Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the gen 1 serial number format? it is a 40sw. It has 2000 and 4 digit number stamped on the barrel, and back of the tang on the frame? It has AA stamped next to the accessory rail. So what is the official serial number?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I don't believe I've ever seen the import marking in that location before, but it seems like it is the correct font for pistols imported in the year 2000. I've never seen that format for a serial number before either. Strange. Most of the 1st gen pistols I've seen have a 6-digit serial number, except for the very early models. I'm not sure what that is but hopefully someone else will be able to give some more information here. I'll just say that I doubt it is a coincidence that the date code indicates that this pistol was made in the year 2000, and there is a "2000" in the serial number. It may be a special edition of the P99, as those are the only models of the pistol that I know of that have "special" serial numbers. It may also be a contract pistol used by a government agency.

Where did you get this?

You probably know this already, but I'll add that the roll pin and trigger pin in the first picture could probably use some lube for corrosion resistance, and the backstrap and slide plate on the last picture seem to have multiple cracks in them.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would say barrel and frame are from the commemorative 2000 gun
Slide just regular
Or somebody refinished the slide
But there serial pattern is for sure from the 2000 year commemorative

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I would say barrel and frame are from the commemorative 2000 gun
Slide just regular
Or somebody refinished the slide
But there serial pattern is for sure from the 2000 year commemorative
I think you're right with the slide refinish. The import marking (below the ejection port in this pistol) looks like it was covered over with an aftermarket finish. Did the commemorative 2000 pistols have the import marking in this location?

On another note, what ever happened to the P99FAQ? There was a whole lot of interesting information about the P99 there.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I appreciate it, but I was speaking of the original P99FAQ which doesn't seem to work anymore. I believe two members on this forum created it a while back.

www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/index.html

Almost all of the models of the P99 were listed there, along with most of the changes to the design over the years.

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
I'm thinkin' ole Lunde either lost interest, moved on, or passed on.

You're right, his site was a wealth of information.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got this p99 40sw a while back. Previous owner stated that the pistol was stored wet and took the slide to refinish, and i can faintly see some residual marking on the slide. But the stamping on the barrel matches the tang on the frame. The internals are in good shape, shoots marvelously though.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Pay attention to that slide plate. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it is cracked in that picture. That holds the striker assembly in the slide, which moves violently every time the pistol is fired. I'd want to be 100% sure that it wasn't cracked before firing it. I certainly wouldn't risk carrying it, and/or being in a position to fire it without eye protection.

While it is not as important in regards to function, I'd swap the cracked backstrap as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pay attention to that slide plate. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it is cracked in that picture. That holds the striker assembly in the slide, which moves violently every time the pistol is fired. I'd want to be 100% sure that it wasn't cracked before firing it. I certainly wouldn't risk carrying it, and/or being in a position to fire it without eye protection.

While it is not as important in regards to function, I'd swap the cracked backstrap as well.
Good eye, I never noticed it has a slight crack showing. Where can i get a spare slide plate? Earl? Is it the same slide plate gen1-3, 9mm/40sw?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Call Walther.

I just recently noticed that mine was cracked on my PPQ. I called Walther Arms and they are sending one in the mail. No charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts