Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got another question.
Just got in my altamont wood grips for my Ft Smith PPK and they don’t fully fit. I read that these will fit with some modification. I’m a complete newbie and don’t wanna start taking away material without knowing. If there’s any photos of how you made them fit it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
364 Posts
From the Altamont website: With minor fitting to the inside area of the grips, they will also fit the Walther PPK Firearms produced currently in Arkansas and Interarms-produced models. To avoid injury or damage to the grips, do not use power tools. A file or fine grit sandpaper are sufficient. Approximately 1/16" of material can be removed from the locating pad edge. Remove small amounts of material at a time, checking the fit frequently, to ensure you do not oversand.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With the old grips removed, I put on one grip at a time and look from the opposite side to see where the grip is impinging on the frame. You can then mark the inside of the grip with a sharpie to see what has to be trimmed. As stated earlier, carefully remove some wood to seat the grip properly. After the grip fits the frame, make sure that the trigger and hammer are working properly. I found that the grip was pressing against the exposed part on the upper part of the frame. Especially the side opposite the safety, I had to carve away some wood on the upper part of tha grip. This was on an older PPK, not the Ft. Smith one. I don't know if that will be a problem for the newer PPK.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Would it be possible to provide photos of what you did to make the grips fit? Also, mentioned above was the problem of the right grip panel pressing against the trigger bar, thus impeding the action. I had the same problem with a set of Hogues on a PPK/S. I too had to remove a small bit of material from the inside of the right grip panel to solve it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Altamont makes wood grips that fit the PPK/S fort smith version already. Mine is the non S version which required modification.
If you also have the original PPK then just buying a set of wood grips. Line them up and see where you need to shave off some material. That’s all I did. Works and fits perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts