Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the other day that the left side of the slide release lever protruded out just a little and might have been cause of a few slide locks I had the other day.

Tapped it loose as I had done twice before in the year of owning this gun. When I went to reinsert slide lever and set the right hand piece the portion of the frame slotted to hold the right hand piece cracked. Kinda surprised as I had no issues removing and replacing before.

Called to see if there was anything I could do as far as sending in for repair and was told that gun was ruined. Id be fine to pay for any repairs if no warranty, but was told they cannot do a thing.

Is this a known thing with walther repairs, service etc.? Between myself and some family members I've never had any problems dealing with some other companies for firearms issues. Usually just mail it off and either they fix or maybe some cost required.

Ive seen this issue pops up now and again on some message boards. Anyone know of some options for repair or is this gun now just a paperweight?

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Called to see if there was anything I could do as far as sending in for repair and was told that gun was ruined. Id be fine to pay for any repairs if no warranty, but was told they cannot do a thing.

Did they tell you that it was not covered under warranty so you would have to pay for the part and labor or did they actually tell you they would not perform the work? Did you ask about buying the part only.....that way you could install it?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What loads were you using?

I'd not write the entire gun off.

You can find frames on Gunbroker and other places.

Or sell your slide.

That's what i'd do if my Walthers ever develop a crack like that.

Polymer isn't perfect, no matter what Grock says.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies. Said that the warranty doesn't cover that since it's the firearm. Won't even look at it and said there was no options for repair even at a cost. I'm fine with buying a new frame but they made it sound like that wasn't possible due to it being the serialized firearm part of gun.

After getting off phone I did some looking around and called a place called Earls that had been mentioned. They sell the bare frame but he quoted me something like $295. Seemed high since some prior post mentioned them going for 150 or so.

Trying to figure out some options. I can buy a used one for about the same as I was quoted for the bare frame. If it was 200 or so if have no problem. Sucks because I have had no issue removing this piece before and putting it back in. The catch that secures the right side lever to frame just snapped with little force being applied.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will this Q 5 frame work on a 4 inch ppq?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/777732020

I think that would be a cool setup.
I don't think so unfortunately. Think I actually came across a thread where some one has tried something similar with no luck.

Pretty disappointed in the customer service at walther and how hard it is to find this replacement.

Whole thing kinda soured me to the brand and I think I'm just going to go with another manufacturer rather than deal with the hassle of trying to get a bare replacement frame for $300 or spend the time and effort hunting a deal down then replacing parts into it.

Would have gladly worked with walther on any cost that would have come with fixing this. Even if it meant repair fees and ffl transfers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Maybe I missed something. I thought the lower/frames were the same size. Just a 5" slide w cut outs, red dot plate, and fancy iron sights and blue coated trigger.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
This is the second report that mentions that Walther Arms does not replace frames on 99-series pistols when the damage was caused by user error.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh, a P99.

I can say if you move onto something else..

look at a PPQ, or MOD 2 9mm

·
Registered
287 Posts
That Mod 2 gun is fugly to boot.[/QUOTE said:
But at least you know where to grip it.

;)

Reactions: 23738

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't th8nk I ever said it wasn't my fault.
Found a good deal on a canik tp9sfx and just got that instead of bothering with finding new frame. Most likely see if a few guys at my range want to buy some of the ppq parts at this point unless I come across a frame I think is worth the price.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I don't th8nk I ever said it wasn't my fault.
Not at all. You were very straight forward with your explanation.

I was just saying that it seems that this is Walther's policy as this is the second time I've heard a report like this.

The Canik pistols had a drop safety recall not too long ago. I'd suggest looking up the serial number before purchase in case the pistol is used or new old stock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for reply. Yea I checked the canik before buying for those exact same reasons. New gun and i think I'm good based off number and holster that came with it.

Shame because I really liked the ppq. Just all the sudden noticed a few issues with either the slide not locking on last round or locking occasionally when rapid firing during a friendly match at local range.

Hadnt had an issue since first purchase about 7 months ago. Noticed the lever was protruding a bit on left side and downhill from there trying to fix.

Oh well I appreciate all the replies and links. Maybe I'll find something to fix issue worth the time and money. Best of luck to you all with your walther.

·
Registered
300 Posts
CANIKS are sweet Walther copies.

I know a guy who wants a CANIK< instead of a PPQ because
the Canik grip is shorter for his small hands.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad you're a. Internet fan boy w8th what yo u think is a clever wit . Just posting an issue bud. Glad you made yourself chuckle.

The canik has actually impressed me so far. Maybe try it out?

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I'm glad you're a. Internet fan boy w8th what yo u think is a clever wit . Just posting an issue bud. Glad you made yourself chuckle.

The canik has actually impressed me so far. Maybe try it out?
Calm down junior, there wasn't any hate in his post.

I have handled a couple of Caniks, and I was impressed. Hell of a lot of gun, considering the cost and what it comes with. The one downside?

The money goes back inside the border of a terrorist supporting country.

For some, that's probably the only hangup with Canik.

Some wiseass will pop up and say if it breaks, it'll take awhile to get parts.

I had to wait several weeks when my PPS broke in 2013. At the time, it was only months old and had less than 150 rounds through it.

Put it this way, the Canik may be (or may not be) an unlicensed copy of a Walther design, but I'll take it any day over a Taurus, Ruger, Glock, Highpoint, and Remington pistol.

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
I'm always doing a little peekin', pokin', proddin', and whack-ah-doin'. Always needing some extra parts or broken guns.

I'd be interested in purchasing your broken PPQ. Who knows....maybe I can fix it. No harm in trying.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts