Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
I'm Gatofeo, which is Spanish for "ugly cat." My ancestry is northern European, so it's a long story how I acquired a Hispanic nom de net. Rather not go into that ... :D

I have a wartime Walther P38; AC43 markings tell me it was made by Walther in 1943. It's in very good condition and was given me by a World War II veteran more than 35 years ago. I haven't fired it for a few years, but perusing this site makes me want to drag it from the safe for a plinking session.

I also have an Interarms Walther PPK in .380 ACP, purchased new in 1999. This is a frequent carry gun, which I usually load with ball ammo for maximum reliability and penetration.
Some years ago, on Fleabay, I was lucky to find one of the rare MMC (Michigan Machine Co.) adjustable rear sights made for the PPK in the early 1970s. I paid $50 for it. When received, its 1970s price tag said $75!
How's that for anti-inflation?
This tiny, adjustable rear sight is wonderful on the PPK, allowing me to use the same sight picture for light, plinking loads assembled with lead bullets, or full-power loads used for self defense.

Now, if I could just find the RARE soft rubber grips for the PPK made in the early 1970s by, I believe, Pachmayr! No one makes a soft rubber grip for the PPK today, though they are made for the PPK/S.

I reload for about 25 different rifle and pistol calibers, from .25 ACP up to the .45-70. I also cast my own bullets. I cranked out my first reload in 1971, with a Lee Loader in .32 Winchester Special for my father's old Winchester 1894. I still have that rifle, and wish I'd kept the .32 WS Lee Loader.

Some of you may recognize the name Gatofeo from my numerous posts in other message boards, especially where cap and ball revolvers are concerned. My experience with cap and ball revolvers goes back to 1970.

Some years ago I discovered a 19th century factory recipe for outside lubricated bullets. Using that as a guide, but employing very specific ingredients, I created an exceptional black powder lubricant that is excellent in felt wads, patches, shotgun wads and bullets.
More than 10 years ago I began posting this recipe, which was soon dubbed "Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant" by others.
It's not commercially offered because I am unable to find an inexpensive, reliable source for mutton tallow. Also, I'm in the process of registering "Gatofeo" as a trademark.

The recipe for Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant is:
1 part mutton tallow
1 part canning paraffin
1/2 part beeswax
All amounts are by weight, not volume. Use the specific ingredients listed; it makes a big difference in effectiveness.

I live in the remote desert of northwestern Utah, about 85 miles from Salt Lake City. This area remains one of the most remote in the lower 48, and it's packed with history: the Pony Express route, old mines, wagon trails, the Donner Party passing through, Lincoln Highway, Bonneville Salt Flats, Indian tribes, it goes on ...
Much of the land is public; my shooting backstop is the local mountain range.

I'm a bachelor, never married, but rest assured I like women.
My other interests include history, reading, exploring the desert, fishing, cooking, antiques, travel, etymology, photography, writing, collecting coins, making the perfect Martini (gin and vermouth, anything else is blasphemy), and spoiling my cats.

I expect to learn a great deal from this message board, and offer my own experience.

Anyone have a good recipe for the Winchester 115 gr. hollowbased 9mm fullet metal jacket bullet?
I have 2,000 of these bullets, and I'd like a good, standard pressure load for my P38 and Browning Hi-Power.
I hope to hear from someone soon.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
That's quite a first post, cat. Welcome aboard. It sounds as though you have some interesting firearms, as well as an interesting moniker. It also sounds as though you live in great part of the West; congratulations on both. Enjoy your time here. And post up a photo of two of your pistols when you get the chance; we always like to take a look at nice Walthers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts