Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out shooting my P99 .40S&W today . It was 7 degrees and windy .
For the first time ever I had some FTF's . Out of the 50 rounds there were 4 FTF's . This was with PMC 165 grain FMJ/FP ammo . First time I tried this ammo . The gun was previously cleaned with BreakFree CLP , but I did not clean it after the last time to the range .
I also shot my P22 with Velocitors - flawless . Same cleaning regiment .
Didn't get to shoot my Sig P220 - got too cold .
Does anybody have any experiance shooting their P99's in cold weather ? Any lubricant suggestions ? Could it be the ammo ?
Vic

·
Registered
64 Posts
Specifically, what kind of FTF's? Ignition failures? Light primer strikes?

I am told that CLP can freeze and become sludgy at low temps. I also was on the range last week and we had an M4 exhibit constant light primer strike FTFs. We deduced it was the CLP freezing or sludging up (probably in the firing pin channel). It was about 20 degrees F.

Fortunately for us P99 owners, if the light primer strikes are a result of sludging lubricant in the striker channel, you can disassemble the striker and wipe it free of lubricant. Sentry Solutions Moly dry lubricants are an excellent alternative to liquids and avoid many of the liquid pitfalls.

Tim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rounds did not chamber all the way , the slide would stop 1/4" before lock-up , requiring a nudge on the back of the slide . This is the coldest I have been out with my guns .
Vic

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll bet it's the CLP gumming up among other things. Almost certainly a good dry lube like Sentry Solutions' products would reduce if not totally prevent this type of malfunction in any temp. They do require reapplication and touching up after significant use.

Tim

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm also betting on it being the CLP. Try some FP-10....really good product. Better lube and protectant than CLP, and no teflon. Made my P99 trigger smooth as can be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: CLP...
Interesting, I use CLP on all of my handguns.
I was out yesterday here in the frigid NE, and experienced no issues with the P99 or P22.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little tid-bit on my CLP . It is about 8 years old and I have gotten to the very bottom of my 1/2 gal bottle . There is some milky sediment/sludge on the bottom of the bottle . I am wondering if that is the culprit .
Thanks for your suggestions on lubricants , I will get some this weekend .
Vic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts