Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without fanfare, the salesperson at the distributor I buy from called yesterday to say he had a new PPK/S to fill a backorder. It is already sold and out the door to a customer, but the customer consented to photos for the forum before it went home with him.

First, the fit and finish were excellent. Even the spacing has been evened out in the caliber marking on the slide:

"9mm kurz / .380 ACP"

The pistol is packed in a nifty Walther case and when the case is opened, the pistol with the thumbrest magazine inserted along with a chamber flag is in a greenish colored heavy duty baggie (likely designed to prevent corrosion).

There is nothing under the foam padding in the box lid. The spare magazine, owner's manual, cable lock, and other papers are underneath the foam on which the pistol sits, and those items are visible when the foam padding is lifted up.

The operation of the pistol is very smooth. While the DA pull is heavy, it is by no means unmanageable. The SA pull is not crisp like a target pistol, but it is very good for a pistol designed for defense. I did not check re-set as I find "shooting to re-set" or "short-stroking" the trigger to be not to my liking.

The pistol happily fed a magazine full of Federal Hydra-Shok hollow points by manually running them through the pistol by vigorously racking the slide.

Here are pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'll let you know today.
Not only picking it up but the LGS has a little range set up so I'll be blowing a box of ammo through it also. Hoping for the best.
Having a "used gun aversion" I've waited a long time for this.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You should really work on that. There are too many GREAT guns that are only available used.
Quite true but I would like more time with the new guns I got now. Never enough time in the day. Sold off a ton (approx. 30 different types) just for that reason but my Walther-only collection now seems to have grown despite my desire to keep it “light.” Luckily I’m out of Walthers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well it looks like they at least fixed the roll mark on the left side of the slide. Duh who in Germany is running QC and let the early ones go with the huge gaps? You'd think they'd have caught that right away and corrected it.

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
...Having a "used gun aversion" I've waited a long time for this.
Gotta vote with Jimbo on this, Duke'!
There's a guy who frequents a local shop who won't take a new gun that has been taken from its plastic wrapping by someone else.
Fully understand the 'new/perfect' mindset, but you are missing out on older, interesting guns that have been around the block.
Moon
ETA-That advice might well have some broader applications... ;)
M

·
Registered
106 Posts
Edges of frame around backstrap/beavertail seem quite sharp. SS finish is far from the polished appearance of the Euro pistols.

I'd like to be impressed, but we'll see how they fare in the Real World.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When in Indy at the NRA convention in Indy I checked out the ppk and ppks. Both pistols were stainless and looked GREAT. fit was good and finish was bright and smooth.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gotta vote with Jimbo on this, Duke'!
There's a guy who frequents a local shop who won't take a new gun that has been taken from its plastic wrapping by someone else.
Fully understand the 'new/perfect' mindset, but you are missing out on older, interesting guns that have been around the block.
Moon
ETA-That advice might well have some broader applications... ;)
M
Hehe. I hear you sir!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I received a surprise email from my gun shop advising me that they have finally received a new PPK/S and asked if I was still interested. Long story short, I just got back a short while ago with my new PPK/S in hand. Fit and finish, inside and out, are excellent! The edges is some areas are sharp particularly around the "duckbill".

Pulling the slide back is stout and the position of the hammer drop/safety doesn't help any. The DA trigger pull is heavy, my trigger pull scale only goes up to eight pounds and the trigger wasn't even beginning to move. The DA trigger pull isn't objectionable though. The single action registered a smooth 4.5 pounds.

After field stripping it and oiling it down I fired a couple quick mags of assorted .380 rounds and it handled everything without a problem. This PPK/S is uncomfortable to shoot, however, and the "duckbill" was already becoming painful only after a couple mags. I found using my forefinger to hold the trigger guard open worked well enough to get the slide off.

Overall, I found the fit, finish and quality of the PPK/S to be excellent and I am very pleased with mine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
According to the Walther website the DA pull is 13.4 lbs and the SA 6.1
Frankly they feel (to me) about half that due to the “clean and crisp” pull.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts