Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, has anyone seen anything like this? I have a 1st gen Walther p99 9mm. When it's in single action right before the trigger break it makes a small clicking noise. You can still fire it but it decocks it without touching the decocker. Definitely not normal! (And yes I know it's not good to slam the slide forward. I never do but only had one hand available.) here's a link. I recorded it and uploaded it to YouTube https://youtu.be/rSAp1e6mDxM

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/68722-p99-striker-reset-problem.html I had it happen to me. No explanation. I was ready to give up, but then cleaned the gun again (just for something to do), later reassembled it, and now it appears to have corrected itself. I do not really think dirt, etc, had anything to do with it, and I'd hate to think that a P99 is so fragile that even something like that could cause a malfunction. That was weeks ago, and it has been out to the range twice and fired 50 rounds each time since with no further problems. I hope yours clears up, but I cannot tell you what is causing it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I too had a problem where the trigger was dead. Even contacted Walther for a return. Then disassembled and reassembled and viola - GTG. It was Gen 3. Been fine since.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So apparently they are fine with the trigger being able to decock the p99. Whatever. I'll find my own gunsmith I guess.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
I'm just trying to wrap me little pointed head around 'decocking'. In your first video, I heard both clicks....that second click should have been much louder, as when you actually release the striker.....if that striker was cocked, it certainly wasn't released. So, its apparent NO decocking took place here. I'm wondering if the striker was even 'cocked'. I'd like to have seen the rear of the pistol after you release the slide to see if the striker 'red dot' was sticking thru the end cap. I'd also like to have seen the end of the pistol after you pulled the trigger and only got 'two' clicks....NO striker release or decocking.

In the second video, I heard the first 'click'....I don't have a clue what that click was, BUT it didn't decock the striker....I know that because as you continued to pull the trigger rearward, the striker WAS released.....as usual. The only question here is, what was that 'first' click.

I'm pretty sure this pistol is Flubbed Up.

You need to contact Walther again and demand they take a look at it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I still think it has something to do with the trigger bar guide. Have you guys had any trigger work done on the pistol? I imagine that excessive polishing or stoning where the top of the trigger bar meets the trigger bar guide, could cause this.

The trigger bar guide drops the trigger bar lower, the further to the rear that the trigger is pulled. If the trigger bar is too high when the striker is released from the SA sear, I believe it can impact the trigger bar where the trigger bar cocks the striker in the DA trigger pull.

Check to see if the sear housing is cracked in the top-right corner where the trigger bar guide sits. Also, check to see if the trigger bar guide is still in the sear housing. You may also want to check to see if the roll pin that holds the sear housing in place is cracked, misaligned or missing as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after that first 'click' it's returning the trigger to double action. So it could be decocking the pistol. Think about it. It's doing the exact same thing as if I was pressing the decocker.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
I'm trying to think about it, but its making me wittle head hurt.

I think balance may be on to something. I don't have any P99's to examine....just PPQ's.

Send it back to Walther....it has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I meant saying though, Walther won't take it back. They say it's fine because it still fires. I guess they just have bad CS

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Well after that first 'click' it's returning the trigger to double action. So it could be decocking the pistol. Think about it. It's doing the exact same thing as if I was pressing the decocker.
Exactly.

All the decocker does in regards to decocking the pistol, is release the SA sear. This is the same thing that pulling the trigger does.

If the trigger bar is sitting too high when this happens, the tab on the striker used to cock the striker during the DA trigger pull, could be impacting the trigger bar, causing this issue.

Check to see if the sear housing is cracked in the top-right corner where the trigger bar guide sits. Also, check to see if the trigger bar guide is still in the sear housing. You may also want to check to see if the roll pin that holds the sear housing in place is cracked, misaligned or missing as well. Please inform us if any trigger work was done on the pistol.

I would send a PM to PeterTheFish. He is the one who informed the forum of the function of the trigger bar guide in this linked thread where he was trying to put P99 internals into a PPQ frame, and I believe he may have more of an understanding of what is going on here:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/25960-ppq.html

If Walther was unwilling to help, I'd try Earl.

www.carlwalther.com

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
That's what I meant saying though, Walther won't take it back. They say it's fine because it still fires. I guess they just have bad CS
Well, email em'. Describe your problem and provide links to your videos. I'm not a gunsmith, but I have owned some P99's and YOUR trigger is NOT working properly.

Wait for an email response. If they still won't fix the pistol. Make a post on Facebook describing you problem and experience with Walther CS....and provide links to your videos.

Then send a link to your Facebook post to Walther.

I bet they'll fix it.

Oh, and the CS rep that told you it was OK because it still fires needs to go back to flippin' burgers at McDonalds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have emailed them. I emailed them the problem and they told me to call to further discuss it. I called and they didn't seem too knowledgeable on P99's. I sent the videos y'all have seen per their request. They watched them and said they didn't see a problem. I posted their reply. I'm definitely not too happy on how much they don't want to help fix it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Oh, and the CS rep that told you it was OK because it still fires needs to go back to flippin' burgers at McDonalds.
I couldn't agree more. That response left me dumbfounded and furious, and I'm not the owner of the pistol. I would think that they would at least want to check the pistol out, if for nothing other than to at least prevent a possible safety issue, being that this is dealing with the trigger of the pistol.

brock51, I would try calling Earl and explaining the issue to him to see if he has dealt with this issue before. You could then either send the pistol to Earl to fix it, or relay that information to Walther and get them to make this right. It is ridiculous that forum members seem more willing to help than the service center that represents the manufacturer of the pistol.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
OK, that was a better video. I heard the first click....that's probably the click you'd hear when you're moving the trigger rearward from AS mode and you reach SA mode.

Now when you continue pulling the trigger all the way to the rear, it appears that the single action sear is tripped, releasing the striker, but its also caught by the double action mechanism.....as shown when you let the trigger come forward and you can watch the striker follow the trigger forward.

That trigger is Flubbed up.

Send this video to Walther and tell em' you want the pistol to operate like its supposed to. If they still refuse....tell em' they can read about it on their facebook page....then go make you post, including links to all your videos....the last one is the best....also include a copy of the previous correspondence you received.

Good Luck.........

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
You should talk to Seiter immediately. I suspect he will want a gunsmith to examine it. I do not own one and have never looked close enough to really know how it is supposed to function. What I would be telling Ft Smith is the trigger system is "failing" and that immediately presents a safety issue. CS is not and should not attempt to act as experts or even gunsmiths......Seiter knows that!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts