Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what a 1974 serial # 188851 that appears factory fired only, has original plastic box, Manual, Factory Serial Numbered Test Target, Interarms Safety Warning Booklet, and two factory magazines would be valued at? I have a chance to buy this gun from a friend and would like to know what its worth? Thanks and any help would be great..

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Forgot to add that is Blued, mint and of Collector Quality, and is .380 caliber..Thanks
Sorry...gotta ask...given that you've already said it's NIB, Blued, mint, and .380...what makes it "collector quality?"

I'm sure it's a fine pistol...but it sounds like a standard imported German PPK/S. Do people collect these things? ;)

Milspec
-----------------------
My latest toys:

Walther PP - E/WaA359. Late 1944 production. Excellent quality w/wartime finish & original wood grips. :)

S&W Walther PPK/S - Late 2004 production. Last ditch quality w/wartime finish & original plastic grips. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
What makes this one unique is that it just sold on Gunbroker for $816.12 -- a Joe*Deb gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92363535

I guess he needed our permission to buy it...:rolleyes:
He said he had a chance to "buy it from a friend"...I guess Joe*Deb is his friend....

But it does illustrate that people read only what they want to and ignore the qualifiers. kbenn said twice that it was "mint", but that's not what Joe*Deb wrote. He said it was "excellent TO mint". Now that may not be much of a difference, but I would not have characterized that gun as "mint" or even approaching it (though I am not sure what that term means when cavalierly misapplied to things other than coins). That gun showed a good bit of muzzle and high edge blue wear in the photos, maybe even a little browning or freckling on the gripstraps. At that price it was a fair value, but IMO not a crash-down-the door bargain. Average condition commands average price; it is that very last increment of pristine condition that attracts a disproportionately high price.

Just a reflection: The one I sold two years ago for just under $1,000 literally could not be told from new, and today, with rapidly escalating collector prices for vintage German Walthers, it probably would command a good bit more. That's not to say that every German PPK/s one comes across is worth a premium, but... hey, why am I fighting it?

Never mind.

M

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow you guys are good..so I used the ole' "I have a friend" line. :cool: I guess you guys have more time on your hands than I expected, like cross-reference my screen names..I'm impressed!!! But anyways thanks for all your information and I was just wanting to see if I got the gun for a half way decent price, always wanted an original Walther, just have a S&W one. Not trying to make a killing or anything just don't want to know I got taken either.:confused:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This is completely irrelevant but look at pic #15;
See the reflection on the front of the slide?

Is that Joe or Deb?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bid on the same gun but dropped out after it passed $700. You should be pretty pleased with your purchase - I've purchased three or four guns from Joe and I've been satisfied each time, although none of the guns I got were what I'd consider "mint".

Now the P5 I purchased from Simpson Ltd. recently... it is a beauty and it IS mint ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is completely irrelevant but look at pic #15;
See the reflection on the front of the slide?

Is that Joe or Deb?
Off topic I know, but it is a big thing for people to post auctions on Ebay for some random item, but in the picture somewhere they will be naked in the reflection. I can't recall the name of another site that posts these pictures, but I have seen several where you see some naked guy like in the reflection of the item.

May start showing up on other sights as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P88 4 ME...all kidding aside is this a nice gun or not? I just wanted a "real" Walther and this seemed like a nice one, you seem to know a littel about them so what do you think? Already have a Smith, have a german and am looking for a Interarms...Also, would you shoot it or not? Thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well, this one is German Interarms and looks really good to me.
I'll soon have a USA Interarms for a shooter.:D

Russell

·
Registered
95 Posts
kbenn - I think you'll know when you see it whether it should be shot or put away. Like MGMike, I was concerned about what appeared to be edge/muzzle wear and browning on the backstrap, but all Joe told me when I emailed him was "no wear on gun". Like I said, Joe is a reputable seller so I'm betting you will receive a nice gun. Personally, I would take it to the range and shoot it from time to time just to enjoy it fully... unless a gun is truly NIB and unfired I think it is good to exercise them from time to time and have fun doing it. Otherwise you end up owning a safe full of very expensive paperweights:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Wow you guys are good..so I used the ole' "I have a friend" line. :cool: I guess you guys have more time on your hands than I expected, like cross-reference my screen names..I'm impressed!!! But anyways thanks for all your information and I was just wanting to see if I got the gun for a half way decent price, always wanted an original Walther, just have a S&W one. Not trying to make a killing or anything just don't want to know I got taken either.:confused:
HEHEH
I don't think any of us have too much time on our hands....
but a few of us take collecting serious and if you have enough info we put 1 =1 together and you see the results...
once you check gunbroker on a regular bases for specifict guns you will notice that it is a easy task which does not requiere all that much time....
Anyhow.. I think the price might have been a bit too rich for me but I think for the current market it was still in the ballpark

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... all Joe told me when I emailed him was "no wear on gun".
That was probably about as truthful as his suggestion that the gun had not been fired since it left the factory 34 years ago.

To his credit, however, his photos are sharp and they tell the real story.

I would not worry about shooting that gun, or carrying it if desired.

M

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I was wondering what a 1974 serial # 188851 that appears factory fired only, has original plastic box, Manual, Factory Serial Numbered Test Target, Interarms Safety Warning Booklet, and two factory magazines would be valued at? I have a chance to buy this gun from a friend and would like to know what its worth? Thanks and any help would be great..
OK..back to your original question...it's a nice gun. I think some of what looks like finish wear is just reflected light. To tell the truth I'm envious. I brought a PPK/S just like it home from Germany in 1981. I paid $250 and since I was stationed overseas I didn't need to have it import stamped. Unfortunately, things happen and I sold it... :(

Oh well...congratulations again...I'll go cry in my beer now... ;)

Milspec

·
Registered
95 Posts
kbenn - send us a follow-up report after you pick it up and look it over. I check Joe's auctions regularly and I'm curious to know how the finish is up close.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts