Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seams if I tighten the bolt at the bottom of the stock too much the gun wont fire.
Im not talking about cranking down on it either.
just moderately tight
then when I pull the trigger its like something almost catches but slips aside and the trigger comes all the way back without the hammer falling.
loosen the bold and pull the trigger and it catches and drops the hammer?
what could it be?
I am missing the little coil spring everybody always looses. the one for the Mag safety. I doubt that has anything to do with the problem.
Trigger linkage is fine
its almost like by tightening the bolt that holds the action into the stock Im pulling something out of alignment?
any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you doubt that the missing spring has anything to do with it?

M
The rifle functions fine without this spring as long as there is a mag inserted.
all that particular spring does is to engage the mag safety when the mag is removed.

The rifle had functioned fine without this spring in the past
My current problem seams to have just started.
I can usually figure this stuff out, but I cant see how the tension of the stock bolt should effect the rifles ability to fire.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The mag safety functions by preventing the gun from firing.

Your gun won't fire.

You are missing a spring from the mag safety.

To me, that sounds like a clue.

M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my gun the spring was always missing since I got it.
However it does sometimes function, and this malfunction is a recent problem.
Thus is not caused by this missing spring.
Anybody else have any relevant experience with this rifle?

·
Registered
422 Posts
well, mine intermittantly stopped firing at one point. A close inspection showed i had a broken mag saftey spring. A call to S&W confirmed that even with a mag in, that spring puts reverse pressure on that internal saftey allowing it to fire. The fact that i did "sometimes" was due to crappy design.

A replacement mag saftey spring fixed it. I've put another 2 or 3 K thru it since then with no "real" failures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured it out
the stock was pressing on the trigger transfer bar when tightened down
I was able to replicate the problem with the stock off by pressing down where the trigger transfer bar connects with the hammer group, while pulling the trigger. There was a little ridge of plastic on the inside of the stock there.
I filed it down smooth with the inside of the stock.
problem fixed.
had nothing to do with a missing spring.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Neat. Glad its running. Add another note to the G22 manual of arms, i suppose. Right next to having to re-bend the trigger bar every few thousand rounds...:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Figured it out
the stock was pressing on the trigger transfer bar when tightened down
I was able to replicate the problem with the stock off by pressing down where the trigger transfer bar connects with the hammer group, while pulling the trigger. There was a little ridge of plastic on the inside of the stock there.
I filed it down smooth with the inside of the stock.
problem fixed.
had nothing to do with a missing spring.
Thanks for the post. I had exact same problem, missing spring and all. Replaced spring with cut open spring and still wouldn't fire. Loosened bolt and it did fire. Filing down protrusion after writing this post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts