Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after searching high and low on the forum and youtubes, I broke down and got meself and "Earls" compensator.
20200411_180717.jpg 20200413_202711.jpg 20200507_110013 Walther and Strike One.jpg

I did a side by side comparison for recoil against my lightest recoiling pistol: the Strike one with it very low bore axis and Bergmann System.

Ammo used was 115gr Federal ball (Black box).

Range report:
Follow up shots were very easy. Even more so than the Strike One. I took shots from 7 yards to 15yards. Point of impact was right on my point of aim (unlike my Javis comp at 12 yards).Rapid follow up shots were also easy to get on target.

Looking at the Earls compensator. The way this is cut makes me think more "Muzzle Brake" vs Compensator due to where gases are vented.

Typical compensators use some of the propellant gases to reduce muzzle rise through 1 or more ports on the top/or 12 o'clock position of the compensator.
However this compensator uses (3) angled and vented ports on the bottom. The venting is directed down and to the rear. My only though on how this works is:
it "pulls" the gun forward and down vs Pushing it down with more common designs.Kinda like front engine vs rear engine cars when propelling a vehicle forward.Different methods but both is drive the nose up and throw you in your seat.

In my limited experience (but interweb search) says that most compensators will use a set screw to keep it in place ( Jarvis compensator does this). Mine was timed using a Steel bushing threaded internally for 1/2x28 RH and the exterior threaded for the Compensator.

Earl sells these threaded for 13.5x1LH so,if you have a threaded barrel in this thread pitch, this will be a snap.It will also save you a little headache trying to find someone willing to machine a bushing to 1/2x28RH.

Ill get around to making a vid on you tube shooting it. Individual videos are already cut for Slow mo comparison and rapid fire.

What do ya think?

·
Premium Member
13,724 Posts
Very interesting. I have always wondered how that Walther compensator worked.....and I'm still wondering? :giggle: Looking forward to seeing your slowmo videos.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
That looks awesome. But, I bet that thing is loud.

I previously had a SCAR 16S, that came with a muzzle break. It too "pulled" the gun forward on every shot, and did wonders for recoil. Interesting how that works. But on 5.56, it was just so damn loud that it would give me a headache even with muffs on. I eventually changed it to a flash hider.

Doubt I'd wanna use that add on for a self defense gun. It's gotta be super loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doubt I'd wanna use that add on for a self defense gun. It's gotta be super loud.
Yea...Its my self defense gun. I couldnt tell if it was any louder than my non comped gun and I shot it at an indoor range and then at an outdoor...With Ear pro both times :p

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Yea...Its my self defense gun. I couldnt tell if it was any louder than my non comped gun and I shot it at an indoor range and then at an outdoor...With Ear pro both times :p

I had a comped 1911 years ago. And, it was usually the loudest gun on the range. Granted, that was in 45ACP. But, no way did I ever wanna shoot that gun without hearing protection. I do know comps increase the decibel level. But maybe it isn't as bad in 9mm

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Does the muzzle brake blast the crap out of your Olight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts