Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering which one I should get and how to go about getting it.  To be honest I want the best walther for the lowest price I can get (don't we all). But I have some worries about getting one of the american made ones because I have heard some problems about them, and everyone talks about how great the all german ones are. What is the difference, price, and how do I go about making sure I get the right one? Just some of my questions. Thanks a lot.
Wagemage
"In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wagemage,
Are you talking about the SW99 and the P99? If so, there is an active thread on it right now.
The SW99 is the Smith and Wesson (American) copy of the German Walther P99.

SW99/P99 thread

I hope this helps

-Yoshi

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am talking about the P99 completely put to gether by walther. Some of the newer walthers in america were partially built by SW. And I have read that some people feel the walthers assembled in america are not as good as the ones that are completely assembled in germany. I was wondering which ones are better. I don't know if I should look for a older p99, an imported one, or if any of the new ones would suffice. Just looking for some help.
Wagemage
"In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've never heard of the later P99's being assembled or manufactured in the US. Some of the old .40's had barrels and slides made here but the 9mm's were always all german and last I knew all P99 varients are all german.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What german proof marks am I looking for. The walther ones?? Or am i just looking for the absence of smith and wesson proof marks. And is there really a difference. If I am looking for overall performance should I perfer an older german made p99 comapared to a SW newer one??? Just looking for the best gun out there.
Wagemage

·
Registered
263 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] What german proof marks am I looking for. The walther ones?? Or am i just looking for the absence of smith and wesson proof marks.  And is there really a difference. If I am looking for overall performance should I perfer an older german made p99 comapared to a SW newer one??? Just looking for the best gun out there.
Wagemage
Geman Proof Marks - FAQ

US/German Made P99 - FAQ

All 9mm P99s are 100% German made.  Only a few earlier .40 cal P99s were partly manufactured in the US.  

The Smith and Wesson markings on the P99 are merely importer marks.  Smith and Wesson imports and distributes them in the United States, but they do not have a part in the manufacturing process.  

Hope this helps!
-Yoshi

·
Registered
555 Posts
Guys, there's a rumor going around that the NEW version of the P99 is totally made in the USA, as part of the overall agreement between Walther and SW.

The question I asked of the person who told me this was "OK, then how do they get Ulm proof marks on an American made gun?"

Your thoughts? Any confirmation or denial of the current state of P99 country of origin?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts