Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My P-99 AS in 9 mm just had its frame break after 5000+ rounds. It broke on the right side where a little pin goes through it. This is nowhere close to where the slide would put any force on it. It is jsut a little chunk of plastic that broke off turning it into a sometimes Double Action only P99. Has anybody seen this in the past?

Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't get a picture to show it. The piece that broke is about a 1/16" square and the black on black jsut doesn't show up. The broekn pice is part of the frame and that is what is puzzling me. Looking at the part I cn;t see how it ever got any load put to it unless the frame flexs on firing a whole bunch more than what I imagine. Oh well, its off to the gun shop in a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like the fire control group. The pin secures a small cam that guides the trigger bar. So now you can't release the striker with the trigger.

Yours is the third example of this kind of breakage, including mine, that I'm aware of.

Can't figure out why it breaks, as is should be under zero stress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have about 1100 rounds thru my P99 9mm and I noticed today, while cleaning it, that there is a crack starting to develop at exactly the same place you mentioned.
After removing the slide I pulled the trigger and I can see the crack appearing.
It's still in one piece but I wonder for how long.

Anybody has an idea what's the fix for that?
Do I have to replace the whole frame?

Andy

·
Registered
328 Posts
You need to contact Walther USA and send the gun back.

Obniously it is not going to be possible to repair a frame at home .

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a 2003 (AD).

I have been looking a the spare part list and found out that it's not the frame that has a problem.
The part in question is called fire control assembly.
I'll see if I can take some pictures this Sunday.

I'd love to call Walther USA, it appears their service is good, but I live in the Philippines, anyway they have a distributor in Manila.
I'm German but have been living here for 20 years.
Originally I was looking for a Glock but then a friend of mine told me about the P99 and once I tried it I just loved it. Even with this problem I'm still happy with it.

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy @ July 15 2005,06:51)]It's a 2003 (AD).

I have been looking a the spare part list and found out that it's not the frame that has a problem.
The part in question is called fire control assembly.
I'll see if I can take some pictures this Sunday.

I'd love to call Walther USA, it appears their service is good, but I live in the Philippines, anyway they have a distributor in Manila.
I'm German but have been living here for 20 years.
Originally I was looking for a Glock but then a friend of mine told me about the P99 and once I tried it I just loved it. Even with this problem I'm still happy with it.

Andy
The same thing happened to mine after 20 000 rounds. Its one of the Smith/Walther .40.
Called custommer service and they sent me a new triger assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got some great news the other day. Smith and Wesson told me that they were not going to be able to fix my P99 .40 (part of the frame near the firing assembly cracked) Instead they told me they would send me a brand new P99. I am picking it up at my FFL tomorrow.

·
Registered
328 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (reddawn @ Aug. 12 2005,18:35)]I just got some great news the other day. Smith and Wesson told me that they were not going to be able to fix my P99 .40 (part of the frame near the firing assembly cracked) Instead they told me they would send me a brand new P99. I am picking it up at my FFL tomorrow.
Are they replacing it with the same version or are you stuck with a QA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts