Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I insert a full clip (i.e. 8 rounds) and subsequently release the held open slide, the first round won't feed properly. The slide is stopped about halfway by the cartridge which is blocked in a tilted position : nose in the breech and rim down towards the feeding ramp / clip. After a clearing drill, the pistol functions flawlessly.

I use 9 mm FMJ Remington UMC and besides the initial FTF, I don't have problems whatsoever. I checked the gun and its parts all over and can not find any visual damage or shortcomings (the gun is in a pristine condition, field stripped and cleaned after each shooting session). I bought it about 6 months ago (second hand) so I have no record about its history but it seemed hardly used at that time.

Any similar experiences or advise ?

PS : I only have one clip, so I can not check the functioning with another clip.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would say it points towards 2 things......
either the mag spring is worn...... or the recoil ones are worn ... or both....

I don't know for sure though.... but IMHO those recoil springs just don't seem to be the stongest.... which amazes me even more how mild the recoil of the P5 is with those 2 lil springs in there....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I believe that weakened recoil springs are most likely the cause. Is there any way or procedure to check the springs ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You'll need them sooner or later. Why not buy them and try it out. If it doesn't help, at least you'll have them for later.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I experienced the same problem with my P5C (nib) so, i doubt it has something to do with weak springs, it happens with both magazines. It occurred only with JHP but i solved it using the first round to feed FMJ. Yours seems to be a worse case...

·
Registered
765 Posts
How 'bout a nice polish of the feed ramp? Polish, not grind. With emory cloth and pinkie finger. A couple of swipes and it should be good to go. Sometimes, imperfections like scratches on the feed ramp, are not noticeable with the naked eye. And they can and do cause failures to feed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll polish the feed ramp and replace the recoil springs. Thanks for the feedback !

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a set of new springs. According to the gun shop, it will take about 2 weeks before I'll have them mailed to me (they have to be ordered in Germany). I'll keep you posted ..

PS : I checked the original springs and apparently, after 22 years, they lost about 1/3 of their strength (should be 2 x 29 N = 58 N). In order to avoid damage, I do not longer shoot my P5 untill I got the springs replaced.

By the way, I just received a back issue of the Dutch "AK56" gun magazine dated January/February 1995 in which one can read a very interesting but scaring interview with two Dutch LE gun smiths. As you know The Netherlands is one of the major LE users of the P5 - about 50,000 guns still in service today - and the article describes the maintenance, repair, strenghts and weaknesses (receivers cracking all over, corrosion inside the barrel, slides cracking, ...) of the P5 after about 10 years in service. If you guys are interested, I can translate it and have the pictures scanned in order to create a PDF-document. Please note that I have a full time job and a family, I'm not an interpreter and therefore it will take some weeks before I'll get this job done but again, if so desired I'll do it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We will appreciate it E.T.!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got started ! Already about 1/3 is translated and the 2nd third expected to be translated by tonight. As I have a very busy and tight working schedule for the upcoming week, I hope to be able to share it with you guys by the end of next weekend (maybe I'll start another thread)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm bringing back this thread because something strange is happening with my P5C and I need some advice.
At the begining of the thread E.T. told us about FTF with full clip, at that moment I also had experienced FTF with full magazines of JHP (Hydrashocks 124 gr. Silvertips 147gr.) but only if the first round was a JHP. If I put the top round FMJ It worked flawlessly.
Recently a friend and I were doing some ballistics research and tests and we were amazed with the impressive  numbers of the Cor Bon 115 gr +P JHP and the Pow R'Ball 100 gr +P. We test them shooting them from my FN P9 to Gel blocks and also to water gallons and they were excellent performers!
But when I tried the Cor Bon 115 gr +P JHP and the Pow R'Ball 100 gr +P in my P5C everytime the rounds flipped inside the magazine causing failure to feed. I replaced  the springs thinking they were weak with Wolffs +5 and got the same result!
My friend thinks maybe the P5c wasn't  made to use +P rounds, I think the short length design of the Cor Bon and the Pow R'Ball rounds has something to do with it. Any idea?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I came to the conclusion that :

1. the feed ramp was slightly dimpled, thus problably causing the FTF for the first round which in particular has less transfer (feeding) speed due to the larger resistance - caused by the fully compressed magazine spring - to be overcome by the slide which is returning into battery (cfr. recoil springs condition). The consecutive rounds didn't suffer any FTF as the cartridge resistance had decreased after stripping the first round out of the magazine. The dimple most probably was caused by feeding FMJ rounds only (as JHP ammo is not allowed for civilians here in Europe) and normally shouldn't have been any concern if it wasn't for the combination of the above mentioned.

2. the recoil springs most probably were weakened after 22 years of service.

3. Sellier & Bellot subsonic ammo (shorter cartridge length) never fed properly which kind of surprises me cause my P99 with double stack magazine has no problem with them whatsoever.

So I polished the feed ramp (got the dimple out), replaced the recoil springs and feed my P5 with LRN exclusively (to avoid another dimple). Up till now no FTF anymore !

Hope this helps  

·
Registered
20 Posts
An inexpensive (and very quick to ship), and exceptional quality of gunsprings can be had from Wolff Gunsprings. Regardi feedramp polishing-on the steel barrel itself, shouldn't be a problem (but you also shouldn't need to do it, either)-but on the aluminum frame portion, be VERY wary-you can easily break through the anodization hardening, which may temporarily alleiviat the problem, but in the not-so-long-run will actually exacerbate it, making it easier for bullet tips to dig a divot in the exposed aluminum...I'd just try new springs first; they'll probably be the solution.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
174 Posts
I checked the feedind ramp and it was fine. As I said before, I began to experience strange failures when I tried to use Cor-Bon JHP and PowR'balls (I wanted to carry a hotter stuff). The failure was that the rounds tilted inside the magazines. At first I thought it was a weak magazine spring issue but after changing them and repeating the test several times with the Cor-Bons and PowR'Balls I had the same failure. I replaced the recoil springs but still the same failure. So I began trying with every kind of JHP I could find and I realized that all JHP with a short design bullet shape caused some kind of failure. The ones that turn out right for me were: Remington Golden Saber 124gr, Speer Gold Dot 124gr and the Federal EFMJ 105gr. The Federal Hidrashock 124gr caused a couple of failures.
Actually I'm carrying the P5c loaded with Golden Sabers 124gr +p.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts