Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Munich last week I could almost swear that the Airport police were carrying P5's. Now I am alittle hesitant about walking up to a police officer from another country and asking him about his pistol...but if I get the chance on my way back to the US I will stop in Munich again. If I can I will ask them...but I thought by looking at the grip and mag that it was a P5...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they were carrying P5's. Let us know how it goes when you ask them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had an interesting trip to Eastern Europe and back. And yes I did ask what they carried. Now the guy I talked to was a police officer who was working the customs both. He had a different uniform than some of the police I saw just walking around the airport so I am not sure if they all carried the same gun or not but from what I can tell they all were the same. Anyway, the guy tells me its a Sig. And he unholsters it, removes the mag and holds it up for me to see. A P-229. Guy was really friendly. When he pulled it out you should have seen the look on the faces of some of the people behind me who were coming through customs. I was surpised to find out that he did not carry his gun with one in the chamber. Two officers work one station. The officer who speaks to travelers carries his gun without a round chambered. The other officer serves as a back up and carries his gun with a round in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I noticed the same thing....... while in Germany I looked at every cops holster...... and most of them were Sig's...... I thought that they still carried the P225...... but I guess one couldn't tell by the grip which Sig it is.......

Customs in Atlanta.... carried H&K's P2000......

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I emailed the Walther rep concerning the use of the P5 or P99 by German police. Here is his reply:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ken,

You are bad!!! How could you go to Germany without stopping by? I love to have visitors which I can show around! I live 40 miles west of Munich in a 2021 year old town.
Next time when you come over please let me know.

P5 / P99

Well here comes the long answer:
Like the U.S. Germany consists of different states. Germany got 16 states.
The system of purchasing guns for the Police is different from your system. German Police departments will not buy pistols individually. If the Police buy new equipment then it is always per state. For example in Bavaria (Munich is the capital city of Bavaria) the Police carries the H&K P7.
In Baden Württemberg (where both companies H&K and Walther are) the Police used to carry the P5, but 2 or 3 years ago they changed to H&K P2000.
Basically the German states carry either SIG Sauer, H&K or Walther.

Normally once a new model is bought the Police stays with it for a long time. So right now you will still find P5, P6 (= P225) and P7. So they have been in use for more than 25 years.

If one of the states of Germany decides to by a new pistol, they can not just by any pistol on the market. The pistol needs to comply with the specifications of the German Police. These specifications are federal. All states have to follow it.
So the new gun needs to comply with the specifications and it got to be tested according to the test specs of the German Police.
So far only H&K P2000, P30 and Walther P99 AS and P99 DAO Full Size and Compact passed this test.

One state (Rheinland Pfalz) still carries the P5, and Nordrhein Westfalen just introduced the P99 DAO (40,000 pieces).

Kind regards,
Peter

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Hi Jake..... send him back a mail and ask him why the Walther plant was on vacation while we were in Germany......
I was 20 minutes away from it......... they call it "Betriebsferien" which is like company vacation where the plant shuts down for 2 weeks or so that all can go on vacation on summerbreak with the kids.......
I wanted to visit.. but they were closed......just got the answeringmachine....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uncut,
You are from Germany and you would understand that more than me. I was in Ukraine for two weeks in August teaching school. No vacation for me. But my Russian translator took off for a week in the Crimea...did they invite me? Heck no, I had to work...go figure. Hopefully I will try again next year. Maybe visit Walther and the Houfbrauhouse...

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
let me know when.... I would love to hook up there....
I took the kids to see the grandparents.....so for me it was just a hanging out on the farm.... not much excitement....

anyhow.. it be fun to tour some places together.....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I plan on returning to Europe next year about this time and also making a trip out West sometime this spring. I haven't been out to Deadwood and the Black Hills for a few years and I think the Mrs. and I are going to spend a week to 10 days out there...maybe we can hook up?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Shoot me a Email.....
you know I am back in Utah

Anyhow.... if you come my direction let me know.... I make every effort to make it work.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In Baden Württemberg (where both companies H&K and Walther are) the Police used to carry the P5, but 2 or 3 years ago they changed to H&K P2000.
That explains why SOG has Walther P5's for sale!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts