Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Oh, it definitely "decocks" the striker, but safely, as you ease the trigger back forward. If it is like mine was, one can ease the striker by easing the trigger back forward when you feel the extra pressure, or hear that "click".

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Oh, it definitely "decocks" the striker, but safely, as you ease the trigger back forward. If it is like mine was, one can ease the striker by easing the trigger back forward when you feel the extra pressure, or hear that "click".
A little like lighting a dynamite fuse but you can not really tell if it is lit or not.....until it blows up in your face!:eek:

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Maybe you should ask them to show their attorneys that video, rather than their "gunsmith".

I don't see how it makes any sense on Walther's part to not at least inspect the pistol. Something is obviously wrong with that pistol, while pulling the trigger. As of this point, nobody has pinpointed the cause of the issue.

·
Premium Member
13,721 Posts
Well, the trigger IS NOT DECOCKING THE STRIKER.....the trigger is releasing the striker....just like the decocker button releases the striker....the difference is, when you press the decocker button, it releases the striker....the striker slams forward and is stopped by THE DECOCKER. When the striker is cocked and you pull the trigger all the way to the rear, it'll release the striker and it'll slam forward......THATS NOT HAPPENING HERE.

With the striker cocked, when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear, it apparently releases the striker, but the striker is caught by the 'double action lug' (I just made that name up) and this double action lug is holding the striker to the rear. Now, as the OP lets the trigger come forward, you can watch the striker follow it forward.

There's a tiny screw in the top of the sear housing (part 32.9 I think). This is the trigger bar adjustment screw....it could be that this screw surface is worn and/or out of adjustment (Hey, I'm just WAGGIN' here).

Or, like balance said....maybe a cracked sear housing, worn trigger bar or some other surface.

Here's a couple of pictures. One showing the sear housing and the set screw. The other shows a P99 trigger bar....the lug I've got circled in red is not on a PPQ.....the PPQ has neither of those lugs.....see the top trigger bar in the picture.

Walther needs to fix this pistol.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
With the striker cocked, when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear, it apparently releases the striker, but the striker is caught by the 'double action lug' (I just made that name up) and this double action lug is holding the striker to the rear. Now, as the OP lets the trigger come forward, you can watch the striker follow it forward.
This is what I was getting at. If this is the case, then the trigger bar must be sitting too high when the striker is released. I'm wondering why.

I thought of something that may be causing this after looking at the pictures. The tab on the trigger bar on your first picture, closest to the bottom of your first picture, is what pushes part number 32.1 on your second picture, rear, to release the sear. I suppose it is possible that some debris found its way to the rear of this tab, and is releasing the sear too early during the trigger pull. I'd suggest inspecting and cleaning the rear of this tab, as well as inspecting and cleaning the front of part number 32.1 where this tab pushes against it. This may be the cause, and it would make sense as to why another member with this issue had it go away after a cleaning.

I wish I was better with computers, so I could put little red arrows in pictures to better explain what I was describing.

·
Premium Member
13,721 Posts
True, true..... Yep, that little tab on the trigger bar (green circle) pushes on the 'single action lever' tab (green circle). As you said, if there some krap built up on either of those surfaces, the result would be releasing the striker a little early.....before the double action catch has been pushed down out of the way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok new development. I have another Gen 1 and just being curious I swapped the slide and barrel onto the frame of the messed up Gen 1. After about 20 dry fires, I didn't have a single problem it didn't do the decocking at all with the other slide. So im wondering if it's the slide that's the problem. It just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just wait. After you reassemble both, and they both work properly again (which they might), you will be even more confused. In which case, theories of broken housings or worn parts seemingly fall apart. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
So im wondering if it's the slide that's the problem.
Did you try swapping the slide of the "bad" pistol on the frame of the "good" pistol?

If they both work fine after this, try swapping just the striker assemblies, that way you don't have different serial numbers on the slide and frame.

I would rather pinpoint the issue before I relied on the pistol though. Is this a carry gun?

In which case, theories of broken housings or worn parts seemingly fall apart.
I'm not so sure. There could be one or more parts that are worn or misaligned just to the point that a slight change in tolerances makes the pistol go from working normally, to not working normally.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dude.

Don't start swapping parts. Or at least, at this point, put all the parts back on the guns they belong to.

There's something wrong with the trigger bar. (Curious if you have a pic of it, but it's just curiousity). Makes me wonder if someone replaced an original part with an incorrect one, or did some bad trigger gunsmithing.

Either get Walther to take it in for warranty, or order a new spare from Walther and install it yourself.

Walther's email shows a lack of understanding of the issue, btw. Your 3rd vid (showing the striker movement) was the most important one. That slow "creep forward" shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was this ever resolved? I just got an early Gen 1, 9mm, and it's doing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Was this ever resolved? I just got an early Gen 1, 9mm, and it's doing the same thing.
I'd suggest you follow the advice given to the OP of this thread. If an inspection of the pistol, in the places that were suggested, don't result in pinpointing the issue, then send it to Walther.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No the issue was never resolved. Walther USA wouldn't take it. I just had to sell it and cry a little. Lol. BUT Walther baffles me because on the issue they showed horrible CS but on my other Gen 1 the barrel appeared to have pitting and not much rifling in the barrel so I contacted them about buying a new barrel because I knew they wouldn't help, and to my surprise I talked to a different CS rep. He told me to send in my barrel and they'd send me a new one for free. They paid shipping. So that impressed me. Seems like they are hit or miss and depends on who you deal with and how much they really want to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An update on mine: I sent it to Earl's and they did an excellent job. Not inexpensive, but I also had them tune everything up while it was there (and got night sights). Very quick turnaround, and their work is excellent.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Too bad Walther didn't take care of what was clearly an issue. One suggestion to get any gun manufacturers attention, I don't advocate lying per say but if you use the terms "it seems unsafe" and "on a couple of occasions I think it fired 2 rounds with one trigger pull" will ensure they take your concerns seriously.

·
Registered
64 Posts
An update on mine: I sent it to Earl's and they did an excellent job. Not inexpensive, but I also had them tune everything up while it was there (and got night sights). Very quick turnaround, and their work is excellent.

Hate to bring up an old forum but my gen 1 split trigger is having this same exact issue save for one additional detail: it won't fire even in DA. So when the firing pin is released and starts to follow the trigger back to the DA position, if I attempt to pull the trigger fully rearward nothing happens. So under both single action and DA the striker will simply not be released. So I've been without my EDC for about a year now. I happened upon this thread hoping for a solution at the end...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts