Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I ordered a surplus West German Army pocket knife. These were issued starting in 1976 and were produced by several companies. The one I received is a Swiss made Victorinox.

It has a knife blade, saw, corkscrew, and awl. The scales are OD green plastic with the federal eagle molded on one side. Mine is in excellent condition but very dirty so I took it to work for a good scrubbing in the solvent tank. While cleaning it I got an idea that I tried as soon as I got home.

Success !

This pocket knife fits perfectly in the spare magazine pouch of my P1 holster. It slips in and out easily almost like it was designed for it.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Coleman's Military Surplus for $30.

Registered
That鈥檚 a genuine one (Victorinox). There are cheap copies in circulation (Miltec), which are of inferior quality. The current version, Soldatenmesser 08, is also manufactured by Victorinox and is issued to the militaries of Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, as well as several other armed forces around the world:

From the same company (different factory), if you have the necessary small-change, you could purchase the Wenger Giant, although you might have some difficulty getting it to fit into that pouch:

Balor

Registered
Back when I was in the Bundeswehr, they had hardly any to issue. If you wanted one, you had to find one yourself. I find the new one is considerably better quality, although ironically soldiers have gotten in trouble for carrying it in civilian life in Germany because it can be opened with one hand.

Of course, you could also do like Crocodile Dundee and go with the REAL German Army knife :)

Registered
Back when I was in the Bundeswehr, they had hardly any to issue. If you wanted one, you had to find one yourself. I find the new one is considerably better quality, although ironically soldiers have gotten in trouble for carrying it in civilian life in Germany because it can be opened with one hand.

View attachment 95319

Of course, you could also do like Crocodile Dundee and go with the REAL German Army knife :)

View attachment 95316
Does that mean a Zweihander is ok to carry in Germany?

Registered
Does that mean a Zweihander is ok to carry in Germany?
Generally yes. The traditional pocket knife requiring the use of your opposite thumb鈥榮 fingernail is legal to carry in public. However, to my knowledge just like here any knife can be banned at certain locations, for certain events etc.

Beyond that it gets tricky. There鈥榮 a bunch of types that are legal to own, but not to carry, and some are okay to carry if you have them not easily accessible, like in a backpack. And some like full-auto are completely illegal. Bit like California :)

PS: And yeah, if you want to use German, to avoid misunderstandings one needs to distinguish a Zweih盲nder from a Klappmesser mit Zweihand-Bedienung.

Registered
On a less flippant note:

Some European jurisdictions distinguish between a 鈥渨eapon鈥 and a 鈥渄angerous object鈥. A weapon is an object which is designed to wound or kill. A dangerous object is basically any everyday object which CAN be used to wound or kill. A kitchen knife, carpet knife (box knife) screwdriver or hammer are perfectly legal to own and to use for their intended purposes, but if you are arrested and searched for participating in a riotous demonstration and are found to be carrying such an implement, then you will have some explaining to do.

Balor

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

View attachment 95316
That is one fugly knife. I'm not a fan of tanto style blades. They should have went with the Glock 81.

The Scots can still carry them though, as they need them to open their cans of baked beans - which they eat for breakfast
That's just a stereotype. I usually have a bottle of Mount Dew for breakfast. Wait..that's a midwest stereotype.

Registered
The Scots can still carry them though, as they need them to open their cans of baked beans - which they eat for breakfast:
That's just a stereotype. I usually usually have a bottle of Mount Dew for breakfast. Wait..that's a midwest stereotype.
Stereotype?...Really?!!! You might think I鈥檓 kidding, but have you been to Scotland?

A Scottish breakfast, Bon Appetit:

Balor

Registered
I still have mine , it still looks like on the day it was issued to me. Made by CCM but I had some Victorinox manufactured ones that I gave to the kids. The later ones were issued with a clip over the saw.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Back when I was in the Bundeswehr, they had hardly any to issue. If you wanted one, you had to find one yourself.
What was the purpose of the cork screw ? Did the Bundeswehr regularly hand out bottles of wine ?

Registered
Coleman's Military Surplus for $30.

Cool. Bought one too now. And they even gave me a 10% off code for next time. If anybody wants it: K7WJ-T9ZF-FXMF

Registered
I have a Colt branded copy of the WWII German paratrooper knife, gravity out the front blade paired with a marlin spike. Sort of cool but it weighs a ton so it doesn't get much use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts