Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked and answered before, but I can't find it. What is the difference between the PPS/S pistols made by S&W and those being produced at Fort Smith?

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Ft. Smith has reputedly adopted the Smith feedramp (for hollowpoints), and of course the beavertail schnozz.
Moon

·
Registered
112 Posts
I checked with Altamont company who makes after market grips for the PPK and PPK/S. They told me that the old S&W PPK/S grips will not fit the new Ft. Smith frame. They are working on grips for the new PPK/S and will notify me when they become available.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think of the Smith pistols as a combination of the Zella-Mehlis PPK slide and the S&W frame.

"S&W frame" given feed ramp and extended tang.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As far as aesthetics are concerned, the Fort Smith PPK(/S) is better-looking than my late production S&W PPK/S due to the slide being rounded off more nicely.

I'm not sure about reliability/function since I've never shot nor handled a Fort Smith model, but then again, according to many folks here, my S&W PPK/S is the exception to the rule when it comes to reliability because it has been 100% reliable since the day I bought it, so depending on who you ask the Fort Smith model might be better by default.

I think of the Smith pistols as a combination of the Zella-Mehlis PPK slide and the S&W frame.
The ZM PPK's slide actually has a unique cut to it which doesn't taper off at the muzzle like all other PPK(/S) models which came after it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My .32 ACP S&W PPK is 100% reliable with any ammo I feed it. That was not always the case for me with ZM and Ulm pistols.

·
Registered
23 Posts
PPK-S 4-Sale (S&W vsn.)

Fyi, I have posted a steal-of-a-deal price on my S&W version PPK-S in the For Sale/Trade/Buy section of the forum. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I see everyone keeps saying the s&w frames. In reality they were built and cast by Ruger at the pine tree casing company here in NH. The older Ranger frames were also cast there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I checked with Altamont company who makes after market grips for the PPK and PPK/S. They told me that the old S&W PPK/S grips will not fit the new Ft. Smith frame. They are working on grips for the new PPK/S and will notify me when they become available.
You just saved me a couple bucks and a headache. Thanks for this!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I see everyone keeps saying the s&w frames. In reality they were built and cast by Ruger at the pine tree casing company here in NH. The older Ranger frames were also cast there.
I didn't know this. I'm curious why they would outsource to a different manufacturer, building the frames in house seems to be more cost effective.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't know this. I'm curious why they would outsource to a different manufacturer, building the frames in house seems to be more cost effective.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
In an article I read, "Smith & Wesson turned to Sturm, Ruger for its casting expertise to produce the frames, which are then shipped to S&W’s plant in Houghton, Maine for final machining and assembly into complete guns."

-- David

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I'm curious why they would outsource to a different manufacturer, building the frames in house seems to be more cost effective.
Most modern firearms manufacturers are machine shops, not forges. Forging and casting is specialty work. Once that step has been completed the parts go to S&W (or whoever) for final machining, finishing, and assembly.

What is the difference between the PPS/S pistols made by S&W and those being produced at Fort Smith?
One difference that I've noticed in pictures is that the rear sight on the Ft. Smith pistols is integral with the slide like the original ZM guns. All of the S&W and Ulm pistols that I've seen are dovetailed.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts

Entirely believable about the Smith frames, but this is the first I've heard it about the Ranger ones. Ruger was a pioneer in gunframe castings; Bill Ruger's early, overbuilt revolvers notably.

Not disputing your statement, coco', but just wondering where you heard it.

Best,
Moon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts