Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and PPKs’. Picked up a 1978 dated Interarms Import. “HI” and antler on the right side of frame and not on the barrel. Most all PPKS type pistols seem to be date proofed on the barrel hood. Why would this one be different? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
From 1968 to 1976 the PPK/S pistols got their date code on the barrel hood. During a much longer time frame, from 1977 to 1999, the proof with the date code were applied on the frame too but near the trigger like on your PPK/S. So everything is okay.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
...Picked up a 1978 dated Interarms Import. “HI” and antler on the right side of frame and not on the barrel. Most all PPKS type pistols seem to be date proofed on the barrel hood. Why would this one be different? Just curious.
In both cases the Ulm antler and date are on the frame. What you are calling the "barrel hood" (seen through the ejection port) is in fact part of the frame, not the barrel. It's what I call the barrel "boss", since it is a lug-like projection on the top of the frame which provides a mounting point for the barrel.

The only proof on the barrel itself is the nitro proof near the muzzle, usually on the right side.

M

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True. I was looking at the action yesterday and realized that fact. The fixed barrel is of course attached to this housing chamber which is part of the receiver (frame).
My frame proof (Ulm antler) and letter dated PPKS is pretty well worn, mostly uncared for probably, and I was wondering if the proof and date were worn off the barrel “boss “ as you call it. But I’ve come to learn this is common process for the pistols made in this date range. Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.