Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sorry for my terrible english.
I'm here as a recent owner of what means to be a "Olympia pistole", may be a "jaegerschafts model" circa 1932.

Mine :

walther olympia jaegerschafts model collectorsfirearms-01

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A german friend of mine told me that this model was specially made for rich hunters. But I wonder, how a counterweight could be useful for the" coup de grâce" ? Probably those hunters were both shooters ? Pentathlets ?

Who could tell me more ?
A lot of thanks by advance.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Welcome aboard, Lionrobe; it's nice to have you here. You are fortunate, indeed, to own that pistol; I've been on the hunt for one like it for years, but finding the right one at the right price is no easy task in the USA. The pistol was designed for target shooting; hunting with it would have been a secondary use. Manfred Kersten's book "Walther: A German Legend" has some good material on the Olympia pistols (along with everything else that Walther has made through the years) and might be a good investment for you. An internet search should turn up a copy in your neighborhood, I would think.

Thanks for sharing your good fortune. Enjoy your time on the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, a lot of thanks for kind words. I noticed the book, actually a bit too expensive for me.

My german friend added that H.Goering choosed the Olympia pistole as an oustanding weapon which fitted well to distinguish the rich hunter's society.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That's likely true; the Olympia pistol was a favorite of the well-to-do because of its outstanding craftsmanship. It's logical that hunters would have used it, though its principal use was for target shooting. You are fortunate to have it. It appears from the photos to have some pitting on the barrel at the muzzle. You might want to take a good look there and make sure that no pockets of rust are active.

Thanks again for sharing it with us ... it's nice to have you here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, just got the Walther back from my gunsmith, in 2 parts like law says in France.
For now, I'm unable to reassembly in full safety my gun, and I did not find some youtube vidéo or else to understand what to do. I did'nt find here not.
Does anybody know where I have any chance ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, finally found what to unblock to solve my problem !

Really a superb gun. Can't wait my first shooting !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought to buy a counterweight at Numrich's store, but there was nothing.

Any idea where to find or bid ?

Many thanks by advance.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You could try placing a WTB ad in the Trading Post section of this forum, just in case someone might have one and would be willing to part with it. But that would be a fortunate break. You also might try Randy Bessler at Collector Firearms in Carson City. Here's a link:

www.Collectorfirearms.org

Good luck; I'll bet that it will be difficult to find it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a counterweight that came from one of the Norinco clones. I would be willing to sell it. It fits my original Walther perfectly. If you are interested, send me a PM. KK

I thought to buy a counterweight at Numrich's store, but there was nothing.

Any idea where to find or bid ?

Many thanks by advance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts