Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you use your full size P99 for everyday concealed carry. The reason I am asking is I am planning my first handgun purchase, unfortunitly I will not have the funds to purchase another for some time, (a DPMS .308 is next on my list).

I have had a bit of range time with the full size and worn a friends around the house for a couple of hours, but I am not able to put it through the paces of everyday life. As far as the P99c, I have only held it in the store. I tend not to care for compacts but seeing how it is such a great gun I would make an exception.

I am 6'1" 220 pounds with an athletic build, which during my holstered test drive around the house seemed to conceal the full size fairly well, but most of that time was spent sitting and standing repeatedly and walking around the house. I prefer to dress in jeans and a t-shirt but am willing to dress around a gun as long as it does not take a parka, business suit or one of those vests that screams that you are carring a gun. I am not worried about minor printing, seeing how when most people see a small bulge on your wasteline they just asume it is a cell phone.

I hate to go on and on but I just wanted to provide backround for the big question.

If you had to choose between the full size and the compact for your one and only handgun which would it be?

Also I would appreciate any problems anyone has encountered while packing the full size. I prefer full size and if I did not have a carry permit I wouldn't consider the compact.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm waiting for my license, bought a full-size and plan to carry it. I have worn it around the house all day several times and while working at the gun club. I haven't had any concerns with it. I'm comfortable wearing it. I have worn it while driving a few times and was comfortable. I like the ability to carry 15 rounds. I'm 5'8" and 280 (Portly as I was told once by a tailor) and the gun conceals well for me. T-shirts don't conceal great for me, unless they are pretty loose but that's more to body shape. I wear it IWB using an IWB Scabbard holster from Black Hills Leather

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
To get away with fullsize carry, U will have to carry IWB probably (unless U wear 2 shirts).

I personally don't find that comfortable. I like to carry in my pocket or using a leather OWB belt holster - so I carry a P99c

·
Registered
127 Posts
To get away with fullsize carry, U will have to carry IWB probably (unless U wear 2 shirts).
Not true.

IWB will help conceal the gun more, you can do it successfully OWB as well. You will need a shirt with a square cut bottom. A polo shirt, t-shirt, or camp shirt for example. You get one size larger than you normally wear. It won't look too baggy or scruffy, and conceals quite well. You will need a quality pancake style holster.

I carried a full size P99 for about a year in an Alessi CQC/s like this without anyone knowing. I have also successfully carried a full size 1911 the same way. We're roughly the same size (but not the same shape :D ). With an athletic waistline, it should be even easier for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen alot of people use magizine grip extenders with full size p99 mags when at the range. Is there a difference in how you hold the P99c when using mag extender vs. the pinky endcap that comes with the P99c.

Also what are the differences in accuracy between the full size and compact. Obviusly the P99c has a shorter sight radius, but does anyone think it is less accurate than it's full size brother.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Not true.

IWB will help conceal the gun more, you can do it successfully OWB as well. You will need a shirt with a square cut bottom. A polo shirt, t-shirt, or camp shirt for example. You get one size larger than you normally wear. It won't look too baggy or scruffy, and conceals quite well. You will need a quality pancake style holster.

I carried a full size P99 for about a year in an Alessi CQC/s like this without anyone knowing. I have also successfully carried a full size 1911 the same way. We're roughly the same size (but not the same shape :D ). With an athletic waistline, it should be even easier for you.
Well, I have tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I have to watch where i place my P99c with my belt holster. Without 2 shirts or a jacket, I can't carry a larger one without it being obvious.

·
Registered
333 Posts
To answer your question directly ???? get the weapon you are able to shoot best, you can always work around concealment . I carry a very large S&W 1006 10mm concealed everyday with little problems. You do need to wear a large t-shirt type that hangs outside the pants.

Maybe here would be a good place to explain how to conceal your carry weapons.

The best place for your holster, whether it is OWB or IWB is directly over the front pocket of your Jeans. This position prevents the weapon from printing from the rear ? like you will find if the gun is held somewhere on the shooters Side.

Also when it come time to draw ? you need only lift your shirt in the Front and pull the weapon clear. All this happens in FRONT of you and not around the side or back.

The only touchy part is finding that sweet spot, so you can sit comfortably. Depending on the barrel length of your CCW, it can dig into your leg and the grip can stick into your rib cage. But with a little practice, you can find that perfect spot. I use [ like has been suggested earlier ] a quality pancake holster that can be slid to the side a little when I sit down. After I stand, I grab the holster and pull it to the front again.

In today?s world a slight bulge around the waist attracts little or no attention?.with the advent of Cell phones and Fanny Bags. So my 10mm hides nicely by my front pocket waiting to answer the call.

JF.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I have tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I have to watch where i place my P99c with my belt holster. Without 2 shirts or a jacket, I can't carry a larger one without it being obvious.
Individual mileage may vary. ;)

That's why there are so many holsters out there. Everybody's different to some extent or another.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would have to disagree with sniper350 about wearing your holster over your front jeans pocket. The only place I have ever seen this method of "packing" is on television. If this was really the "magic" location for everyone, don't you think the magazines would be chock full of experts touting the superior benefits of appendix carry? What if you are a little on the portly side or just eat a meal on a regular basis and then want to sit? If this location works for you, that's fantastic, but I think you are in a very small minority and to insist that this is the cure all for everyone's concealed carry woes just isn't real world. Just my opinion, of course.
Regarding which one is more accurate, the P99 or P99C. I've shot both pretty extensively, and in my hands, the P99C wins the accuracy race hands down. I don't know if this is the gun or the shooter, but I'm much more accurate with the compact.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Now that the weather is cooling down I will be carrying the P99 full size on an Uncle Mike's Kydex belt holster at the hip. I'm slightly slimmer (hehe) than Pitmaster at 5'8" 250. On a cool day I wear an Army green or tan BDU shirt. On cold days an Army fatigue jacket. Both do an excellent job of concealing the P99. Everyone seems to have their own wardrobe choices based on what wear is common and comfortable in the location they live in. I think holster and clothing is something you will have to pick for yourself. There are so many different shapes and sizes of people, you really can't say one particular style is the best one.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I don't agree with carrying over the front pocket either. I carry in between 3:30 and 4:00. Presentation from 1:30 or 2:30 seems impractical, maybe even dangerous. I guess if it works for you that's fine. It doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would have to disagree with sniper350 about wearing your holster over your front jeans pocket. The only place I have ever seen this method of "packing" is on television. If this was really the "magic" location for everyone, don't you think the magazines would be chock full of experts touting the superior benefits of appendix carry?
Appendix carry can be very effective if your build allows it and it is done properly.

It is not only "seen on TV". There are a couple of prominent trainers that are working with it right now. And several well known holster companies, Comp-Tac among them, are making holsters specifically for it. I doubt a company would commit the time and resources needed to develop a holster if it was a fad.

The late Bruce Nelson, designer of the "Summer Special" IWB holster carried a Commander IWB at the appendix position at one time. His original Summer Special only had one belt loop and was a straight drop holster.

I will concede that appendix carry doesn't work for everyone. But it is unfair to dismiss a carry method in that manner without researching it further.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great opinions, keep 'em coming. Please vote on my poll "Only One?" I will eventually have to find a range that rents both models before I decide which one to buy, but everyones opinion here will be of great value, especialy those who own both.

I am sure I will buy both of them sooner or later. As most of you know it is very hard if not impossible to only own 1 P99.

P.S. I own a Maruzen P99 airsoft gun which is a exact replica of a pre 2004
P99, right down to the AS trigger that works just like it is supposed to. They are a little hard to find, and accuracy isn't the greatest, but it work's great for training when you can't get to the range or would not want to use live ammo (drawing drills and things of that nature)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Appendix carry IS being taught ????.. at many schools, by informed combat shooters. My school for one :)

Seems WalthermanP99 is one of the few doing his homework :D

I don?t mean to preach so I will only respond this one last time on the subject and let the chips fall where they may???like many have said here already ? it?s a personal choice and I for one respect that.

Self-defense is a SYSTEM ???. And for it to be effective, one must train as such.
My students are taught a burst response that takes less than 2 seconds to hit a target 6 times. Many on this Forum have already been bored with reading my threads about this method, so I won?t repeat it here. But the DRAW [ holster placement ] that I have spoke about works perfectly in conjunction with this burst response. The weapon is NEVER brought above the belt buckle and is locked into a ?shooter?s triangle? where the 6 rounds are delivered with deadly accuracy in under 2 seconds. Trying to perform this type of response [ to an attack ] by drawing from a holster on the shooters side is SLOW and awkward at best. Just trying to clear the clothing away from a holster on your side can be awkward, not to mention bringing the weapon around to the front to face the attacker and begin your response. Remember time is extremely important during the initial phase of a self defense action ? you are working ?behind? in the threat curve [ reacting ] and must fight hard to put yourself out in front of the situation. Anything that slows you down and costs accuracy --- may cost you your life ! That means taking the time to bring the weapon up to eye level ???.and it can all be over in what seems like an instant.

From a FOF study -- I have shown my students can draw and hit an 11 ?? circle [ 12 feet away ] 6 times before most students using a side mounted holster can bring their weapon to the front and up to eye level for sight acquisition . It?s not magic or my great teaching abilities ??. It is just plain simple physics. As soon as the weapon clears the holster { in the appendix carry position } its ready to fire and target acquisition happens almost immediately and automatically with the shooter facing his target. Again personal choice, but I have found it much easier and faster to left my shirt with the weak hand [ IN FRONT OF ME ] while my strong hand grabs the weapon. You should see the strange contortions of shooters with side mounted holsters trying to get their shirt up and clear of their weapons ???. ?under stress? !!!

You must have a plan of attack before a self-defense situation arises ??. And effect the proper placement of your equipment to best implement that Plan. The appendix carry is a ?must? for anyone using my ?burst response? ??. utilizing point shooting techniques of the shooter?s triangle.

Stay safe ???..

JF.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
While appenidx carry is not always the way I carry,
I too agree with Jeff......In the colder months of the year while many think they can pack some bigger gun, mine goes to appendix (P99c) just to make draw easier with a closed jacket.
If you look at some of these holsters out there.... with as much rake as they have it is near impossible to carry them 'on' the hipp. They are all for behind the hipp carry and that can be a problem when it's cold and you have layers of clothing on.
That said.... I picked the full size P99 on the poll, but either will do fine. I too have noticed that my P99c is as accurate or better when shooting side by side with the P99.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Again...type of carry is gonna depend on the individual build of the person as well as climate situations. My body doesn't even remotely resemble the lean, mean, fighting machine I had when I got out of the Army in 1970. :D Drawing a firearm ANYWHERE from the front pockets forward in an an efficient manner is going to be impossible for me ("quick" disappeared from my vocabulary back when I turned 50). And the cold weather in New Mexico is NOTHING like the cold weather I left in Illinois. It gets cold at night but by noon the sun has melted any frost or light snow we might have. So I am not walking around with multiple layers of clothing on and heavy Winter coats when I am out and about. This is true of most of the US Southwest.
I am not going to criticize Sniper's method because everyone has their own type of skill level and methods they use. And I don't doubt that some engagement methods are handicapped by certain methods of carry. I really don't see how you can have a "plan of attack before a self-defense situation arises" because EVERY situation is different. What you definitely DO need to have is situational awareness and take necessary precautions BEFORE you are put in a situation that puts you in a bad position tactically. Many times close encounters of the deadly kind can be avoided completely using common sense precautions.
6 shots in one target...whew!!:eek: I think I'd rather have TWO shots in 3 targets. Oh yeah...I carry a wheelgun occasionally and six in one would leave me with ZERO (not counting the two speedloaders I carry). :D

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm 6' & 173 lbs and can conceal conceal the full size with no problems. Also, with the weather here you can get away with wearing a jacket about 9 months of the year so most of the time concealment won't be much of an issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
sniper350 said:
Self-defense is a SYSTEM ???. And for it to be effective, one must train as such.
I would add that it is also a DYNAMIC system. You should always be learning and trying new things. Don't get locked into one thing. Your "dogma" could get run over by your "karma".

1 - 20 of 48 Posts