Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Trijicon suppressor height sights for a Glock build I'm doing. When I went to install the front sight the screw stops at about 3 rotations leaving at least 2mm of slack which prevents the sight from even being remotely tight.
Trijicon is going to send some shorter screws but I was hoping to have this for the weekend.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to shorten the screw without messing up the threads?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,807 Posts
Do you have room for a washer? I picked up these little rascals at a local 'hobby shop'.....used one of them when I was using Glock front sights in my PPQ slides.....that was before anyone was offering anything for the PPQ.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good question. It looks like a tight fit but there may be more room than I think.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Conventional wisdom for cutting a screw requires a nut of the same size as a thread chaser after you've shortened the screw. Sometimes the threads can be cleaned with magnification and a really fine file.
Our local, really good, hardware store does offer gunsmith thread screws.
Moon

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally I'd use a dremel with a nut but it's so small I doubt I'd be able to get a grip on it enough to not send it flying across the room.

Any thoughts on the size nut I would need?

·
Premium Member
13,807 Posts
Pretty sure a washer would work for you. I used this method numerous times on my Q's. I've cut and shortened many bolts...have used a nut a time or two, but mostly just cut and use a file to clean up the threads. But, I have no idea how to work with a bolt/screw as tiny as the one used for the front sight.

This is a Glock front sight that I've modified with JB Weld to fit the slot in a PPQ. But then I had the same problem you are having, the screw was just an rch too long. I took the easy way out and used a washer. Never had one of these sights loosen up.

And, here it is installed.......piece-o-cake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pretty sure a washer would work for you. I used this method numerous times on my Q's. I've cut and shortened many bolts...have used a nut a time or two, but mostly just cut and use a file to clean up the threads. But, I have no idea how to work with a bolt/screw as tiny as the one used for the front sight.

This is a Glock front sight that I've modified with JB Weld to fit the slot in a PPQ. But then I had the same problem you are having, the screw was just an rch too long. I took the easy way out and used a washer. Never had one of these sights loosen up.

View attachment 94849

View attachment 94850

And, here it is installed.......piece-o-cake.
View attachment 94851
Yes a washer would help I think he should look into that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Is there enough clearance between the bolt head and the barrel to add a washer? If so, that would be the easy fix.
I have a pin vise that will let me hold a really small bolt, and take a file to it.
Best answer; wait for the right part.
Moon

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if there's clearance for the washer, I didn't have any in my workshop small enough to fit.

I'm hoping they sent out the screws but I haven't gotten anything yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Again, we have a great, locally owned, hardware that does have lots of oddball hardware. They are generally pretty patient with me rooting around back there, doing some third-world (!) engineering...sometimes involving firearms. Made an aperture rear sight for the .32 Scorp...fortunately didn't have to take it along in.
For the OP, be patient for the screw; things are really loused up right now. Still waiting for a sideplate screw for a buddy's Taurus... :(
Moon

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just about to order the washers from ebay then in the mail yesterday the screws Trijicon sent came in and the shortest one fit perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts