Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the front sight set screw - the one that holds the sight in? Mine disappeared during a front sight swap...

Length, width, thread depth/pitch. I assume it's a metric screw (?), although I used a 3/64" allen wrench on it.

I'm asking because the local shop had to order one from Germany - apparently none of the Canadian distributors stock this part. It could take months - if I know the size of the screw I can just order a few from the local industrial supply house.

thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
sounds like a good excuse to get night sights. I have no idea what size screw it is. It would be hard to measure the length, diameter, and pitch even if you had one. You might try earls. I am sure they should have some laying around. May even try a watch shop that works on european stuff.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
It's a 3/16" Hex.  -Unless they changed it, I don't know how you used an allen wrench on it.

Try Walther's / S&W's Customer Service to get a replacement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Feb. 26 2005,2:20)]It's a 3/16" Hex.  -Unless they changed it, I don't know how you used an allen wrench on it.
mine is a tiny allen head screw but i dont know size

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (alex @ Feb. 26 2005,3:05)]mine is a tiny allen head screw but i dont know size
-Interesting...  I guess they did change it.  

I'd still contact Walther's / S&W's customer service dept. for a replacement part.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Feb. 26 2005,2:20)]It's a 3/16" Hex.  -Unless they changed it, I don't know how you used an allen wrench on it.
We must be talking about different things - it's the small set screw under the sight that you can see in this diagram.

S&W in the US told me to call a Canadian distributor, which is how we ended up here.  I believe that's it for Walther in North America - is there a separate NA supplier (other than Earls)?

Measuring it would be easy with a thread gauge - that tells you the pitch and whether it's metric or imperial, then you grab the other dimensions with a set of calipers.  Metric and imperial have standard sizes, so just match-up the measurement to one of those (e.g., #5-40) and go to an industrial supply shop.  Of course, I don't have one to do it with... I shoot with a guy on Tuesdays who has a P99 - maybe he can bring it out and let me have at it with gauges etc.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (acrashb @ Feb. 26 2005,8:23)]
[b said:
We must be talking about different things - it's the small set screw under the sight that you can see in this diagram.
Yeah, it's the same part, but mine came with a 3/16" Hex instead of the screw you described.

The dealer I bought my P99 from had intended to make it his carry gun until he changed his mind.  -He may have changed out the sights for night sights and when he decided to sell it instead, changed it back with this screw which seems to be the standard for the Trijicon night sights.  It was never a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another board member sent me a screw (thanks!).  I also measured up a friend's sight screw... if you ever lose one you can get a new one here:

They look like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts