Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just acquired a used German police P5 (distributed by SOG). While not in "excellent" condition (as advertised) it is in very good condition (for the price not too bad). I notice that the frame rails have retained their finish except one place. There is some wear on the top side of the rails about even with the front of the chamber. Is this normal? The frame itself has some wear (not just the finish).

·
Registered
306 Posts
I guess you are pointing to the spots (left and right) where the locking block hits the frame upon unlocking. This is normal and I should not worry unless other forum members have different opinions ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E.T.,
You are correct. It appears to be at the points where the locking block hits the frame. The "wear" is uniform (even) on both the right and left. Just for my information, what is the "life" of the alloy frame?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Coincidentally, this question was recently raised on the P38 Forum with regard to the Walther P1 alloy frame. The issue seems to be a constant topic of discussion among owners of alloy-framed guns, especially those who have recently acquired them.

An article by the late George Nonte in the March 1973 issue of "Shooting Times" addressed the topic (it's on Page 32, for those of you who still have their magazine collections in storage). Mr. Nonte spent more than a week running upwards of 7,000 rounds of ammunition through both a Walther P1 and an S&W 39 in an effort to determine if any harm would come to the guns under the strain of constant firing. No problems were noted.

One of the adages of German police guns is that they were often carried, seldom fired. It's more than likely that your P5 will give you many years of quality service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Continuing question

Thanks for the replies.
I am impressed with the engineering on the P5, but continue to be wonder about this particular gun. The alloy frame (as already noted above) is worn at the lock up points. The ware consists of some wearing away of the frame at the lock up points - sufficient enough to feel. The wear is on the inside of the rails. Also the slide to frame fit has some give to it.
Since I have not had an opportunity to examine a new P5, or see one as it wears over use, I do not have a sense of what is normal. Would such wear be normal for a P5 or has this particular gun has seen more that the "typical" police use?
I am considering going through the hassle of returning it to SOG. Also, it did not come with the advertised holster.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
It's hard to say without examining the gun or at least seeing a photo or two of the trouble spots in question. In fact, many of the German police issues were often carried, seldom fired, and yours could be an anomaly. If you are not happy with it, and it came to you missing its holster and in a condition other than advertised (S.O.G. says that its P5s are "super quality and excellent condition ... these pistols are beautiful!"), by all means send it back. S.O.G. also advertises "100% satisfaction guaranteed! Or ... your money back!" It would be a mistake to second-guess yourself on a gun, particularly one as well-made as the P5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks searcher451,
I attempted to add a couple of pictures of the frame, but was unsuccessful. The points of wear appear similar to "white arrows" on the frame. The frame rails appear to be evenly worn. Maybe some could mount photos of "normal" frame wear for me to compare.
Thanks, again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The "white arrows" may be considered as typical and normal printings from the locking block against the frame. They should not propagate as the further downward movement of the locking block during unlocking is stopped by the transversal hexagonal steel reinforcement pin. Unfortunately I can not send any pictures as the frame of my P5 isn't black anymore (i.e. sandblasted and anodized, keeping the white color). Prior to the refinishing it also showed the arrows. Hope this info was useful ...

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The "white arrows" may be considered as typical and normal printings from the locking block against the frame. They should not propagate as the further downward movement of the locking block during unlocking is stopped by the transversal hexagonal steel reinforcement pin. Unfortunately I can not send any pictures as the frame of my P5 isn't black anymore (i.e. sandblasted and anodized, keeping the white color). Prior to the refinishing it also showed the arrows. Hope this info was useful ...
In theory that is correct. In practice less so. The severity of wear marks on the frame and barrel of P5, P45 and P38/P1 pistols are a good illustration of why locking blocks are selectively fitted and are not 'drop-in" replacements. The locking block is the major place where many manufacturing tolerances are reconciled, and while a less-than-perfect fit may be functional, problems will show up later with extended use.

I'm making no judgment about this particular pistol, as I don't think an evaluation is possible without first-hand examination.

M

·
Registered
306 Posts
Very interesting (one is never too old to learn !). If possible, I would very much like to view any pictures of comparable frames (i.e. other Walther P5 pistols, Walther P38, Beretta and Taurus 92 series, ...)

Last question : if the locking block is not a 'drop-in' part, why isn't it marked with the gun's serial number as are the barrel, frame and slide ?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Here is some pics of what I think you guys are all talking about....
this is of my lightly used P5..... I think the wear would be normal.... also some slight play side to side of the slide on the rails... not much but maybe 1mm play just enough to notice it by hand movement....
sorry for the poor pics... :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Ummm
Mike want to tell me what I don't know...
this P5 is LNIB hardly shot 150 rounds :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The locking block is not slapping down flat on the top of the frame, but appears to be wedging down the corners of the frame bevels. That doesn't seem right....

M

1 - 19 of 19 Posts