Eagle N" a military acceptance marking?
Welcome to the forum. The E/N is a commercial proof mark. It was used from 1940 to around 2012. It could have been a private purchase by a soldier but there's no way to know. You've got a good looking rig though. Have you shot it ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redcat 94:

I have not shot it yet, I know the proof is termed the commercial Nitro Proof...However, after 1945 these were produced under the Manurhin franchise until much later, and then production picked up again for export circa 1963 forward, but, with I believe different serial number series. In any event, I am still trying to find out what month, and year produced.

This gun is clean as a pin, I have a Manurhin which is well worn, but shoots very well, the gentlemen I bought the Walther from came from his father's estate, and has been in storage, to the seller's knowledge only one clip has been shot through the gun by the seller.

Thanks

Premium Member
Your pistol is lacking the milled step at the base of the trigger guard. According to Dieter Marschall's book the step was omitted on the PP starting in January 1942 starting around serial number 232 200P with production ending in April 1945 around serial number 397 000P.

I would guess late 1944 or very early 1945 for yours. I don't know that you can narrow it down much further than that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts